04-18-09 03:25 PM
685 ... 45678 ...
tools
    They seem to have unlocked the GPS for BB maps and it is still not good enough for you?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 04:23 PM
    They seem to have unlocked the GPS for BB maps and it is still not good enough for you?
    You've really got to be kidding.

1) It's only if I spend more money with verizon to buy a new phone and extend my contract. I already have a phone with these capabilities - enable it for me now.

2) Why should Verizon dictate what applications I can run on my phone using the hardware I paid for and the data service I pay for? Do they control the messages I can send, the picture I can take, the 3rd party games I can load, etc? Why are you ok with them controlling the applications I can use with the GPS?
    Last edited by GeekNJ; 12-04-08 at 04:48 PM.
    12-04-08 04:30 PM
    I work for Verizon and I am happy that I don't have to pay for VZ NAV now. I got google maps sunday night and it is the best thing, I am not a huge bbmaps fan, but I am glad I have choices now. O and yes you can get google maps, download the new version it works, maybe now we can get trapster!! SO see not all VZW employees are brainwashed dicks.
    12-04-08 04:54 PM
    Yeah, you guys can shut down this thread. This is to confirm that GPS works on 8830 with OS4.5.
    12-04-08 06:04 PM
    JR I knew you would be the first to update this thread
    12-04-08 06:34 PM
    LOL. i came here looking for JR too

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 06:36 PM
    lol, yeah.

Google Maps still doesn't work and neither does MSLive. Since GPS on the CDMA Blackberries depend upon a PDE server, those programs don't properly set the PDE info. Oh well, BBMaps is better then nothing.
    12-04-08 06:53 PM
    lol, yeah.

Google Maps still doesn't work and neither does MSLive. Since GPS on the CDMA Blackberries depend upon a PDE server, those programs don't properly set the PDE info. Oh well, BBMaps is better then nothing.

Ya true that.... maybe soon
    12-04-08 06:57 PM
    Using google maps currently so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    12-04-08 07:04 PM
    Using google maps currently so I have no idea what you are talking about.
    You're using cell tower triangulation, not GPS.
    12-04-08 07:06 PM
    try again, google maps version 2.3.2, gives me directions from work to home and it tells me where I am, it dosen't triangulate my position.
    12-04-08 07:08 PM
    Yep it does........
    12-04-08 07:11 PM
    yeah ok, i am not a tech here at verizon or anything but yeah ur right
    12-04-08 07:16 PM
    Put down the crack pipe and step away from the keyboard.

No one other then a storm or using an external GPS is "working".
    12-04-08 07:19 PM
    I am requesting screen shot, or BS. I have tested it on three devices and no good, only BB maps..... Google maps is 1100 FT, duh triangulation.........
    12-04-08 07:20 PM
    Fine i will get a screen shot once I finish here at work and post it. Put down the crack pipe!!! wow ur hilarious that was so original I love it!!
    12-04-08 07:24 PM
    Thx for the reply, I look forward seeing your reply later on...
    12-04-08 07:27 PM
    ok yester18 since you are the only reasonable 1 and if any1 is going to correct me I would like it to be you, i am staring at google maps now and it shows a blue blinking dot over where I am right now, but there is a circle a little bit otuside of it, not that far and light, I didn;t notice it before, is that triangulation and i will stfu if you are right, and how the **** do I get bb maps back if this **** is triangulating me?
    12-04-08 07:31 PM
    lol this is funny.

Okay 1. does it give you a measurement at all?

1. Whenever you use you GPS with google maps, you are unknowingly uploading the cell tower information along with your current GPS position back to google.
    2. Google uses certain algorithms to find out the best position for a particular cell tower from all the inputs that it gets.
    3. When people who do not have GPS use google maps, the google maps queries to the google database with its cell tower number, and gets the approximate location
    4. This location is shown on the map.

2. You said you were a tech, you can install BB maps using DM and this BlackBerry - PDA GPS - BlackBerry Maps at BlackBerry.com

But you know all this right..... Tech
    12-04-08 07:42 PM
    ok yester18 since you are the only reasonable 1 and if any1 is going to correct me I would like it to be you, i am staring at google maps now and it shows a blue blinking dot over where I am right now, but there is a circle a little bit otuside of it, not that far and light, I didn;t notice it before, is that triangulation and i will stfu if you are right, and how the **** do I get bb maps back if this **** is triangulating me?
    POWNED!

Next time, listen to those of us that know WTF we're talking about. You'd think when Google Maps told you "Position within 1700-5000 meters" you would have known it's not GPS. Even at best you're still out 250 meters with Google Maps. GPS is no more then 3-4 meters with less then 5 SATs and within a meter with more then 10 SATs locked.

Better luck next time.

BTW, I posted in another thread. Google Maps cannot set the correct PDE info for the Location API. With OS4.5, the Location API was rewritten so that GPS requests need to come from a signed app and the app must issue PDE IP and Port itself (this part was there even back in the 4.2 days). If you don't believe me, start Google Maps and then go to the Home Screen on the BB. Do an ALT+LGLG and look for the PDE errors on the Location API when Google Maps launches.
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 12-04-08 at 07:47 PM.
    12-04-08 07:43 PM
    Ok, I take back the crack comment. Seems to work (BB Maps and internal GPS) on my 8130 (Pearl) updated with Verizon's latest OS.
    12-04-08 08:59 PM
    try again, google maps version 2.3.2, gives me directions from work to home and it tells me where I am, it dosen't triangulate my position.
    I was going to respond, but it looks like John and JR handled it for me. Thanks for playing, we'll see you around
    12-04-08 09:25 PM
    Yeah haven't been a tech for to long, I still do sales while doing the tech trainings, but I got an interview with RIM's marketing team this weekend that I am very excited about. I wonder if either one of the two people posting above me are psoting from their parents basements?
    12-05-08 09:21 AM
    I thought I could use BB maps, as well, until I cancelled VZ Navigator and removed VZ Nav from my BB. so it must be locked out - via Verizon Oh well
    12-05-08 11:34 AM
    Yeah haven't been a tech for to long, I still do sales while doing the tech trainings, but I got an interview with RIM's marketing team this weekend that I am very excited about. I wonder if either one of the two people posting above me are psoting from their parents basements?
    No, but if you get a job working for RIM with your depth of knowledge in anything technical I'd laugh my *** off. Don't take it personally, I run into people like you every day... it happens when I have to come in and fix the things that the "tech" people messed up.

There's 3 types of people.

1) People who know their stuff.
    2) People who think they know their stuff, but don't.
    3) People who know just enough to be dangerous.

I like people who fall under 2 and 3. I make a living off of them.
    12-05-08 11:47 AM
685 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD