04-18-09 03:25 PM
685 1234 ...
tools
    The funny thing is why doesn't Verizon activate the GPS on older Blackberry's retroactively. I mean the new 9530 isn't locked down unlike my 8830. It works perfectly with Google Maps and Blackberry Maps. They only charge for turn by turn voice navigation through VZ Navigator now. Maybe they will keep them unlocked on all upcoming BB's.
    11-22-08 11:14 PM
    doesn't work with google maps yet. does with bb maps.
    11-23-08 08:14 AM
    Does anyone have any advice on how to begin a class action lawsuit. I am disgusted that Verizon has and continues to block GPS signals on its devices. I have the Curve and when I purchased it, I was under the impression my device had GPS capabilities. We all know the deal-just pay 9.99 a month and verizon will activate. We should as a whole BB connunity try to file a lawsuit against verizon to have this practice changed. Any legal advice and help would be great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    By your own admission "I was under the impression my device had GPS capabilities. everything you are complaining about is YOUR own fault.

At NO time has VZW ever said: GPS enabled, GPS this, GPS that.

You know what happens when you assume?

You make and *** out of U and ME

VZW is NOT responsible for your mistakes, assumptions, or WANTS.
    11-23-08 08:21 AM
    Matter of fact Verizon success in the court room in the past 8 years have all been failures. There track record has been horrible and as of right now the lawsuit in California is handled by an outsource law firm for the Vendor and Verizon . Yea they have great lawyers.
    You do realize that VZW gets (in my estimation) thousands of lawsuits and the FEW that get to court they settle/lose/win.

That's your yardstick for success?

You do know that your contract REQUIRES binding arbitration???

So many whiny people, so little time.
    11-23-08 08:27 AM
    Another one...yay. Let's go down the same road or you could just read the posts stating the fact that we really don't care for your opinion when you present it like an insulting littlw *****. But have fun ***** boy

11-23-08 10:04 AM
    I was part of the VZW Motorola V710 Bluetooth class action lawsuit, VZW advertised bluetooth but had disabled full functionality. I remember getting fully refunded for my phone at payout. I don't see a big difference between the gimping of Bluetooth or the gimping of the GPS, unless there is some sort of legalese that no one reads in the user agreement....maybe VZW learned their lesson and put in the proper clauses.
    11-23-08 12:12 PM
    I've never seen so many VZW employee robots defending such a clearcut violation on behalf of the VZW corporation. It is a sign of the times I guess. I clearly understand a company trying to make a profit, but trying to gouge and manipulate the average consumer is indefensible. If verizon owned the GPS satellites in space or if they created the GPS technology in the phones then they would have all the right to charge for a service. I said it on this forum many times. Verizon chsrfing for GPS is paramount to charging their customers money to take a picture using the built in camera phone. Who cares about the opinions of the VZW employees anyway they are SO BIASED on this topic. They could care less about consumer needs or corporate greed.

11-23-08 02:12 PM
    By the way, I will move ahead and try a lawsuit. I will keep everone up to speed on the process.

delanobull likes this.
    11-23-08 02:13 PM
    It is also advertised that the Curve can send and recieve emails, pictures, and tether to your computer for Broadband internet access. All features you must pay extra for. You think GPS isn't included in these features because it's on board? VZW can get away with almost anything as long as they are the most profitable wireless provider. Welcome to capitalism..
    Yes, those functions make use of the phone radio. The blackberry device a Verizon user purchases is fully stated to work only with Verizon as a service provider. That provider provides both voice and data services.

However, the GPS unit is not the phone radio. A GPS unit is capable of obtaining a position without the use of the phone radio or any other external services. However, Verizon misrepresents their Blackberries' GPS capabilities. Their Blackberry unit is not able to obtain a GPS position without using a specific piece of Verizon software in conjunction with the Verizon network. This usage has an associated cost.

Because this cost was not represented in any way to the consumer prior to, or at the point of purchase, I see a lawsuit as a perfectly viable option.

Maybe I'll even come to the courthouse using Google Maps and my AT&T Blackberry with a real GPS unit
    11-23-08 04:22 PM
    In the meantime you GPS is probably unlocked and or you are getting your VZ Navigator for free. I don't care about driving directions with the GPS. I wan't actual grid coordinates while I am out in the field. Most cell phones are capable of that. Except the blackberries on verizon.
    11-23-08 04:49 PM
    GPS
    I'm also pissed about disabling gps. I shouldn't be forced to use their software to take advantage of hardware capabilities that I purchased with my phone. They are doing this because they can get away with it. I've read 2 years worth of threads on enabling the GPS on the 8830 and noone has gotten it to work yet. I'm curious how they enabled gps for BB maps but it doesn't work for Google maps. When you go to the gps setting in BB maps, on my phone it shows NONE which I know is a lie. I wonder what it says on the Storm? And if it shows up in BB maps, it really should show up in Google Maps.
    11-23-08 05:48 PM
    vzw also lost a class action suit by crippling some bluetooth functions on the moto v 710 cell phone some time ago...that just verizons way of doing business.
    11-23-08 06:26 PM
    You do realize that VZW gets (in my estimation) thousands of lawsuits and the FEW that get to court they settle/lose/win.

That's your yardstick for success?

You do know that your contract REQUIRES binding arbitration???

You know what you are 100% correct...the funny thing about it is the ones that do make it to court in the last 8 years...THEY LOST
    11-23-08 09:39 PM
    the thing that amazes me about this whole thing is that someone has not cracked this.

i mean we live in an age where people write entire operating systems from scratch, backward-engineer all kinds of drivers for computers, and someone can't unlock a gps? it just seems incredible to me.
    11-23-08 09:43 PM
    Here is a copy of the Verizon Class Action Lawsuit! However it is only being persued in the State of California. However, I found the details of the filing to be very interesting. I wonder if we could start a similar suit in all the other States.

D'oh. So much for our third-year law student.
    11-23-08 09:54 PM
    And AllTel disables blue tooth. Sprint and AllTel can't MMS. You bought the phone. You signed the contract. Deal with it.

11-23-08 10:07 PM
    I'm new to BB's, my storm should be arriving tues/wed because of when I ordered it. I work for a Verizon Premium Retailer that will remain nameless. From my many years of experience selling verizon phones they only disable the third party GPS on smart phones that are capable of running vznav. I have a palm centro and that phone has fully functional gps with google maps etc.
    11-23-08 10:52 PM
    This is the exact type of thing that a company like Verizon should have been more careful about. Phone companies are considered a "Public Utility" in the state of New Jersey, at least. This is why only certain states will file. NJ could definately qualify as a viable state to sue for this. As a Public Utility, Verizon is a sitting duck for a good law firm to take down. Watch and see.
    By the way, it is my opinion that filing a lawsuit against Verizon for this disgusts me to the point of being ashamed to call NJ my home state. Then again, so do a lot of other things about this sh*tty state.

11-23-08 10:57 PM
    D'oh. So much for our third-year law student.
    Its in one state and I don't see a mention of what court its being heard in front of...oh thats right. THEY NEVER ADVERTISED THAT FEATURE YOU MORONS. IT WILL NEVER SEE ITS DAY IN COURT.
    11-24-08 09:51 AM
    Its in one state and I don't see a mention of what court its being heard in front of...oh thats right. THEY NEVER ADVERTISED THAT FEATURE YOU MORONS. IT WILL NEVER SEE ITS DAY IN COURT.
    Why so sensative about this topic? Do you earn commission on VZ Navigator sales?

11-24-08 04:13 PM
    Why so sensative about this topic? Do you earn commission on VZ Navigator sales?

Matter of fact, there is almost no commission to speak of with VZ Navigator. Honestly, I wish they would unlock it so everyone would stop complaining about it.
    11-24-08 04:23 PM
    Yeah, that 70 or so cents I earn before taxes on vz navigator is really killing me. I'd hate to see that goldmine go away. I just get pissed when I see people thinking that they can get something that was A) never advertised by verizon B) feel entitled to because they lacked the forethought to do any research on the product they were purchasing before they purchase it.
    11-24-08 07:10 PM
    I bought my Blackberry from Verizon thinking it was a Tom-Tom Now I'm sad cause I have to pay $9.99 a month. I should have just bought a Tom-Tom for $250 and saved money after 26 months of use. I wanna sue too! And I wanna sue because my Curve was advertised with email and web, but I have to pay extras for that too! Oh, and I bought ringback tones from Verizon too cause I like people rocking out to eminem when they be callin' me, and it was advertised on Verizons site, I shouldn't have to pay for them either. Oh, and why should I have to pay for monthly service? The phone is advertised to make calls, I should be able to make calls to my friends without paying extra.
    That made me laugh !
    11-24-08 08:30 PM
    You want free? then get a bunch of cans and some string and supply them to your friends. Ditto on the laughter Dang when I bought car they never said I had to add gas or oil. They also told me about cruise control, never said I had to steer, dang freeway over pass pillars are hard. Then they wanted to charge extra for the new dents. whats this world coming to?
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-24-08 at 10:03 PM.
    11-24-08 08:35 PM
    You want free? then get a bunch of cans and some string and supply them to your friends. Ditto on the laughter Dang when I bought car they never saud I had to add gas or oil. They also told me about cruise control, never said I had to steer, dang freeway over pass pillars hard hard. Then they anted to charge extra for the new dents. whats this world coming to?
    If your car came with cruise control, would you be pissed if you'd have to pay the dealer every time you wanted to use the factory installed option? This is a better analogy.
    11-24-08 09:55 PM
685 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD