08-20-14 06:37 AM
33 12
tools
    Your options:

1) Read the Android Central thread (over 100 pages) about how to upgrade and keep unlimited data on Verizon. The easiest way only works if you are currently on a Family Plan. I did this in December 2013 for the Z30.

2) Upgrade normally and lose unlimited data while staying on your current plan.

3a) Upgrade and switch to More Everything (losing unlimited data) and after your new contract is up you will have the line access fee reduced based on how many GB you pay for.

3b) Switch to More Everything (losing unlimited data) without upgrading and get an immediate line access fee discount based on how many GB you pay for.

3c) Upgrade and switch to More Everything (losing unlimited data) AND enroll in Edge. You will be paying a monthly Edge charge (equal to retail cost divided by 24 months) and have your line access fee reduced based on how many GB you pay for.

4) Do nothing and continue to pay the built-in subsidy price without getting a new device.

I recommend option 1. Let me know if you have further questions.

Posted via CB10
    05-28-14 11:08 PM
    The bottom line is that if you don't upgrade your phone when your contract is up then you are essentially throwing away about $12-$15 per month. The price of the upgrade phone is subsidized. You will pay $200 to upgrade to phone that cost $650 to buy off contract whether or not you upgrade at 18 months or 48 months.

That's what I really got me off of Palm smart phones onto an iPhone in 2009. Palm got stuck on the Treo 680 for something like three years with no update and I knew that something like $15 a month was going to AT&T to subsidize an upgrade. That's why it's death for a smart phone company in the US to go two years without an upgrade on any given carrier.
    05-28-14 11:10 PM
    I know that when I grab a new device from Verizon that my monthly bill obviously includes a certain amount to pay-off the subsidized rate for the phone. If I cancelled my contract before it had expired, I would have to pay a penalty based on the "remaining value" (or whatever). But now that my contract naturally expired and I have not taken advantage of any upgrade, should my monthly bill be reduced? Well, I know - HA, HA. But is there any negotiation room with Verizon. Anyone ever follow up on this type of issue?

Background: Old grandfathered calling plan, UNlimited data, I purchased a brand new Z10 privately - got sim from Verizon and insurance since no warranty since I was not original purchaser.

Thanks for any insights (or incites!)
    Here's my two cents...
    the only negotiation room with VZW will come from their side. they will negotiate your UDP away in three seconds with a MAX 6GB data plan for 30 a month or the single line plan w/2GB data for $70

DON'T DO IT!!! keep the unlimited as long as you can....

my presumptions for your monthly costs are: 99 for unlimited t/t and 30 for UDP + taxes...>$150 a month
    if you goto 6max plan and the charge is $60 + $30 and $15 GB overage calculate your bill based on your usage and see what wins for you
    if you go $70 single line, I'm not sure of the overage charges, but I'm sure its not pretty. lol

I'm just keeping (and using) my UDP, because vzw INSISTED I needed a data plan with a BB on VZW when I signed up in 2009....(28.289GB last month)

Buy your next device outright too..

I hope you find a way to reduce your costs, just don't give up something you may not get back...
    peter0328 likes this.
    05-31-14 06:36 PM
    The discounted rate is for a contracted term length, rather than pay month to month.

The rate for the plan is the same no matter what.

But without buying a new phone, there is no cancellation fee.

So there was some kind of charge for the phone even if buried in a contract calling for termination fees?

So, if I walked into Verizon today and SIGNED a new contract but passed on any phone upgrade I would get some reduced monthly rate? I don't think so.
    06-10-14 11:56 AM
    Better options out there nowadays than Verizon. Tmobile is offering good plans. Att lte works really well and their rural coverage seems very good. Verizon is overpriced in most situations, unless that's a persons only option but that seems rare these days.
    06-15-14 08:01 AM
    If you have unlimited data I don't think they'll do anything unless you drop it and move to a share everything plan

Posted via CB10
    06-15-14 07:09 PM
    People that push t mobile over vzw like it's a no brainer HAVE to live in a city and never go anywhere. In my neck of the woods, t mobile, att sprint and many others are non existent. Vzw and us cellular are the choice I have.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-14 11:01 PM
    People that push t mobile over vzw like it's a no brainer HAVE to live in a city and never go anywhere. In my neck of the woods, t mobile, att sprint and many others are non existent. Vzw and us cellular are the choice I have.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly my choices are Verizon or us cellular. That's it

Posted via CB10
    08-20-14 06:37 AM
33 12