Hello,
    I am currently on a FamilyShare plan and upgraded my old phone in April, extending my contract into 2010.

However, now I would like to upgrade my phone to a BB.
    If I were to change my plan in any way, would that extend my contract and therefore allow me to get my BB at a discounted price?

If anyone needs me to provide further information in order to aid in answering, I will be happy to do so.
    Thank you.
    11-13-08 10:37 PM
    u might luck out and when switching to a blackberry and get 2 year pricing. id wait till the storm comes out. u will not be dissappointed. look to pay an extra 30 a month on ur bill if u get a blackberry.
    11-13-08 10:44 PM
    Not easy. You are only 7 months into your current contract. Unless you are a high value customer - long history with current carrier, higher rate plan, and paying on time every month.
    11-14-08 03:47 PM
    Pretty much what mikecc said. They may allow it after one year but I doubt it after only 7-8 months. Your best bet would be to talk to a manager at the local VZW corp store.

If you change your plan, it does not extend your contract. They used to do that a few years back but rescinded that policy. I'm guessing it was due to a class action suit from all the customers having their contracts extended just for changing their monthly minute allowance.
    11-14-08 04:20 PM
    Thanks for all your answers, guys.

I have one more, however.

What would happen if I purchased a BB and wanted to swap it out for the main line on my FamilyShare plan?
    Would I have to split the plan into a separate BB one and then another one just for the non-BB device?
    11-14-08 09:41 PM
    Thanks for all your answers, guys.

I have one more, however.

What would happen if I purchased a BB and wanted to swap it out for the main line on my FamilyShare plan?
    Would I have to split the plan into a separate BB one and then another one just for the non-BB device?
    If you have less than 5 lines in your familyshare, you would be able to add a line and get a Blackberry Storm at 2 year pricing. And if you wanted to move it to your primary line, you would be able to do that without splitting the familyshare, you would just have to add either the $29.99 unlimited BIS data feature or the $44.99 unlimited BES data feature, to the line that has the Storm.
    11-14-08 10:12 PM
    If you change your plan, it does not extend your contract. They used to do that a few years back but rescinded that policy. I'm guessing it was due to a class action suit from all the customers having their contracts extended just for changing their monthly minute allowance.[/QUOTE]

LOL...not every change that is made is because of a class action lawsuit. That change was made because they said they didn't like when taking opinion surveys. VZW contacts thousands of customers a month to ask what can be done better. That was one of the changes made as a result.
    11-14-08 10:18 PM
    One last question:
    I currently have two lines on the Family Share Plan...adding a BB would make a third line. If I were to cancel the new third line and move the BB to the primary, would I incur the termination fee? And how long after I set up the line would I be able to make the switch?
    11-15-08 12:04 PM
    One last question:
    I currently have two lines on the Family Share Plan...adding a BB would make a third line. If I were to cancel the new third line and move the BB to the primary, would I incur the termination fee? And how long after I set up the line would I be able to make the switch?
    You can switch it over to the primary line, and yes, canceling the new phone number ( new line ), without returning the Blackberry would result in an early termination fee.
    11-15-08 12:24 PM
    Alright, thanks.

Since I have had my contract extended since April, would I be able to pay a $140 ETF instead on any line, or just the first two and not the new one?
    11-15-08 12:31 PM
    Alright, thanks.

Since I have had my contract extended since April, would I be able to pay a $140 ETF instead on any line, or just the first two and not the new one?
    Each phone number has its own contract. So if you add a line to get the Blackberry, then you switch it to another line, the line that you added, since it's still brand new, would have the $175 early termination fee, then it would deduct $5 every month afterwards. Just keep the line, give a cheap phone to a friend or family member, and make them pay you $20 a month, so you can make money off of the line.
    11-15-08 12:36 PM
    Thank you so much for all your help!
    11-15-08 12:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD