Hi eveyone,
    I am considering the Storm to relace my treo.This also means moving from Sprint to Verizon and I could use some advice.

I am an independant consultant who travels overseas occassionally, and to Canada monthly. I have two other family phones i want on the plan too (not blackberries). I don't want to tie myself down to one client's BES server so i think BIS is the way to go though will need to sync calendar locally (or is ther a better way to go).

Also, any gloabal or +canada plans to reduce the roaming cost seams to be expensive, and not an add on to the family share plan, so i am thinking that i should unlock the phone and use a GSM Sim when i travel. This should work for voice, but will it also work for BIS.

any other advice?

Thanks bbery newbie
    11-06-08 09:37 PM
    A BES server is for corporate phones for the lack of a longer explanation. Getting the storm or any bb for that matter for personal use will put you into a BIS plan which is cheaper than a standard data plan for other smartphones. If you travel overseas then the storm is the way to go. Welcome to the world of BB enjoy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-08 08:22 AM
    A BES server is for corporate phones for the lack of a longer explanation. Getting the storm or any bb for that matter for personal use will put you into a BIS plan which is cheaper than a standard data plan for other smartphones. If you travel overseas then the storm is the way to go. Welcome to the world of BB enjoy it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I think i understand the BIS BES difference, though if there is a clear concise explanation someone can point me to i would happily read through it. I am trying to figure out if I go BIS, unlock my phone and travel overseas will i be able t get to my data stuff (email, etc.) with a local SIM. From what i have read i believe that BES would not work if i take this route as the BBerry has a PIN that is registered with the provider (verizon in this case). is this also true with BIS?

thx
    11-07-08 08:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD