04-18-09 02:25 PM
685 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    also I should add that blocked GPS doesnt just affect buying 3rd party nav apps, it also prevents us verizon users from using location based apps. U have no idea how sucky it is to open crackberry, see a review of this cool new app "WHERE" and know that out of all the carriers out there, my carrier VERIZON doesn't support it! Same for loopt and a few other fun location based apps out there that have nothing to do with navigation!

When my cntract is up, I'm going to seriously consider switching because this is pissing me off as well! I already pay higher than the rest of the competition! Then on top of that we have to deal with this crap??? I think I'm going to shred my VIP card come Jan 2010 unless something seriously changes from now till then!
    I can't beleive you will hold out till 2010! you have a lot more tolerance for bs than I do. If you did decide to switch carriers Verizon will pro-rate the ETF and you can have your final bill broken down into payments if you don't want to shell out the lump sum all at once. And you are right about all the other gps location based apps like loopt... that $hit just $ucks because Verizon are greedy ba$****$ and would rather squeeze every dime possible out of all their customers. I'm lovin' this completely unlocked gps with all my cool gps apps like loopt, slingo, blip, etc. pin point accuracy too... LOL!
    12-07-08 02:30 AM
    It would be nice to be able to use 411 with the location on and known

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-07-08 09:34 AM
    And when I was on on sprint I never had service at my house, my bill was more than it was with Verizon and I was on 2 dumb phones, my bill was never correct and they would never fix things - ie charged me for things we didn't have, dropped calls all the time even when I just happened to have full signal. I could go on but won't.

Verizon called us after 2 months with our phones. They suggested we drop the text packages because we didn't use them enough to justify paying for them. Doesn't sound like nickel and diming to me.

12-07-08 10:08 AM
    Man, you're so hood.

Then stop typing it and leave the conversation.

Then cancel, "soldier" you way over to Sprint where they block the MMS, like sending pics with VZW?
    I'm not trying to be hood you f*cking ******. What is with people like you who jump in the middle and purposely misinterpret what others have to say just to reply with a smart *** remark? Trying to get your post count up? Read what I was ranting about and come up with something better than me being "hood", because obviously you don't know wtf that is. I don't know if you were trying to be funny or what, but you fail miserably. Just stop.
    Last edited by lpstreetsoldierm; 12-07-08 at 01:47 PM.
    12-07-08 01:34 PM
    you strike me as a person who wants everything for free. Probably got your ATT service dropped for nonpayment...
    Did you read anything I was saying? Obviously not. You strike me as a person who completely misses the point and wants to feel important.
    Do you feel better now that your two cents are in?
    Last edited by lpstreetsoldierm; 12-07-08 at 01:45 PM.
    12-07-08 01:36 PM
    relax everyone! We can have an honest debate here without ppl lashing out at each other? Its not black or white! There is a legitamate concern that #1, verizon is expensive and #2 that GPS should not be locked down. I have verizon while just about everyone I know uses another carrier. As for me, I'm blessed to be able to afford it. But the #1 reason ppl tell me they won't pick verizon is because its too expensive. And in my job, this is coming from ppl who make money! Now, ppl didn't just get this idea out of thin air! Its a stigma and a known fact that verizon is the most expensve overall! GPS fees are just another tactic they use to raise monthly bills on ppl. In my book, ppl have the right to voice their displeasure without being lashed out at or being accused of being cheap. And unless you work for verizon or have some sort of vested interest in the company, you should not be arguing against this as it only serves to work against your own interest, helping YOU the customer pay a more fair and manageable bill. When it comes to dollars, we all win when we argue the GPS issue!
    It seems like some people can't comprehend this and want to talk sh!t for whatever reason. My main rant was about how Verizon blocks other GPS and forces you to pay for their own. BB Maps doesn't count. Somehow people are so ignorant that they twist it around and turn it into something else.
    12-07-08 01:38 PM
    Dang the hostility!! I've not seen this much arguing between left wing and right wing fanatics! Point is if you like what you have with Verizon, stay with it. If not, find a different carrier.

12-07-08 02:01 PM
    You want free? then get a bunch of cans and some string and supply them to your friends. Ditto on the laughter Dang when I bought car they never said I had to add gas or oil. They also told me about cruise control, never said I had to steer, dang freeway over pass pillars are hard. Then they wanted to charge extra for the new dents. whats this world coming to?

HaHa you know what is funny about what you said? I was reading a list of ridiculous court case victories, and there was a woman who purchased a motor home and took it on a cross country trip. She placed the motor home on cruise control and left the drivers seat to go make a sandwich in the back. Needless to say, she crashed and totaled her motor home and then sued Winnebago because the manual didn't say cruise control had to be monitored and she won. Winnebago has since updated all their manuals accordingly.
    12-07-08 02:10 PM
    HaHa you know what is funny about what you said? I was reading a list of ridiculous court case victories, and there was a woman who purchased a motor home and took it on a cross country trip. She placed the motor home on cruise control and left the drivers seat to go make a sandwich in the back. Needless to say, she crashed and totaled her motor home and then sued Winnebago because the manual didn't say cruise control had to be monitored and she won. Winnebago has since updated all their manuals accordingly.
    you just made a case as to the fact that there are rediculous lawsuits brought to the court. Just because some cases have no merit doesn't mean that there aren't any legitamate ones that do... This being one of them
    12-07-08 03:27 PM
    And when I was on on sprint I never had service at my house, my bill was more than it was with Verizon and I was on 2 dumb phones, my bill was never correct and they would never fix things - ie charged me for things we didn't have, dropped calls all the time even when I just happened to have full signal. I could go on but won't.

Verizon called us after 2 months with our phones. They suggested we drop the text packages because we didn't use them enough to justify paying for them. Doesn't sound like nickel and diming to me.

your right, that doesn't...

other things however do....
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-07-08 at 08:02 PM.
    12-07-08 03:33 PM
    Help me out here. I've been with verizon for a few yrs now and have used Treo's and a Curve ( just got Storm). I have used Google maps and Livesearch on all past phones using a Blue tooth GPS receiver and the live search worked great no issues. google maps did not track very well and frooze. Last night i down loaded Live search to my Storm and it will not open. It downloaded successfully and shows in program files, but it will not open. I did find however (after being told by Verizon support it wouldn't work) that the internal GPS can be used with BB maps, this is a 1st!!! Are they now block 3rd party mapping programs?
    12-16-08 04:15 AM
    Blocking GPS has always been with VZW. If the software is not opening, you may want to check the permissions.
    12-16-08 06:31 AM
    VZW has activated GPS on their smartphones & it works well for BB Maps, Google Maps, etc. You do need to turn it on & allow permissions. I've not yet changed settings to try my Garmin software with it as my puck works too well.

12-16-08 10:58 AM
    It only works with BB maps. Google is still locked.

12-16-08 11:02 AM
    Google Maps finds my location just fine. Try loading the latest version.

12-16-08 11:07 AM

I'm fairly certian that only BBmaps will work with the built in GPS. You can buy a GPS puck and use it with google maps. Google maps will find your location with tower triangulation, which may or not be effective. For me personally, Google maps can "pinpoint" my location within about 5 miles this way. IDK why Verizon would only allow GPS on BB maps and not all applications. I'm sure there is a reason, i just don't know it.
    12-16-08 11:27 AM
    Kris is correct about google using cell tower triangulation.

12-16-08 11:32 AM

Just tried GM with my 8130, GPS is "temporarily unavailable", so its still using cell tower locating.
    12-16-08 11:34 AM
    Ok so I understand what "soldier" is saying. Its basically a monopolization of the GPS by Verizon. It sucks and it is sad that 'soldier' didn't know about what is going on there, but you can always tell Verizon that you want to cancel, unlock your phone with the handy dandy instructions on the forums and tel VZ that they will get their money when they get their money. Is it a hassle for you? **** yes. but you need to decide for yourself whether its worth it or not. For me I always had issues with sprint. I gave up on them and came back to VZ. I wouldn't mind going to ATT but if I did that I would want the iPhone anyway. Im happy for now despite the little maunfacturing flaws and laggy OS. The OS will get its upgrades and will grow. The hardware not so much and I am willing to bet there will be a storm v2 or whatever you want to call it by next xmas anyway if not sooner. You have to make a choice that no one on here can make for you. Take what they say with a grain of salt. But yes i do know what you are saying and I am scratching my head in wonder at the BBmaps poster was trying to say. I was under the understanding that the lockdown of all GPS programs was an issue. Just because they unlocked bbmaps, shouldnt appease everyone. Im fine with bbmaps, canceled my VZNav. I would like to be able to use all the other gps programs out there but oh well. Every company has a monopoly with something on their phones to some extent or some kind of service charge. Just be glad you can replace other progs such as the browser on the storm.

PS sorry about the poor grammar and the horrific spelling flaws i am sure you will find. oops my bad!
    12-16-08 12:20 PM
    One of my colleagues tried with her Pearl without success. I took it, turned on the GPS, then did the OTA programming (*228 OPT 1) and all works now.

It is always a good idea to use option one as well as option two (update roaming) as option one gives you recent software updates.

12-16-08 12:27 PM
    Just in case i do want to mention that gps should be accurate to 3m or something like that...
    12-16-08 12:49 PM
    And it is although for liability reasons (blank_blank lawyers), mine always quotes outrageous distances.

12-16-08 02:25 PM
    Every carrier has pro's and con's....Verizon is a little more expensive but they have by far the best service. Att has free wifi...tmobile is cheap etc....etc....etc.
    This is a survey in the new consumer reports magazine of cell phone company's with customer service and coverage being graded in 23 of the biggest phone markets...Verizon is first in 20, Alltel is first in the other 3..Sprint is usually last and ATT and Tmobile go back and forth between 2nd and 3rd. Again its coverage and customer service as of Jan 09. The list is complete..certain carriers are removed from certain cities for reasons unknown to me...especially alltel, they are only listed in 6 or 7 cities. The list speaks for itself...if price is most important to you...go tmo...if coverage is..go with verizon..I personally have tmo and will be switching to verizon cause im sick of having little to no bars in buildings when people i know with verizon never have a prob...verizon being first in 20 out of the 23 cities is no accident or fluke.

Atlanta- verizon, tmo, att, sprint -- -- Pheonix -Verizon, alltel, tmo, att, spr
    Boston -verizon, tmo, att, sprint -- -- San Antonio- Verizon, att, tmo, spr
    Charlotte- alltel, verizon, att, sprint -- -- San Diego- Verizon, tmo, att, spr
    Chicago- verizon, att, tmo, sprint -- -- San Fran- Verizon, tmo, spr, att
    Cleveland -alltel, verizon, att, sprint -- -- Seattle- verizon, tmo, att, sprint
    Dallas- verizon, att, tmo, sprint -- -- St Louis- verizon, tmo, att, sprint
    Detroit -verizon, tmo, att, sprint. -- -- Tampa - Alltel, Verizon, Tm, att, spr
    Jacksonville- Verizon, tmo, att sprint -- -- Wash DC- verizon, att, tmo, sprint
    Las Vegas- verizon, tmo, att, sprint
    L.A.-verizon, tmo, att, sprint
    Miami- Verizon, tmo, Sprint, att
    Minneapolis- Verizon, tmo, att, sprint
    New york- verizon, tmo, att
    Philly- Verizon, att, tmo, sprint
    Last edited by seanp666; 12-16-08 at 03:41 PM.
    12-16-08 03:37 PM
    And it is although for liability reasons (blank_blank lawyers), mine always quotes outrageous distances.

No, it's because "outrageous distances" is the level of accuracy that cell tower triangulation provides. Your Blackberry's internal GPS is NOT, repeat NOT being accessed by Google Maps. Only BBMaps (and Verizon's VZ Navigator) supports the internal GPS. This is true with even the latest version of Google Maps, 2.3.2.
    12-16-08 04:37 PM
    No, it's because "outrageous distances" is the level of accuracy that cell tower triangulation provides. Your Blackberry's internal GPS is NOT, repeat NOT being accessed by Google Maps. Only BBMaps (and Verizon's VZ Navigator) supports the internal GPS. This is true with even the latest version of Google Maps, 2.3.2.
    Explain this then- I change these BBs back to "911 Only" & all the mapping location features stop.

VZNav uses a combo of GPS & triangulation. The Google Maps app did not work for me before about 8 wks ago without my puck.. On a recent trip to the Grand Canyon - no cell coverage at all there - when I forgot to charge my puck, Google Maps worked well.

So if it is tower triangulation, VZW miraculously threw in towers that didn't carry phone traffic.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 12-16-08 at 05:01 PM.
    12-16-08 04:57 PM
685 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD