03-14-15 11:15 AM
100 1234
tools
    I have a Z30. How do you check how accurate it is?
    It's not so much how accurate it is as how much it just doesn't work. The Z10 compass could point 90degees off or 180. It depends. It's not as if it's only a degree or two.
    04-06-14 10:58 AM
    I have a Z30. How do you check how accurate it is?
    Face north, open compass; if it points the same direction you're facing you're golden.

Posted via CB10
    jelp2 likes this.
    04-06-14 03:24 PM
    It's not so much how accurate it is as how much it just doesn't work. The Z10 compass could point 90degees off or 180. It depends. It's not as if it's only a degree or two.
    Don't forget the slow dialing if you hold still.

Posted via CB10
    04-06-14 03:25 PM
    Don't forget the slow dialing if you hold still.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, that is true!! And the interference tab cycling on and off repeatedly.
    04-11-14 07:26 PM
    Ah, so it's not Just Me. I found this thread when searching to see if anyone had issues with their compass.

Same problems here, Verizon Z10 on 10.2.1.2122 trying to use Star Tracker and What's Up... and it's pretty much impossible because of the compass being so far off.

It sometimes gets close, but that's by far the exception. It's usually way off, 45 degrees or more. And yes, often says "Interference" even though I'm in the open. I do twirl and move it around as instructed, but it doesn't seem to help.
    04-13-14 08:42 PM
    Ah, so it's not Just Me. I found this thread when searching to see if anyone had issues with their compass.

Same problems here, Verizon Z10 on 10.2.1.2122 trying to use Star Tracker and What's Up... and it's pretty much impossible because of the compass being so far off.

It sometimes gets close, but that's by far the exception. It's usually way off, 45 degrees or more. And yes, often says "Interference" even though I'm in the open. I do twirl and move it around as instructed, but it doesn't seem to help.
    Nope, it's not just you. It is just VZ Z10s it seems. I have a ticket open, finally, at BlackBerry, but if you and anyone else with the problem can contact VZW, it will make a stronger case!
    04-13-14 08:56 PM
    Nope, it's not just you. It is just VZ Z10s it seems. I have a ticket open, finally, at BlackBerry, but if you and anyone else with the problem can contact VZW, it will make a stronger case!
    Well, I contacted BlackBerry Help to start. We'll see!

Did your compass ever work properly? I can't remember if mine did. Just wondering if it's a hardware issue that can't be fixed, or if it's maybe related to that "sensor calibration" issue (or whatever it was) many of us experienced months ago when there was some weird problem with corrupt data or something from BlackBerry's servers.
    04-14-14 02:50 PM
    Well, I contacted BlackBerry Help to start. We'll see!

Did your compass ever work properly? I can't remember if mine did. Just wondering if it's a hardware issue that can't be fixed, or if it's maybe related to that "sensor calibration" issue (or whatever it was) many of us experienced months ago when there was some weird problem with corrupt data or something from BlackBerry's servers.
    Yea, it used to work when I first got it. In fact Star Tracker worked fine. I just cant remember exactly which update broke it. It was definitely last year though.
    04-14-14 02:57 PM
    Yea, it used to work when I first got it. In fact Star Tracker worked fine. I just cant remember exactly which update broke it. It was definitely last year though.
    Curiously, I can't seem to get my PlayBook to work with What's Up now either. And I swear I remember it working fine months ago. Same thing, almost always pointing 45+ degrees off.
    04-14-14 03:01 PM
    Curiously, I can't seem to get my PlayBook to work with What's Up now either. And I swear I remember it working fine months ago. Same thing, almost always pointing 45+ degrees off.
    I tried my PB against my Z10 a month or so ago and the PB compass was right on. Haven't tried it lately. But since the PB is WiFi only, it would be a different issue than the Z10.
    04-14-14 03:06 PM
    Does your "Interference" button appear most of the time? If I twirl my device, it'll go away for a few seconds but nearly always returns. I'm not using a case or anything, and I'm away from any metal.

Maybe I'm just magnetic, lol.

I also tried both with and without GPS with the same results.

And I take it back: I just tried my PlayBook again and it's perfectly accurate

Posted via CB10
    04-14-14 07:48 PM
    Does your "Interference" button appear most of the time? If I twirl my device, it'll go away for a few seconds but nearly always returns. I'm not using a case or anything, and I'm away from any metal.

Maybe I'm just magnetic, lol.

I also tried both with and without GPS with the same results.

And I take it back: I just tried my PlayBook again and it's perfectly accurate

Posted via CB10
    I can twirl my Z until my hand falls off and the interference button creeps back on within seconds. Same with gps on or off. I would thing with it on it would work since BBmaps works fine. I could lay it on the table and the interference flashes on and off.
    Glad to hear your PB is all good!!
    04-15-14 08:43 AM
    Do any Z10 users on the latest official Verizon OS have a working compass?
    04-15-14 09:33 AM
    Not me. The compass worked with the original os when I bought my z10 last September, but I can't remember the os version.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 10:53 AM
    Haven't seen any confirmation of a working Z10 compass on VZW (on a recent released OS). Q10 yes, Z10 no.
    04-15-14 05:49 PM
    I don't remember if I mentioned this already, but I did point BlackBerry tech support to this thread. So any Z10 users on VZW, feel free to let us know if your compass works it not.
    04-15-14 05:51 PM
    Mine worked when I first got phone at initial introduction of z10, but compass began not working after maybe the first or second os update. Now on Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2174 and it does not work. Nor does star tracker either

MDZ
    jelp2 likes this.
    04-15-14 07:44 PM
    Has anyone tried a Security Wipe?

Blackberry Help eventually sent me to Verizon Help, who is suggesting a Hard Reset - but their definition of that is actually a Security Wipe.

Naturally, I'm a little reluctant to go through all that unless I have hope it might work.

Posted via CB10
    04-15-14 09:16 PM

Blackberry Help eventually sent me to Verizon Help, who is suggesting a Hard Reset - but their definition of that is actually a Security Wipe.

Naturally, I'm a little reluctant to go through all that unless I have hope it might work.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I've tried a few times. It's protocol for VZW and BlackBerry to want to do a wipe before trying anything else, even when you tell them it's been done already! Don't bother wasting you're time!!
    04-15-14 09:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I do a security wipe every time I load a new OS, hasn't fixed anything for me.
    04-15-14 09:58 PM
    Well, Verizon says it's "not a known issue."

Maybe if some more of you experiencing this problem send a tweet to @vzwsupport describing the problem it will become one

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 and jelp2 like this.
    04-15-14 10:41 PM
    Well, Verizon says it's "not a known issue."

Maybe if some more of you experiencing this problem send a tweet to @vzwsupport describing the problem it will become one

Posted via CB10
    And the only way you can actually talk on the phone with BB tech support is by calling VZW first and then they connect you to BB. This is the number VZ gave me to call BB 877-255-2377. I spoke to them briefly and then they said to call VZ and they will connect me back to BB tech. Otherwise I would have to pay for support, even though I told them I don't need support, it's the device thats not working not me.
    04-16-14 08:44 AM
    This is the number BB gave me to call VZ Tech support directly 866-221-4096. So basically this number that has to be called first and then after explaining the issue and some basic support they will contact BB and patch you through.
    04-16-14 08:50 AM
    I got my phone last week... it auto updated so I don't know if the compass worked prior but I have the same issue.
    katesbb likes this.
    04-16-14 01:08 PM
    Does the faulty compass affect any commonly-used apps aside from StarTracker kinda programs?
    04-16-14 01:44 PM
100 1234