04-10-09 09:08 PM
27 12
tools
    I'm considering switching services just for the bold but VZW service is phenominal, and after looking at the coverage maps, 3G/Edge is spotty in S.E. Michigan. I understand that Niagra is coming but I am still considering switching. Worth it? I do travel lightly and reliable service is super important.

Thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-05-09 06:40 PM
    If reliable service is that important, you don't want to go anywhere.

Check out a thread in this forum called http://forums.crackberry.com/f71/ver...ess-3g-193351/ for comparison coverage maps.

I know of several people who did exactly what you're thinking of doing - each one returned. One even ate the ETF to return.

04-05-09 06:55 PM
    Thank you. That's all I needed.

04-05-09 06:59 PM
    i'm not sure if it'll be worth it for you, but i'm personally looking forward to it, and admittedly partially because i want to stick with verizon. if i wasn't carrier-loyal, i'd go for the curve 8900
    04-05-09 07:04 PM
    If being in a spotty area is worth the switch to you then go ahead. Just know that an AT&T branded Bold doesn't give you the option to turn off 3G. So when you're in a bad coverage area, 3G and EDGE fight eachother for coverage and gives you big time battery drainage.
    04-05-09 07:12 PM
    Newbie here. I have decided to buy my first BB. I'm with Verizon, and can get the curve free (my contract was up in November). Should I wait longer for something better?
    04-05-09 07:26 PM
    Newbie here. I have decided to buy my first BB. I'm with Verizon, and can get the curve free (my contract was up in November). Should I wait longer for something better?
    Question of the year. Yes you can get the curve for free with a two contract renewal, or you can wait for the next BB device and then say wow this is nice, should I wait for the next one. The curve is a proven well made device that is also dependable.

Welcome to CB
    Last edited by lastraid; 04-05-09 at 07:48 PM.
    04-05-09 07:31 PM
    Question of the year. Yes you can get the curve for free with a two contract renewal, or you can wait for the next BB device and then say wow this is nice, should I wait for the next one. The curve is a provel well made device that is also dependable.

Welcome to CB
    I totally agree. I have a curve, just started my contract with VZW in december. With the release of the Niagara approaching, i am tempted to get the "newer, cooler blackberry, but I dont think I can cough up retail for the phone(just me personally). So I'd say get a solid, reliable, classic Curve for free and fall into the addiction.
    04-05-09 07:36 PM
    Thanks. I'm getting it sometime this week. Let the addiction begin!
    04-05-09 07:45 PM
    There is a reason Verizon has the most loyal customer base. Proven dependable.
    04-05-09 09:27 PM
    VZ is the best for reception hands down. I have a Bold on AT&T and in my area, it drops calls all of the time. As a business person, that is not acceptable. Now in other areas, I have read that their reception is good. So it depends on where you live and travel to but for my money, I am staying with VZ and get great reception wherever I go. I am using a Curve now but will get the Niagara when it drops and may have to pay full price but I am willing to do that.
    04-07-09 11:56 PM
    VZ is the best for reception hands down. I have a Bold on AT&T and in my area, it drops calls all of the time. As a business person, that is not acceptable. Now in other areas, I have read that their reception is good. So it depends on where you live and travel to but for my money, I am staying with VZ and get great reception wherever I go. I am using a Curve now but will get the Niagara when it drops and may have to pay full price but I am willing to do that.
    I agree. Unlike most people, while my personal phones have been on VZW or Airtouch for many, many years, my business phones have run the gamut - from AT&T to Cingular to Cellular One to USWest to Sprint/Nextel to T-Mobile. While I tried really hard to love T-Mobile, with their customer service & price, the coverage left me frustrated. Cingular & AT&T weren't bad, but Cingular CS was terrible and all GSM service was maddening with dropped calls & network-busy intercepts. Sprint/Nextel was a joke and USWest, while decent in customer service, dial-tone for dialup modems and low price, ran their 800MHz towers in their local metro areas & Sprint PCS 1900MHz out on the road. This meant no service in outlying areas away from major routes.

Some people are happy with the carriers they are on for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, some of those reasons are misconceptions and fallacy. Some are happy no matter what carrier they may have and others are never happy.

I happen to be rather picky about what I spend money on and that is why I choose VZW.

04-08-09 01:10 AM
    I am surrounded by at t us cell and sprint, verizon closest tower is 45 miles away, I stay with vzw, I use us cell towers and never drop calls, my data is dial up speed, but I will take reliability,and outstanding cs over anything else. Vzw may be a couple bucks more but I would rather spend my money with a company that cares about its customers, than switch to sprint for example who treat the customers like a number, everyone around me uses sprint and I hear some horror cs stories, no thank you, I will spend the extra buck.

04-08-09 05:49 AM
    I'm a long time verizon guy who recently switched from the Storm to the Bold. I've been with ATT for about 2 months now and my 3G service has been great. The Bold is a great phone. I personally switched for the phone, but come to find out the service really isn't that bad, at least in my area (Chicago Metro). That's just my 2 cents.
    04-08-09 04:23 PM
    Both are good services...I switched from the storm to the bold and i cant tell the difference yet as far as the services go...I haven't lost a call or signal,maybe im just lucky..
    04-08-09 05:42 PM
    I'm a long time verizon guy who recently switched from the Storm to the Bold. I've been with ATT for about 2 months now and my 3G service has been great. The Bold is a great phone. I personally switched for the phone, but come to find out the service really isn't that bad, at least in my area (Chicago Metro). That's just my 2 cents.
    And a good 2 cents it is. It shows that probably 80+% of all cell phone customers are happy with their service. Chicagoland/Crook County (sorry - had to throw than in for a laugh - no offense intended) probably has great coverage no matter which carrier.

Here's a possibly overlooked phenomenon - many of those who become unhappy with their carrier do so after reading (often unsubstantiated) thoughts on sites like this one.

You mean I can get free GPS on Sprint?

Now that you mention it, my AT&T connection is a bit slower than my friends VZW connection.

WiFi? What is WiFi? I want it!

A PINK BlackBerry? I really want that instead of my titanium one!

Never been to Lower Elbonia, but it sure would be nice if my phone works there! I am switching to T-Mobile!

People tend to want things they cannot have and often don't know they want it until someone tells them they can have it.

I say certain carriers are lousy, yet there are happy customers on those carriers. Your experience with AT&T proves that (even though I never said AT&T was lousy).

Hey folks - the techies here are in the minority. Most people don't give a rat's tail about the things we go on about, as long as they can connect when they need to where they need to.

The situation is this, though - when someone says something like "I am a customer of Carrier X and I am thinking about going to Carrier Y" and they post it in a Carrier Y forum, odds are they know the positives & negatives of Carrier X and are looking for experiences of current Carrier Y customers. They are not looking for arguments of anything slanted toward Carrier X.

If they wanted discussions from both sides (I am with Carrier B and am trying to decide between Carrier X and Carrier Y), then it is fair game, but the question should not be posed in either the forums of Carrier X, Y or B. It should be posted in a neutral forum.

For these dummies running into a VZW forum to badmouth VZW is as childish as it would be for any of us to head over to any other carrier forum screaming Carrier ________ sucks!

It doesn't work and simply makes people look at you as a troublemaker.

I once was excited about the Bold - then it was just another BlackBerry. Funny how they get old so fast.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 04-08-09 at 05:55 PM.
    04-08-09 05:51 PM
    AT&T is definitely not as bad as most people say.

And the Bold is definitely worth it.

04-08-09 05:54 PM
    And a good 2 cents it is. It shows that probably 80+% of all cell phone customers are happy with their service. Chicagoland/Crook County (sorry - had to throw than in for a laugh - no offense intended) probably has great coverage no matter which carrier.

Here's a possibly overlooked phenomenon - many of those who become unhappy with their carrier do so after reading (often unsubstantiated) thoughts on sites like this one.

You mean I can get free GPS on Sprint?

Now that you mention it, my AT&T connection is a bit slower than my friends VZW connection.

WiFi? What is WiFi? I want it!

A PINK BlackBerry? I really want that instead of my titanium one!

Never been to Lower Elbonia, but it sure would be nice if my phone works there! I am switching to T-Mobile!

People tend to want things they cannot have and often don't know they want it until someone tells them they can have it.

I say certain carriers are lousy, yet there are happy customers on those carriers. Your experience with AT&T proves that (even though I never said AT&T was lousy).

Hey folks - the techies here are in the minority. Most people don't give a rat's tail about the things we go on about, as long as they can connect when they need to where they need to.

The situation is this, though - when someone says something like "I am a customer of Carrier X and I am thinking about going to Carrier Y" and they post it in a Carrier Y forum, odds are they know the positives & negatives of Carrier X and are looking for experiences of current Carrier Y customers. They are not looking for arguments of anything slanted toward Carrier X.

If they wanted discussions from both sides (I am with Carrier B and am trying to decide between Carrier X and Carrier Y), then it is fair game, but the question should not be posed in either the forums of Carrier X, Y or B. It should be posted in a neutral forum.

For these dummies running into a VZW forum to badmouth VZW is as childish as it would be for any of us to head over to any other carrier forum screaming Carrier ________ sucks!

It doesn't work and simply makes people look at you as a troublemaker.

I once was excited about the Bold - then it was just another BlackBerry. Funny how they get old so fast.

Great point. I love verizon, has yet to fail me. I just want the Bold. Curve is cool but Bold is...Bold. Based on the coverage maps I would be fine. This Niagara or whatever it is better drop quik, I'm getn antsy. I had the Storm, the first Storm sold at a local BB and was so disappointed (especially since it was a b-day) gift. I cannot do touchscreen, phones great, I need buttons tho. If the Niagara doesn't do well, Bold it is.

04-09-09 07:18 AM
    Great point. I love verizon, has yet to fail me. I just want the Bold. Curve is cool but Bold is...Bold. Based on the coverage maps I would be fine. This Niagara or whatever it is better drop quik, I'm getn antsy. I had the Storm, the first Storm sold at a local BB and was so disappointed (especially since it was a b-day) gift. I cannot do touchscreen, phones great, I need buttons tho. If the Niagara doesn't do well, Bold it is.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Niagara = VZW version of BOLD? or is VZW releasing BOLD?

I am in the same boat as well but I am awaiting Niagara release. I would wait for Niagara release over the Curve because once you go get the Curve and Niagara releases, you're gonna try to figure out a way to get rid of the Curve to get the Niagara. Never fails. Last I heard, Niagara is due to release mid June?
    Last edited by dc1225; 04-09-09 at 11:18 AM.
    04-09-09 11:16 AM
    Someone please correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Niagara = VZW version of BOLD? or is VZW releasing BOLD?

I am in the same boat as well but I am awaiting Niagara release. I would wait for Niagara release over the Curve because once you go get the Curve and Niagara releases, you're gonna try to figure out a way to get rid of the Curve to get the Niagara. Never fails. Last I heard, Niagara is due to release mid June?
    At first glance, the two look alike, but recent reports tell us they are not the same. The Niagara is a bit trimmer - not big-handed like the Bold. It also has an improved piano-finish rear cover. There are also rumors of a better processor and better memory management.

Smaller than Bold, larger than Curve2.

The keyboards do look similar, though.

Rumor varies on release dates. I've seen May through August.

04-09-09 04:35 PM
    niagara seems like the obvious solution for someone on verizon that wants a bold without potentially sacrificing the great service verizon can provide.

wait it out!
    04-09-09 05:07 PM
    I love my Curve. When Niagara drops I will just add any extra line to my plan. That way I can test it out for 30days.
    04-09-09 05:12 PM
    At first glance, the two look alike, but recent reports tell us they are not the same. The Niagara is a bit trimmer - not big-handed like the Bold. It also has an improved piano-finish rear cover. There are also rumors of a better processor and better memory management.

Smaller than Bold, larger than Curve2.

The keyboards do look similar, though.

Rumor varies on release dates. I've seen May through August.

But there will not be a BOLD release on VZW, correct? So for all intentive purposes, essentially, Niagara is like a BOLD but for VZW as BOLD will not be relased on VZW.
    04-10-09 10:35 AM
    But there will not be a BOLD release on VZW, correct? So for all intentive purposes, essentially, Niagara is like a BOLD but for VZW as BOLD will not be relased on VZW.
    That is correct - from what we've seen, the Bold will now remain GSM only & the Niagara will be CDMA only, with a possibility of a later LTE revision.

Overall, the Bold is a nice piece - I feel there are design issues that make it feel lower quality than past BlackBerrys - but it is large. For big hands, like mine, this isn't an issue. For many, it is too big.

And what feels good even in big hands might not feel good on a belt or in a pocket/purse.

As for features, it makes sense that Niagara should at least match Bold/Storm capabilities, but that is still just speculation. I am looking for full GPS but no WiFi.

04-10-09 11:35 AM
    yeah, I agree....thanks! Hope they release it before I lose the fricking hard on!

P.S. I have huuuge hands as well....for the ladies that read this!
    04-10-09 02:11 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD