I'm looking to move from a 2 year old Q to the Curve in the next couple of days, now that my contract is up. Beyond the obvious of the year difference, what are some of the differences or benefits between signing a 1 or 2 year contract? I know the phones are typically a little bit cheaper. 2 years just seems like a long time to be locked into a contract for a $50 or $100 difference.
    08-16-08 08:55 AM
    I'm looking to move from a 2 year old Q to the Curve in the next couple of days, now that my contract is up. Beyond the obvious of the year difference, what are some of the differences or benefits between signing a 1 or 2 year contract? I know the phones are typically a little bit cheaper. 2 years just seems like a long time to be locked into a contract for a $50 or $100 difference.
    You do get the device cheaper at a 2 yr contract price. But also people arent changing carriers once a year there arent that many good ones to go around. If you do stay with a carrier for 2 years then you get some benefits that you normally wouldnt get in a 1 year contract i.e. early upgrades, courtesy credits and things like that. Cell phone carriers are interested in longevity and they try to reduce churn as much as possible.

I hope this helps a little. GOOD LUCK!
    08-16-08 09:02 AM
    hes right, most carriers dont even offer a one year contract, and if they do, your gonna be paying more for the phone initially. The carriers themselves usually end up losing money on the phones and make up for it will your monthly contract. That basically guarantees that they will get there money out of the deal.
    08-16-08 09:17 AM
    With Verizon, looking at the curve.

No contract - $430
    1 Year - $170
    2 Year - $100

The majority of the discount is built into the 1 year contract. Thats why I'm asking. With the 1 year contract you can upgrade again in 10 months and with the 2 year its 20 months. From my experience, smartphones seem to have a life of around 12 months or so before something goes wrong and they need to be replaced. I mighted by jaded by the fact that I've gone through 4 or so Moto Q's in the 20 months I've had it. By 12 months though, the warranty is gone and it becomes a bigger pain in the a** to get replaced. You either need to pay for an extended warranty or insurance.
    08-16-08 09:33 AM
    MOto Q's in general had problems, so I understand your conern. BB on the other hand are very stable and reliable. Even on 2yr contract you can upgrade after 1yr. You just do not get the NE2. What you do get is the 2 year pricing plus any rebates that are available. Also at that time it will give a new contract as well.
    08-16-08 09:40 AM

You either need to pay for an extended warranty or insurance.
    You need to get insurance anyway not just because the device may have problems but people using the device have problems as well. For some odd reason we like to take our phones in the bathroom while we shower or the other sh word. We hang around swimming pools and some of our kids use them as chew toys. LOL In other words "GET THE INSURANCE" or you will be following this link soon.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...ckberry-32322/
    08-16-08 09:46 AM
    ALso if you get the insurance the 5.99 one, this extends the MFG warr for the second year
    08-16-08 09:53 AM
    The moto q just has problems all on its own the one I had was not even 2months old and I had changed it twice already so its worth getting a bb
    And curve at that and with verizon you can test drive it for a month and see if you like wich you would so with that welcome to the best adiction out there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-08 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD