I tried to search for an answer to this because I am sure it has been answered before, but I have come up empty.

My husband and I currently have the 1400 minute shared plan with 4 lines on it. Both he and I have Storms and the obligatory BIS data plan and then we have added both my father and mother in law who have just plain jane phones.

Hubby and I got our Storms this summer and are not eligible for upgrade for a very long while. We are not particularly happy with the Storms and are looking to upgrade to new phones, potentially a droid type device. My MIL and FIL's phones are currently eligible for full upgrade.

Here is my question. Can we use the full upgrades for MIL and FIL's phones to get the upgrade price on droid devices when they come out and then just pay full retail to buy them basic phones?

I assume we would have to activate the driods on their numbers and then swap the numbers to my husband and my numbers. If I can do this, will I have to purchase and then cancel data plans for them once the numbers have been transferred?

Clear as mud?
    10-27-09 02:29 PM
    Order the phones on their lines, then activate them on your lines. They would keep their lines & phones.

You might want to call 611 to assist with activation, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 02:42 PM
    Its called an alternate upgrade, there's no need to activate it on their lines at all. That's what a VZW rep told me.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-09 03:01 PM
    I tried to search for an answer to this because I am sure it has been answered before, but I have come up empty.

My husband and I currently have the 1400 minute shared plan with 4 lines on it. Both he and I have Storms and the obligatory BIS data plan and then we have added both my father and mother in law who have just plain jane phones.

Hubby and I got our Storms this summer and are not eligible for upgrade for a very long while. We are not particularly happy with the Storms and are looking to upgrade to new phones, potentially a droid type device. My MIL and FIL's phones are currently eligible for full upgrade.

Here is my question. Can we use the full upgrades for MIL and FIL's phones to get the upgrade price on droid devices when they come out and then just pay full retail to buy them basic phones?

I assume we would have to activate the driods on their numbers and then swap the numbers to my husband and my numbers. If I can do this, will I have to purchase and then cancel data plans for them once the numbers have been transferred?

Clear as mud?
    You should try updating the OS on your storms and see if that makes a difference for you. Many people have upgraded the OS on the storm and fallen in love with their phone again. Best part of all, is that upgrade is free..!
    10-27-09 03:05 PM
    You should be able to order the devices on those lines by doing the upgrade. Then you can swap your numbers. You can then take off the BB plans and switch the lines from storms to the plain old phones they had previously.

1. do their upgrades

2. swap your phones with theirs and then swap numbers

3. change plan to non bb plan and activate plain old phones

It's a little complicated but should be doable. Remember, you can always do *228 option 3 to change devices on VZW or do so from the website. You can for help if you need to, but you should be able to take care of it all on your own. Good luck.
    10-27-09 03:11 PM
    As long as you're all on the same family share plan it's ok. If not things get a little more complicated.
    10-27-09 03:12 PM
    You should try updating the OS on your storms and see if that makes a difference for you. Many people have upgraded the OS on the storm and fallen in love with their phone again. Best part of all, is that upgrade is free..!
    Thanks for the advice, we have upgraded and I have been running leaked 5.0 OS's for quite some time. The device is certainly greatly improved, but I am still pretty frustrated with RIM and what appears to me to be a stagnant approach to improvements and moving forward.

Thanks to the others for the info as well. Looks like I can get a new phone sometime soon!
    10-27-09 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD