I am considering a switch from my T-Mobile Curve 8320 to a Verizon Wireless Tour 9630.

Service-wise, I'm expecting a dramatic improvement. I cannot begin to tell you how often my wife gets service on her VZW Curve while I'm in SOS with my T-Mobile Curve. Additionally, her Blackberry Internet service is about 4x faster (if not more) than mine.

So here are a few questions:

* I've heard some complaints about the Tour. It's my understanding that follow-up shipments have shown improvements. Is this correct?

* For those that have added the Mobile Broadband Connect tethering option, how have your experiences been?

* Does Visual Voice Mail actually work well?

* American Airlines is offering 4,000 bonus miles if you purchase via Simplexity (blackberry.com/aa). There is no activation fee ($35 savings) and the device is $79.99 compared to $149.99 via VZW. Am I overanalyzing this? Is it a no-brainer to order via Simplexity?

* Are you aware of any ways to get a discount / activation waive at a VZW store?

Thanks, in advance, to all for your answers!
    Last edited by daveinchicago; 12-16-09 at 12:26 PM.
    12-16-09 12:13 PM
    I am considering a switch from my T-Mobile Curve 8320 to a Verizon Wireless Tour 9630.

Service-wise, I'm expecting a dramatic improvement. I cannot begin to tell you how often my wife gets service on her VZW Curve while I'm in SOS with my T-Mobile Curve. Additionally, her Blackberry Internet service is about 4x faster (if not more) than mine.

So here are a few questions:

* I've heard some complaints about the Tour. It's my understanding that follow-up shipments have shown improvements. Is this correct?

* For those that have added the Mobile Broadband Connect tethering option, how have your experiences been?

* Does Visual Voice Mail actually work well?

* American Airlines is offering 4,000 bonus miles if you purchase via Simplexity (blackberry.com/aa). There is no activation fee ($35 savings) and the device is $79.99 compared to $149.99 via VZW. Am I overanalyzing this? Is it a no-brainer to order via Simplexity?

* Are you aware of any ways to get a discount / activation waive at a VZW store?

Thanks, in advance, to all for your answers!
    Here are some answers

I have yet to experience this "better" hardware on the Tour, so its hit or miss with the trackball on the device.

Can not speak to Mobile Broadband as I don't use it but I know it works well. Signal is key.

People running leaked OS's on the Tour are having issues with VVM but other then that it works fine. Not as solid as it should be.

If you can get a discount and fees waived, take it. Just take a look at any additional warranty options they may have, because you won't be able to go to VZW for the first 30 days.

Activation is either waived as an online promotion or you get it waived as part of an employee discount. Some times reps will waive them in store, but thats not guaranteed. And someone posted here that if you prove that another place is selling the device for cheaper, that the store rep will match, but thats not policy so it may not be offered.

Hope that helps
    12-16-09 01:07 PM
    Would have been nice if they had matched it when I bought my S2.. I paid the $206 for it, when I could have gotten it at wirefly for like $1 lol
    12-16-09 03:06 PM
    Would have been nice if they had matched it when I bought my S2.. I paid the $206 for it, when I could have gotten it at wirefly for like $1 lol
    Yeah that is not confirmed, and VZW does not offer price matches to 3rd party retailers, I doubt that it happened. But thats what I heard around the forums here.
    12-16-09 03:09 PM
    The thing with wirefly is not only are you in a contract with VZW (or whoever of that matter), but you are also in a contract for the first 2 years with wirefly; so if something happens, you have 2 ETF to pay. So check into that to make sure you dont have a possible extra charge.

My tethering works pretty good. You have to use VZW launcher and program but it all works pretty well. I have a few unable to load pages, but not very many.

I dont have visual voicemail, I just hold #1 lol.

Knock on wood Ive had no issues with my Tour (knock on wood again). I had miserable experiences with my Storm and switched to the tour and is 100% improvement.

Also, depending on who you work for, you can get discounts and fees waived. I know my company I get a 21% monthly discount off everything, 25% on accessories, and my Activations were waived. So just have them check your employer.
    12-16-09 03:19 PM
    Vzw does not price match.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-17-09 07:10 AM
    Vzw does not price match.

Yeah there's a lot of things that they shouldn't do, but still do anyway.
    12-17-09 09:16 AM
    That's not one of them.

12-17-09 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD