Hey everyone, Im interested in selling/trading my current blackberry. I have never sold a phone before and had a quick question. Do I need to do anything special to clear my ESN or does it do it automatically once I replace my phone in the Verizon system?

Any help is appreciated.
    06-21-09 11:10 AM
    When you activate another phone on your account the ESN will be clear. As long as you have never reported it lost/stolen you will be ok.
    06-21-09 11:15 AM
    To keep your ESN clear you just dont want to report it lost or stolen before you sell it. Also when you take it off your account, ask Verizon to release the pin number from your account!
    06-21-09 11:16 AM
    oh thanks! thats what my real question was - releasing the PIN - i forgot.
    06-21-09 11:22 AM
    I don't really understand why the ESN wouldn't be clear on a lost/stolen phone.

Is that just a Blackberry thing? A smartphone thing?
    I lost my phone in Chicago (left it in a taxi). Back at home in Florida, I filed a claim so I could get a new phone through insurance. 3 weeks later to my utter disbelief, the taxi driver calls me up from a Verizon store because the battery was dead, then mails it to me (he was a super nice Nigerian...guess the scammers are actually IN Nigeria). Anyway, I then had a refurb through insurance activated and when I got my old one in the mail, I lent it to my brother who used it with no problem.

The point to my story is, unless something has changed in cell carrier policy, I don't think reporting a phone lost/stolen means it cant be used, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
    07-06-09 11:24 AM
    If you lose your phone and you report it lost or stolen to VZW, then the esn is put on the negative list which locks the esn/meid so that it can't be activated on another line. The only way to get it removed from the negative list is for the person that reported it lost/stolen to call VZW and tell them you recovered it.

If you lose your phone and don't report it VZW, then it isn't put on the negative list and it doesn't get locked.

I think technically the insurance company is supposed to report lost/stolen phones to VZW, but you know how that goes...
    07-06-09 11:28 AM