04-18-09 03:25 PM
685 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    No Dodge - didn't you hear? VZW can do all! They are in the minds & hearts of RIM, LG, Chevrolet, Dell, the Iraq War commanders and even Charles Manson! Surely you got the memo where Verizon was the one who told old Charlie to kill those people.

When you have a moment, PM me with an email address . . . there's something I'd like to discuss with you off-Crack.
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 04-07-09 at 10:50 PM.
    04-07-09 10:47 PM
    Actually, it isn't capable of standalone operation within a mobile phone as the circuitry is tied into the device and has shared circuitry.
    Then why does the documentation from RIM state that it is capable?

As far as the statement about what VZW allows or doesn't allow, that is because the device, as received from the manufacturer, requires access to the network PDE, something that VZW is protective of for privacy concerns and costs.
    I was talking about standalone mode, which according to the RIM documents does not require access to the PDE.

Two opinions on gpsOne can be found here:
    These opinions don't mention how the RIM LBS API interacts with the gpsOne chip.

The Qualcomm product comes in several flavors - the least expensive is what is found in the older RIM devices. Not all will handle standalone or autonomous mode. From the Pearl/Curve back to 2000, you are looking at RIM putting the bottom end in their devices, as does most other manufacturers.
    Where did you get this informaton? I'd like to read more about these "flavors".

Thanks!
    04-08-09 01:19 PM
    Verizon sux in every possible way. Someone should file a class action lawsuit against them for being in business. Buncha scumbags and scammers. Anyone who charges a deposit for a fu*kin cell phone should be burned alive then fed to ethiopians. Fu*k verizon and everyone who works there

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Aww look who came up with a $400 deposit...... Probably because of several other bills they ran out on.

You're welcome to get a deposite free cell phone. Its called prepay.

04-08-09 02:14 PM
    Then why does the documentation from RIM state that it is capable?
    I cannot speak for RIM on this - but I do know their documentation also specifies that GPS does not work on all carriers.

I was talking about standalone mode, which according to the RIM documents does not require access to the PDE..
    You are correct - standalone mode would not require access to the PDE or any network resources. Unfortunately, all Curves on all networks require access to carrier PDE.

These opinions don't mention how the RIM LBS API interacts with the gpsOne chip..
    Very true, but that would need to go through the carrier network and use the carrier PDE. Most carriers freely pass this info along and it is actually difficult to mask in a GSM environment. CDMA is a different animal, though.

I think I mentioned radio on/off before. One thing I tried this morning was on an AT&T Curve I have here. There is no account tied to it, being long ago disconnected - 911 access only. I plugged it in, turned it on - and the GPS works. Turned off the radio and it goes into the search satellites mode. So this isn't a VZW issue, necessarily, but a network/device one.

Where did you get this informaton? I'd like to read more about these "flavors".
    Not really flavors - more like chip options. The basic chip operation is like a plain tortilla chip. Add the extra capabilities for Doritos. Okay, maybe we are talking flavors. It is too close lunch.

Last edited by TwinsX2Dad; 04-08-09 at 03:06 PM.
    04-08-09 02:42 PM
    Verizon sux in every possible way..... and everyone who works there
    As our friend before me mentioned, does your credit indicate you're a lowlife scumbag?

All carriers will charge a deposit on leeches, deadbeats & those generally unwilling to pay bills.

This dipstick obviously has no integrity, nor character - evidenced by what he says & how he says it.

04-08-09 03:10 PM
    Does anyone have any advice on how to begin a class action lawsuit. I am disgusted that Verizon has and continues to block GPS signals on its devices. I have the Curve and when I purchased it, I was under the impression my device had GPS capabilities. We all know the deal-just pay 9.99 a month and verizon will activate. We should as a whole BB connunity try to file a lawsuit against verizon to have this practice changed. Any legal advice and help would be great.

Last time I checked, my BB maps and Google maps was working.
    04-09-09 04:09 AM
    Last time I checked, my BB maps and Google maps was working.
    it only works for the storm... For the curve, it only works for BB Maps.

But just to see the odd relation at work btwn verizon and RIM... BB maps, a program that comes with RIMs OS... was blocked for a long time under verizon's GPS lock policy! So if the manufactures software is locked, that just goes to show that GPS was never meant to be blocked in the first place! Now... verizon has since unlocked it since this is an OBVIOUS contradiction of services btwn VZW and RIM, but it still doesn't take away from the fact that crippling GPS is not the proper business practice!
    04-09-09 10:17 AM
    I see you still have no clue as to how things work. Good to know nothing has changed.

04-09-09 12:48 PM
    I see you still have no clue as to how things work. Good to know nothing has changed.

Excellent point! damn fine excellent rebuttal if I do say so myself! LOL
    04-09-09 02:49 PM
    Excellent point! damn fine excellent rebuttal if I do say so myself! LOL
    He is referring to the fact you've been rebutted many many times in the past. Through all of that, is is readily apparent that you still are not anyone whose statements should be taken seriously by anyone of intelligence.

04-09-09 03:02 PM
    You can try to sue Verizon all you want for that but good luck. People should read the full terms and conditions before they sign a contract with a company. Grt over it. If you don't like it, cancel your service and move on to another company....
    04-09-09 06:08 PM
    He is referring to the fact you've been rebutted many many times in the past. Through all of that, is is readily apparent that you still are not anyone whose statements should be taken seriously by anyone of intelligence.

Comeone twins... Seriously! U need to stop hurting my feelings in this way!

04-09-09 06:11 PM
    Comeone twins... Seriously! U need to stop hurting my feelings in this way!
    Yeah well, it seems like we may have finally gotten rid of Sprintboys Lenny & Slingmud, then you return to this side. So, forgive my instant hostility.

04-09-09 06:57 PM
    People need to learn to read things first before just jumping into things.
    04-09-09 07:05 PM
    People need to learn to read things first before just jumping into things.
    We can mostly blame that on the OCFanboys.

04-09-09 07:56 PM
    do you guys know WHY it was blocked? because the vendors and developers of the applications (google maps for example) couldn't meat VZW's stability and security standards. only recently did one of their software versions pass VZW's test, and hence why google maps works with the storm...hmmm. maybe there's something to this "Carrier testing before allowing access to the network where our government transfers sensitive information" thing
    04-09-09 08:30 PM
    do you guys know WHY it was blocked? because the vendors and developers of the applications (google maps for example) couldn't meat VZW's stability and security standards. only recently did one of their software versions pass VZW's test, and hence why google maps works with the storm...hmmm. maybe there's something to this "Carrier testing before allowing access to the network where our government transfers sensitive information" thing
    Primarily? Money, network and customer security.

Money because licensing has to go back & forth. VZW & Google, for example, don't see eye to eye in either licensing nor privacy issues.

The security issues are plenty. Opening the PDE means also opening access to a lot of network & customer info. Contrary to what some may say, VZW protects customer privacy like few companies do, while companies like Google & some others see your info as dollar signs.

04-10-09 10:43 PM
    In fairness, I'd like to add one more thing on the issue.

AT&T is also very protective of customer data, unless they've changed in the past couple of years. But aGPS interactivity works differently on GSM than CDMA, so they can allow that and only give up privacy of customers who actually use the software - things like location and activity data collection. Other customers are not affected.

With CDMA, to open it for BlackBerry users would also open it for grandma with her LG flipper or Joe down the street who doesn't want GPS and doesn't want his information, even if it is simply location information, broadcast.
    04-10-09 11:03 PM
    Yeah well, it seems like we may have finally gotten rid of Sprintboys Lenny & Slingmud, then you return to this side. So, forgive my instant hostility.

frankly, I've gotten quite used to it!
    04-11-09 04:44 PM
    In fairness, I'd like to add one more thing on the issue.

AT&T is also very protective of customer data, unless they've changed in the past couple of years. But aGPS interactivity works differently on GSM than CDMA, so they can allow that and only give up privacy of customers who actually use the software - things like location and activity data collection. Other customers are not affected.

With CDMA, to open it for BlackBerry users would also open it for grandma with her LG flipper or Joe down the street who doesn't want GPS and doesn't want his information, even if it is simply location information, broadcast.
    So the "E911 location only" is a bunch of crap? I would think that if you have GPS off, GPS is off. I mean... seriously.
    04-11-09 11:47 PM
    So the "E911 location only" is a bunch of crap? I would think that if you have GPS off, GPS is off. I mean... seriously.
    The E911 Location Only can be accomplished with towers or GPS - most often both, simultaneously. That info is sent only to the carrier and not to some third-party.

Try turning GPS fully off on your BlackBerry.

04-12-09 12:44 AM
    once u set ur GPS to E911 only, it will close the door to any other feature on the phone, including verizons own VZ Nav. Now, its late at night and I'm not reading everything here so forgive me.... but are we talking about privacy again as a reason for GPS blocking? If we are, then ... omg! This weak argument will never end! If we aren't, then ... moving along
    04-12-09 02:08 AM
    Yes, privacy for consumers is a total non-issue. I mean, who cares about security?
    04-12-09 03:12 AM
    Yes, privacy for consumers is a total non-issue. I mean, who cares about security?
    You know it isn't. This is why there are so many people stupid enough to be victims of identity theft and why there are those who don't care that they are being tracked.

On a side note, it looks like Storm 2 is coming - reportedly with WiFi & GPS. Perfect for those who don't care about privacy. They want to give up their freedoms and security for a little convenience.

Worse, they want you & me to give up ours for their convenience.

04-12-09 03:27 AM
    I guess I don't see the big deal. I don't plan on committing a crime and I'm not nearly interesting enough for the government to follow. And I don't really feel the need to grab a tinfoil hat.

If the government wants to find me they already know where I live, where I work, my social security number, and probably all the credit/debit cards tied to my name, along wit the car I drive.

*Shrug* Again, I'm not doing anything wrong so the vague possibility of a bored NSA agent following my dull life in return for full-fledged GPS... sure.

(Not sarcasm.)
    04-12-09 11:53 PM
685 ... 1920212223 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD