04-18-09 02:25 PM
685 ... 1718192021 ...
tools
    I got this EXACT call today, a guy trying to use every kind of GPS other than VZNAV, I told him it wasn't possible, and apparently Verizon had a press release saying that we were unblocking GPS.. I advised him that is not true, and told him to check this thread out if he didn't believe me.

Niiiice.
    03-31-09 04:43 PM
    Just for the record, I was in the "Verizon Sucks" crowd, but learning about the aGPS vs dual mode GPS, I agree with Verizon. If Verizon is providing servers to aid in GPS positioning, they should be able to charge for it. However, it would make sense from a public relations standpoint to go ahead and open it as part of the cost of doing business. Even make it a selling point to get more customers. At least it would quiet the malcontents.
    I agree, but doing so would expose proprietary VZW info and possibly customer info to companies out of VZW's control. Because of this, if the phone I have is single-mode aGPS, I'll just use a puck.

Come to think about it, it would be easier for VZW to block install of third-party apps than it would be for them to lock down a chip that can only be turned on & off. If they were solely revenue-driven, this would be a simple thing to do.
    You know, I doubt that will happen. The thread will just go dormant for a while, until another under-informed individual decides to take up the "free my GPS!" torch.

And we'll be back, to inform and abuse
    And you know me - I enjoy informing, but what I really relish is abusing them.

I got this EXACT call today, a guy trying to use every kind of GPS other than VZNAV, I told him it wasn't possible, and apparently Verizon had a press release saying that we were unblocking GPS.. I advised him that is not true, and told him to check this thread out if he didn't believe me.

Niiiice.
    Here's an idea - VZW should sell GPS pucks. Price them high, like $129.99 for a Freedom Input unit - say $259 with Garmin, advertised as a way to gain functionality not currently included with the phone. Then no one would buy them - if they did, it'd be a huge profit - and no one could reasonably say VZW was blocking anything.

Gotta love those customers who know everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-31-09 06:17 PM

Gotta love those customers who know everything.

They all REALLY seem to know everything. Makes me wonder why I even still have a job, if they're so smart.
    03-31-09 06:18 PM
    I had a brown box by my desk today, no pink slip though. Aw yes forgot we are getting ready move desks, got worried for a minute
    03-31-09 06:23 PM
    I always love seeing the supervisors twirling the boxes and smiling when they're firing my friends.

I keep my desk strictly "throw away" papers, just in case.
    03-31-09 06:32 PM
    But what other use it there for the empty copy paper boxes?
    03-31-09 06:49 PM
    I always love seeing the supervisors twirling the boxes and smiling when they're firing my friends.

I keep my desk strictly "throw away" papers, just in case.
    Your supervisors do the firing? What does HR do?
    03-31-09 06:54 PM
    Your supervisors do the firing? What does HR do?
    typically you go into HR, you and your supervisor/hr sit and have "the talk" while two other supervisors clean your desk, and meet you at the door with your plants, pez despensers, crayons and coloring books.

... then you go home.
    with all your crap.
    03-31-09 07:13 PM
    dude if you think you can win a lawsuit because they charge for gps your just a dumb ****.

seriously go to another carrier instead of creaming in your hairy ******. pay the etf of 175 which should be way less than court costs and your time and effort.

dumb ****....everybody wants a hand out these days
    03-31-09 07:21 PM
    I own a couple of garmin GPS's, they work swell!! I can not believe you people argue and call each other names in an online forum, I guess thats what you call E-TOUGH!!!
    03-31-09 07:36 PM
    I own a couple of garmin GPS's, they work swell!! I can not believe you people argue and call each other names in an online forum, I guess thats what you call E-TOUGH!!!
    Sometimes, some people just need to know they're stupid.
    Sorry to say it.
    03-31-09 07:38 PM
    typically you go into HR, you and your supervisor/hr sit and have "the talk" while two other supervisors clean your desk, and meet you at the door with your plants, pez despensers, crayons and coloring books.

... then you go home.
    with all your crap.
    Wow. That is exactly the same way it happens at my center.
    03-31-09 07:41 PM
    Maybe you can get their address and go over to their house and hack them up with a saw or something!!! Since they are so stupid who needs them around anyways?
    03-31-09 07:43 PM
    Sometimes, some people just need to know they're stupid.
    Sorry to say it.

I can't believe YOU said that!

But I agree with you..

03-31-09 07:43 PM
    Maybe you can get their address and go over to their house and hack them up with a saw or something!!! Since they are so stupid who needs them around anyways?
    Truth. This may have been sarcasm/a joke, but it's no joke to me.
    03-31-09 07:44 PM
    If you want a GPS buy a garmin if you want a good phone on a reliable network then get a Verizon BB. Stop crying about it a garmin works a lot better anyway.

03-31-09 07:49 PM
    If you want a GPS buy a garmin if you want a good phone on a reliable network then get a Verizon BB. Stop crying about it a garmin works a lot better anyway.

VERY WELL SAID!!! I THINK JNABBOTT IS REALLY ON TO SOMETHING MAYBE THE REST OF YOU SHOULD FOLLOW!!! GARMIN IS HAVING A HUGE SPRING SALE ANYWAYS!
    03-31-09 07:51 PM
    I don't understand the fuss about Verizon GPS. Can't you get a location with Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS?
    03-31-09 08:00 PM
    I don't understand the fuss about Verizon GPS. Can't you get a location with Options -> Advanced Options -> GPS?
    oh god someone please kill me
    03-31-09 08:27 PM
    VERY WELL SAID!!! I THINK JNABBOTT IS REALLY ON TO SOMETHING MAYBE THE REST OF YOU SHOULD FOLLOW!!! GARMIN IS HAVING A HUGE SPRING SALE ANYWAYS!
    No kidding - bigger screen, no memory hit on your BlackBerry AND you can navigate while talking on the phone, too. These things are now cheap!

What gets me is usually those who scream the loudest about GPS are the lazy doofuses who live in a community of less than 50,000 people and seldom leave. If you need GPS for that, you're too stupid anyway. I live in an extended area with 5 million people and I don't need GPS - it is a convenience!

Most likely, you didn't pay full price for the convenience of a BlackBerry & probably don't need it.

So you poor cusses who live paycheck to paycheck anyway, cut out a month's worth of Starbucks that you can't afford anyway and buy a Garmin or TomTom and stop whining & whimpering like babies.

NO, NO, NO! While I have the firepower to do it, my grandfather told me too many years ago to NEVER kill a voice of reason and intelligence.

The GPS whiners, on the other hand, he never mentioned. So I guess they are fair game anyway.

Anyone remember Charles Darwin? Didn't he say something about the terminally stupid not deserving to live? Well, okay, maybe he didn't quite say that, but...

03-31-09 08:42 PM
    e tough? never threatened to beat him up or lift a thousand pounds....just calling him out for what he is.
    03-31-09 08:42 PM
    Whatever kind of a lawyer you find, I'm SURE verizon has about 20 that are worlds better.......

03-31-09 08:43 PM
    Whatever kind of a lawyer you find, I'm SURE verizon has about 20 that are worlds better.......
    No way. Uh uh. You are so very wrong there.

Its more like several hundred.

03-31-09 09:13 PM
    Geez, thanks a lot, mate.

Like others have pointed out, there's a difference between getting a GPS location and getting a turn-by-turn navigation system. I just wanted to know if Verizon were so backwards as to cripple the GPS to only work with turn-by-turn or whether the OP and others don't realize this.

Sorry I dared to ask such a controversial question...
    Last edited by ydaraishy; 03-31-09 at 09:27 PM.
    03-31-09 09:19 PM
    Everyone is so polite.
    I love it
    03-31-09 09:25 PM
685 ... 1718192021 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD