04-18-09 02:25 PM
685 ... 678910 ...
tools
    O Rly?

So,you join Verizon to have teh Stormz!....KNOWING they have crippled GPS in earlier BB's

Then you decide to complain to us that since you can't use your elite program,we're supposed to comfort you and hold your hand?

I might be too harsh on you right now,So I'll go ahead and say sorry,but...Maybe you could have thought this thru better?

My other service was cut off so I had no choice but to find someone else. I was planning on getting the Storm and unlocking it, but that wasn't gonna happen now. And I DIDN'T know they blocked GPS until recently. I clearly said that in my post.
    12-06-08 10:09 AM
    You don't have to pay.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So let me clear this up. I can go ahead and download AmazeGPS now and it will pick up signal WITHOUT purchasing the VZNav first?
    I swear you better not bring up BB Maps cuz it seems like you have a problem reading and understanding, yet you claim that people on here don't fully read the posts. I do NOT want BB MAPS. DON'T want it. AmazeGPS is much better in so many ways.
    I DON'T want to have to purchase a subscription to use something that is initially free.
    Just like another poster said, once you buy a GPS from a store, you don't have to pay a damn fee each month just to use it. You initially buy it or have it handed to you from someone and that's it. NO FEES otherwise.
    Verizon is rediculous.
    12-06-08 10:15 AM
    So let me clear this up. I can go ahead and download AmazeGPS now and it will pick up signal WITHOUT purchasing the VZNav first?
    I swear you better not bring up BB Maps cuz it seems like you have a problem reading and understanding, yet you claim that people on here don't fully read the posts. I do NOT want BB MAPS. DON'T want it. AmazeGPS is much better in so many ways.
    I DON'T want to have to purchase a subscription to use something that is initially free.
    Just like another poster said, once you buy a GPS from a store, you don't have to pay a damn fee each month just to use it. You initially buy it or have it handed to you from someone and that's it. NO FEES otherwise.
    Verizon is rediculous.
    You do understand that even if you pay for VZnav the program AmazeGPS will still not work right? What happened that your other phone was cut off? I mean if your not going to pay for your phone service to start, why are you even worried about the GPS?

12-06-08 10:45 AM
    GMaps found my location (within 5900m) with GPS switched on. I'm on VZW with an 8330
    12-06-08 11:13 AM
    GMaps found my location (within 5900m) with GPS switched on. I'm on VZW with an 8330
    this is what BB Maps will look like using GPS. notice the 7 satellites on the bottom. this number will vary but your location will be pinpointed. you have to be in view of the sky for it to work, and have your location ON.

Google Maps is not using GPS, but cell tower triangulation.

Last edited by chrisy520; 12-06-08 at 12:32 PM.
    12-06-08 12:14 PM
    I swear you better not bring up BB Maps cuz it seems like you have a problem reading and understanding
    I have no problem reading and understanding. YOU seem to have the problem. You have 3 choices:
    1) purchase vznav
    2) use BB maps for free
    3) don't use anything at all

You are the one going off about being forced to pay for something you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR.

12-06-08 12:26 PM
    You do understand that even if you pay for VZnav the program AmazeGPS will still not work right? What happened that your other phone was cut off? I mean if your not going to pay for your phone service to start, why are you even worried about the GPS?

Great...
    There was a big mess with ATT and I told them to just cut off my service in the end. Don't really want to get into it.
    12-06-08 01:17 PM
    I have no problem reading and understanding. YOU seem to have the problem. You have 3 choices:
    1) purchase vznav
    2) use BB maps for free
    3) don't use anything at all

You are the one going off about being forced to pay for something you DO NOT HAVE TO PAY FOR.

No YOU seem to have the goddamn problem understanding and I'm getting tired of retyping it over and over. I'm talking about how I have a problem with having to pay for VZ GPS before I can use any other, opposed to just using it for free with another carrier. VZ blocks me from doing this, other carriers DON'T.

With ATT, all I did was install my preferred GPS and it worked. Simple as that. I was not forced to pay anything.
    With Verizon, I was told I have to purchase their GPS to get ANY to work at all. (from VZ rep) And now another user here just mentioned that my preferred still wont work even if I payed.

Are you following or are you gonna bring up BB Maps again?
    And you're right. I do have those 3 choices and only those 3, because Verizon is a piece of **** company that will charge or limit customers to services that is otherwise free to other carriers.
    12-06-08 01:25 PM
    No YOU seem to have the goddamn problem understanding and I'm getting tired of retyping it over and over. I'm talking about how I have a problem with having to pay for VZ GPS before I can use any other, opposed to just using it for free with another carrier. VZ blocks me from doing this, other carriers DON'T.

With ATT, all I did was install my preferred GPS and it worked. Simple as that. I was not forced to pay anything.
    With Verizon, I was told I have to purchase their GPS to get ANY to work at all. (from VZ rep) And now another user here just mentioned that my preferred still wont work even if I payed.

And you're right. I do have those 3 choices and only those 3, because Verizon is a piece of **** company that will charge or limit customers to services that is otherwise free to other carriers.

i haven't really been following this discussion but you do have the 30 days to return the phone and cancel if you're not satisfied with the VZW service. that's the best way to protest, let the money talk.
    12-06-08 01:38 PM
    On another note...BB Maps has been searching for satellites for a while now....
    12-06-08 01:42 PM

So. . .as stated before by other intelligent posters. . .if you hate Verizon so much, then switch carriers. Complaining about it online isn't going to fix your problem and obviously you are wasting everyone's time. You obviously don't want help and are more willing to gloat about it than fixing the problem. The only common denominator in the situations that you've mentioned is YOU. You are acting like you're being screwed out of something. Gmaps doesn't work with sattelite GPS. . .not Verizon's problem. Everything else of superiour quality, you have to pay for. . .again you need to pay for a service. . .SUPRISE! Nobody else is complaining about it. You get what you pay for. If I needed turn by turn GPS directions, I'd be happy to pay. As far as the GPS now being unlocked, I'm happy for, but nobody is getting anything for free that you aren't. Quit making yourself a victim.
    12-06-08 01:49 PM
    No one put a gun to your head and made you leave AT&T or go to Verizon.

On another note you might want to go to options > advanced options > GPS and make sure GPS is not on 911 only.

12-06-08 01:54 PM
    So. . .as stated before by other intelligent posters. . .if you hate Verizon so much, then switch carriers. Complaining about it online isn't going to fix your problem and obviously you are wasting everyone's time. You obviously don't want help and are more willing to gloat about it than fixing the problem. The only common denominator in the situations that you've mentioned is YOU. You are acting like you're being screwed out of something. Gmaps doesn't work with sattelite GPS. . .not Verizon's problem. Everything else of superiour quality, you have to pay for. . .again you need to pay for a service. . .SUPRISE! Nobody else is complaining about it. You get what you pay for. If I needed turn by turn GPS directions, I'd be happy to pay. As far as the GPS now being unlocked, I'm happy for, but nobody is getting anything for free that you aren't. Quit making yourself a victim.
    Nobody else is complaining? I remember seeing that this whole thread was started because of Verizon blocking GPS signals on their phones. And technically I am being screwed out of something if I have to pay for voice prompting GPS that was otherwise free before.
    12-06-08 02:01 PM
    Btw, I'm a 3rd year law student and a vzw employee. if someone told you your curve would have GPS by all means you may have a recourse. No one told you that though. You purchased something without proper research and just assumed and you know what they say...
    3rd year Law Student? I know many "students" that never passed the bar.....
    Is it a fact that this person was never told that his phone would "have" GPS? What does "have" mean? I don't think you have enough info to inform this person. Do you? Seems the CA case is moving along..
    12-06-08 02:02 PM
    No one put a gun to your head and made you leave AT&T or go to Verizon.

On another note you might want to go to options > advanced options > GPS and make sure GPS is not on 911 only.

I had no choice but to leave ATT. If I didn't I would have unlocked the Storm and stayed with them. Since that wasn't gonna happen, I just jumped to Verizon and got the Storm at a discount. Found out after it wasn't such a good idea. (Not just cuz of gps)
    And thanx, GPS is enabled and giving this BB Maps a third try.
    12-06-08 02:05 PM
    As a side note I would like to point out that google maps does not use triangulation in any way shape or form. All it does is know what cell tower you are connected to as well as the approx range of that cell tower (the dot is roughly where the tower is located).

That is all.
    12-06-08 03:20 PM
    I had no choice but to leave ATT. If I didn't I would have unlocked the Storm and stayed with them. Since that wasn't gonna happen, I just jumped to Verizon and got the Storm at a discount. Found out after it wasn't such a good idea. (Not just cuz of gps)
    And thanx, GPS is enabled and giving this BB Maps a third try.
    Make sure you have clear shot of the sky, and stand outside for a few minutes. It may not be getting aGPS, and it can take a few minutes to figure out where the satellites are in the sky.
    12-06-08 04:44 PM
    Make sure you have clear shot of the sky, and stand outside for a few minutes. It may not be getting aGPS, and it can take a few minutes to figure out where the satellites are in the sky.
    Thanx. I got it to work.
    12-06-08 05:22 PM
    I shouldn't have to deal with ****. Verizon is the only company I know that will cripple phones and charge people for extra stuff that is otherwise free on other carriers. I'm not a tool like some people and sure as **** wont pay for their GPS. I tried it on another phone and its crap.
    Man, you're so hood.

No YOU seem to have the goddamn problem understanding and I'm getting tired of retyping it over and over.
    Then stop typing it and leave the conversation.

Are you following or are you gonna bring up BB Maps again? And you're right. I do have those 3 choices and only those 3, because Verizon is a piece of **** company that will charge or limit customers to services that is otherwise free to other carriers.
    Then cancel, "soldier" you way over to Sprint where they block the MMS, like sending pics with VZW?
    12-06-08 07:01 PM
    you strike me as a person who wants everything for free. Probably got your ATT service dropped for nonpayment...
    12-06-08 07:05 PM
    relax everyone! We can have an honest debate here without ppl lashing out at each other? Its not black or white! There is a legitamate concern that #1, verizon is expensive and #2 that GPS should not be locked down. I have verizon while just about everyone I know uses another carrier. As for me, I'm blessed to be able to afford it. But the #1 reason ppl tell me they won't pick verizon is because its too expensive. And in my job, this is coming from ppl who make money! Now, ppl didn't just get this idea out of thin air! Its a stigma and a known fact that verizon is the most expensve overall! GPS fees are just another tactic they use to raise monthly bills on ppl. In my book, ppl have the right to voice their displeasure without being lashed out at or being accused of being cheap. And unless you work for verizon or have some sort of vested interest in the company, you should not be arguing against this as it only serves to work against your own interest, helping YOU the customer pay a more fair and manageable bill. When it comes to dollars, we all win when we argue the GPS issue!
    12-06-08 11:33 PM
    And now that the BB maps is unlocked and free that clears it up.. the whole debate about the GPS having to pay to utilize doesn't seem to stand up any longer due to the BB maps GPS program unlocking haha.
    12-07-08 12:07 AM
    its still locked to 3rd prty apps and that to me is a big problem.

U can also add, why does BB maps get the privilage of being unlocked??? Why the descrimination? I know why but u get the idea of where the answer to that question leads to....
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-07-08 at 01:33 AM.
    12-07-08 12:16 AM
    I left Verizon after being with them for several years. The 2 reasons I left and went to Sprint are... 1. Damn GPS is locked down like Fort Knox!!! 2. Their too damn expensive! My bill was between 320.00 and 350.00 every month for 3 lines with 2 Blackberries w data plans and 3000 mins. I went to Sprint because I now have unlimited everything and pay half of what I used to pay and get the full use of my gps to use with ANY third party app I choose!!! Verizon finally pissed me off with that BS. The Blackberries are built with fully functioning gps and Verizon is responsible for deactivating it to only work if you pay extra and even then they only let you use their VZ Navigator. They can stick their gps up their @$$es I'm done bending over for Verizon. Any of you who are tired of that BS too can jump ship and come on over to Sprint and get unlimited EVERYTING for a LOT cheaper!!! If not keep bending over for Verizon and hopefully they will mail you guys some KY to ease the pain you are all feeling. And by the way, Sprint's Navigation is a WHOLE lot better than Verizon's VZ Navigator. Trust me, it has more user configurable options and it rocks!!! VZ Navigator is Blaaaa.
    12-07-08 01:27 AM
    also I should add that blocked GPS doesnt just affect buying 3rd party nav apps, it also prevents us verizon users from using location based apps. U have no idea how sucky it is to open crackberry, see a review of this cool new app "WHERE" and know that out of all the carriers out there, my carrier VERIZON doesn't support it! Same for loopt and a few other fun location based apps out there that have nothing to do with navigation!

When my cntract is up, I'm going to seriously consider switching because this is pissing me off as well! I already pay higher than the rest of the competition! Then on top of that we have to deal with this crap??? I think I'm going to shred my VIP card come Jan 2010 unless something seriously changes from now till then!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 12-07-08 at 02:04 AM.
    12-07-08 02:02 AM
685 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD