04-18-09 02:25 PM
685 ... 56789 ...
tools
    GPS is a free service provided by our goverment aka military. However you do not pay a monthly service by using TOM TOM or other GPS programs out there. even on my gps for work, its just a GPS usb mouse that plugs into my laptop. we use our own maping service.

My phones had been advertised with GPS and no one said anything about you have to pay a monthly charge to have access to it. I can understand if you want to use the the VZW NAV. then they can and do have the right to charge a monthly fee. its there program. With that said I dont see how they could lock it to keep other programs from using it. Its not theyre GPS device, its mine and ours. I have paid for the device, then i should be able to use it the way i want. lets say if i didnt like verizons program and wanted to use another. Then i still have to pay a fee to use HARDWARE that is on MY PHONE? Thats not right to anyone.
    12-05-08 11:08 AM
    But if you don't like tom toms software you have to purchase a new device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-05-08 11:12 AM
    yes and thats on you. however the monthly fee is not there. you pay for the device and thats it. well, i have paid for my device and now they want to charge a monthly fee or it stays locked.
    12-05-08 11:17 AM
    It is not locked for BB maps.

Last edited by vndlewis; 12-05-08 at 01:22 PM.
    12-05-08 11:24 AM
    yes and thats on you. however the monthly fee is not there. you pay for the device and thats it. well, i have paid for my device and now they want to charge a monthly fee or it stays locked.
    Yes, Verizon's decision is just dumb. Even with this little bone of, just this week, allowing access to BBMaps but apparently nothing else, is just so selfish on their part.

if I wasn't tied to Verizon and could pick any carrier, I'd leave in a heartbeat.
    12-05-08 11:43 AM
    So is anyone going to try to start the lawsuit? How about starting a petition first and see if they respond to that.

oh, I guess we don't need to do anything. it looks like they unlocked it now.
    Last edited by juan1158; 12-05-08 at 12:11 PM.
    12-05-08 12:06 PM
    Verizon is unbelievable. My Curve with ATT was able to use AmazeGPS for free, even if I didn't subscribe to ATT's GPS service. I went to Verizon and suddenly it wont even pick up a GPS signal. Now I'm reading that they blocked it until you subscribe to them?? WTF. I swore to myself before that I would never come to this awful company because of them "crippling" phones. I guess I deserved this now for switching just to get the Storm.
    12-05-08 01:23 PM
    YOU CAN USE THE GPS WITH BB MAPS!!!!!!!!

Do people not read?

12-05-08 01:25 PM

Do people not read?

I think the poster was refering to a specific program, "AmazeGPS", which may not work on Verizon.
    12-05-08 01:31 PM

Do people not read?

Do YOU not read? From my experience NO GPS I installed will work on a Verizon phone.
    12-05-08 02:05 PM
    Verizon HAS unlocked GPS for BB maps as of yesterday.

12-05-08 02:07 PM
    Verizon HAS unlocked GPS for BB maps as of yesterday.

I am not referring to BB Maps. I want to use AmazeGPS and it wont work. It wont find any GPS signal.
    I'm gonna check to see if Amaze will work again and see.
    12-05-08 02:10 PM
    It is only unlocked for BB maps.

12-05-08 02:11 PM
    It is only unlocked for BB maps.

Ok well as I said:
    I want AMAZEGPS. I do NOT care for BB Maps. It is f*cking rediculous that I have to pay Verizon just to use a GPS when I could get it for free with others.
    12-05-08 02:27 PM
    Ok well as I said:
    I want AMAZEGPS. I do NOT care for BB Maps. It is f*cking rediculous that I have to pay Verizon just to use a GPS when I could get it for free with others.

Send us Feedback

Why you telling us, tell them.........
    12-05-08 02:30 PM
    Ok well as I said:
    cry me a river..this topic has been beat to death.Either deal with it,or pony up.

(would AmazeGPS even work if you paid the monthly fee?)
    12-05-08 02:32 PM
    Ok well as I said:
    Well as I said you don't have to pay to use GPS now. BB maps is not vznav and is FREE.

12-05-08 02:51 PM
    Just because I bought a tom tom doesn't mean I get to use garmin maps. People have bit*hed about GPS being locked and only being able to use vznav. Now GPS is unlocked and you can use BB maps and you still bit*h.

12-05-08 02:55 PM
    So is anyone going to try to start the lawsuit? How about starting a petition first and see if they respond to that.

oh, I guess we don't need to do anything. it looks like they unlocked it now.
    I brough in my contract, phone receipt as well as the court papers filed in California against Verizon on this issue to a corporate law firm in RI in an attemp to begin a class Action Lawsuit.

I was told that the best way to initiate a class Action Lawsuit was through filing complaint in an individual state's court, as they are dealt with quicker than federal proceedings.

Some State's, such as R.I., have laws designed to protect a citizens right to file a suit regarding this issue. Other state's do not have laws that are beneficial (Virginia) to citizen's in this particular GPS complaint against Verizon.

I ask that you contact a corporate attorney in your state, they are VERY eager to discuss this as it will lead to money in damages! It will cost you nothing. Good Luck!
    12-05-08 04:04 PM
    you can use bb maps on ur phone now, you have a choice, you loose because you do not have to pay
    12-05-08 04:23 PM
    Just because I bought a tom tom doesn't mean I get to use garmin maps. People have bit*hed about GPS being locked and only being able to use vznav. Now GPS is unlocked and you can use BB maps and you still bit*h.

Dammit what are you not understanding? Seriously. Some people don't want to use that crappy app. There are much better free ones around but can't be used because a certain ****ty company locked their phone. Its not that hard to understand what people are trying to say.
    Last edited by lpstreetsoldierm; 12-06-08 at 01:45 AM.
    12-06-08 01:30 AM
    Send us Feedback

Why you telling us, tell them.........
    I wasn't telling "you guys". I was telling it to the one user who kept bringing up the damn BB Maps. Are you even reading the posts or what?
    12-06-08 01:31 AM
    cry me a river..this topic has been beat to death.Either deal with it,or pony up.

(would AmazeGPS even work if you paid the monthly fee?)
    I shouldn't have to deal with ****. Verizon is the only company I know that will cripple phones and charge people for extra stuff that is otherwise free on other carriers. I'm not a tool like some people and sure as **** wont pay for their GPS. I tried it on another phone and its crap.
    12-06-08 01:33 AM
    I shouldn't have to deal with ****. Verizon is the only company I know that will cripple phones and charge people for extra stuff that is otherwise free on other carriers. I'm not a tool like some people and sure as **** wont pay for their GPS. I tried it on another phone and its crap.
    O Rly?

So,you join Verizon to have teh Stormz!....KNOWING they have crippled GPS in earlier BB's

Then you decide to complain to us that since you can't use your elite program,we're supposed to comfort you and hold your hand?

I might be too harsh on you right now,So I'll go ahead and say sorry,but...Maybe you could have thought this thru better?
    12-06-08 05:08 AM
    I shouldn't have to deal with ****. Verizon is the only company I know that will cripple phones and charge people for extra stuff that is otherwise free on other carriers.I'm not a tool like some people and sure as **** wont pay for their GPS. I tried it on another phone and its crap.
    You don't have to pay.

12-06-08 09:21 AM
685 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD