04-18-09 03:25 PM
685 ... 1516171819 ...
tools
    Just so that I understand this as I'm a day old to Verizon coming from AT&T. I have a 8330 that I just got and a Storm that I was using on Verizon. The GPS doesn't seem to work on the Curve so from reading above it doesn't sound like it ever will correct? What about the Storm if I choose to activate on VZW?
    02-27-09 04:10 PM
    The Storm should work just fine.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-27-09 04:12 PM
    Ok........... I am not paying for GPS yet Google Maps works awesome so, the only thing you have to pay for is Verizons turn by turn directions which suck anyway...........
    02-27-09 04:18 PM
    Okay, thanks for the info guys. Appreciate it.
    02-27-09 04:19 PM
    Ok........... I am not paying for GPS yet Google Maps works awesome so, the only thing you have to pay for is Verizons turn by turn directions which suck anyway...........
    If you've not tried it, VZNav isn't that bad. AT&T's Telenav isn't awful either. I just can't see that they're worth $10/month and they aren't Garmin or TomTom.

If you want turn-by-turn, MapQuest is cheaper @ $50/year and the Garmin app can be had for less than $90 for the life of your BlackBerry. The problem I see with the Garmin app is that, while better than MQ, it isn't as good as the standalone units and you have to buy it each time you replace your phone.

02-27-09 06:09 PM
    Does anyone have any advice on how to begin a class action lawsuit. I am disgusted that Verizon has and continues to block GPS signals on its devices. I have the Curve and when I purchased it, I was under the impression my device had GPS capabilities. We all know the deal-just pay 9.99 a month and verizon will activate. We should as a whole BB connunity try to file a lawsuit against verizon to have this practice changed. Any legal advice and help would be great.

wow... ur a buffoon
    02-27-09 09:06 PM
    insults for stating an opinion... wow! Nice goin...
    02-27-09 09:17 PM
    notice how the below the belt personal insults only come from one side? I wonder why that is...
    02-27-09 09:19 PM
    I wouldn't expect nothing less from a VZW employee. Your probably one of those guys who looked at Obama's records.

Verizon duped their employees on this. What's next? Charging customers $1.00 for every photo they take with the phone? Oh wait, in order for the Voice activated Diailing to work, will we need to use the official VZW Voice Recognintion Software suite and be charged for it?

VZW should "give it up" and not gouge their customers for 9.99 to use a feature that RIM made available and virtually all other Wireless service providers make available for their subscribers.
    You sound like one of those whining customers who call in to complain about life. GET OVER IT! They do advertise the Navigator functionality on the device, but along with that advertisement is a 9.99 disclosure.

What is it about people who think that everything should be free? I really don't get it! As far as the data package is concerned that is something you were aware of at the point of sale and you signed the contract anyway. Also, the iPhone requires a data package that I don't see anyone whimpering about. In addition to that you kept the service following the 30 days. You are so miserable with Verizon? Go to Sprint or T-Mobile...

I love it how some people try to claim "I DIDN'T KNOW" AFTER signing a contract, does anyone know how to read these days?

You had a choice when you signed the contract and 30 days after that.

Life is really too short to be such a anal penny pincher...
    Take it from me, find a new hobby... Your life will be much happier if you learned to read and stopped crying about paying for a service.
    02-28-09 05:19 AM
    Multiple issues:

There is Verizon's Navigator and both pay-for and free competitors in Turn-by-turn

BUT

There are also a number of 3rd party apps that are not turn by turn. They merely record your route/path or just location and make that available so you can see your hike or bike ride - Verizon's does not perform that function. There are Geocache applications that allow you to hike to a hidden cache in a sophisticate game. There are geo-tagging apps for photos. There are streaming apps that allow you or others to track your location and path. There is some golf-geo program. All of these need a gps but do not necessary steal business from Verizon.

That's the issue - no one really knows what Verizon's reason for locking the gps is/are. They have claimed our privacy is at stake in some emails to complainers - that we could be tracked when we don't want. There is the supposed data-capacity of their network. There is the $$ from competition. Choose your lie of the week!
    I recall a scenario in which I had a customer call frantically and complained for over an hour that someone was hacking into her phone and was following her everywhere she went. That the supposed person was able to listen to her calls and read her text messages, some people are crazy! I got one of those calls at least once every other day.

I used to work for Sprint, so I can see where privacy and customer complaints may cause a company to add additional restrictions. But, even with all the security settings in place there are still people who think that there are nanobots in their brain lol...
    02-28-09 05:35 AM
    I recall a scenario in which I had a customer call frantically and complained for over an hour that someone was hacking into her phone and was following her everywhere she went. That the supposed person was able to listen to her calls and read her text messages, some people are crazy! I got one of those calls at least once every other day.

I used to work for Sprint, so I can see where privacy and customer complaints may cause a company to add additional restrictions. But, even with all the security settings in place there are still people who think that there are nanobots in their brain lol...
    Hello.... everyone knows midichlorians are real.
    02-28-09 05:37 AM
    insults for stating an opinion... wow! Nice goin...
    wow... ur a buffoon
    notice how the below the belt personal insults only come from one side? I wonder why that is...
    wow... ur a buffoon
    Cats & black kettles...

Of course, he'll never understand this reply - he doesn't possess the sagacity to do so.
    02-28-09 12:01 PM
    You sound like one of those whining customers who call in to complain about life. GET OVER IT! They do advertise the Navigator functionality on the device, but along with that advertisement is a 9.99 disclosure.

What is it about people who think that everything should be free? I really don't get it! As far as the data package is concerned that is something you were aware of at the point of sale and you signed the contract anyway. Also, the iPhone requires a data package that I don't see anyone whimpering about. In addition to that you kept the service following the 30 days. You are so miserable with Verizon? Go to Sprint or T-Mobile...

I love it how some people try to claim "I DIDN'T KNOW" AFTER signing a contract, does anyone know how to read these days?

You had a choice when you signed the contract and 30 days after that.

Life is really too short to be such a anal penny pincher...
    Take it from me, find a new hobby... Your life will be much happier if you learned to read and stopped crying about paying for a service.
    It's not that we think everything should be free, it's a simple fact that Verizon is intentionally restricting a feature made available by RIM in the Curve. How would you feel if Verizon charged you $9.99 a month to use the camera or 9.99 a month to record voice notes. Do a little research and I am sure your opinion will change.
    02-28-09 01:56 PM
    It's not that we think everything should be free, it's a simple fact that Verizon is intentionally restricting a feature made available by RIM in the Curve. How would you feel if Verizon charged you $9.99 a month to use the camera or 9.99 a month to record voice notes. Do a little research and I am sure your opinion will change.
    I've done the research and, unlike the fanboy sites like to claim, VZW is NOT restricting the GPS functionality of the Curve. We've gone point-by-point as to why this is a ludicrous claim.

I can take a VZW Curve, make no software or firmware changes, activate it on Sprint & GoogleMaps suddenly works. Take it back to VZW and it doesn't work.

Logic & reason tells me it is a network restriction with the app, not the device.

Then there are all the other points we've illustrated throughout these forums.

02-28-09 02:27 PM
    Cats & black kettles...

Of course, he'll never understand this reply - he doesn't possess the sagacity to do so.

LMFAO!!! ur too much! Its comical! U remind me of the late George Carlin n how he insulted and hated..... EVERYONE (comically of course)! I def see the comedy behind ur remarks now!
    02-28-09 06:41 PM
    <--on Verizon

<--GPS works fine
    02-28-09 10:19 PM
    I love everyone complaining over the fact that a business is taking steps to make money. The company is not there to hand you everything you want. Yes things cost money its why they started doing this in the first place, not to offer some free public service.
    03-11-09 11:07 PM
    And I thought this thread had died
    03-12-09 01:37 AM
    I love everyone complaining over the fact that a business is taking steps to make money. The company is not there to hand you everything you want. Yes things cost money its why they started doing this in the first place, not to offer some free public service.
    If you read the thread, and apparently you haven't (!), you would see that folks don't have an issue with Verizon charging for their software/service. The issue has nothing to do with any free public service. There's a GPS device in the phone that comes when we buy our phone from Verizon. It's our phone. They disable this device that is provided in the phone and only enable the device if you purchase their monthly service.

The issue isn't their service but their crippling of what is provided in the purchased unit forcing you to buy their service. And even why buying their service you are prevented from using other 3rd party applications that could provided different or improved functionality.

No one is asking for anything for free. We're looking to get the device we were required to purchase to function properly.
    03-12-09 07:02 AM
    so.... just out of curiosity... have you sued your internet company yet?

Because it seems that by your theory..... just cause your computer has a modem you should get it for free...

or just because your car has onstar capabilities they should be free
    03-12-09 02:14 PM
    If you read the thread, and apparently you haven't (!), you would see that folks don't have an issue with Verizon charging for their software/service. The issue has nothing to do with any free public service. There's a GPS device in the phone that comes when we buy our phone from Verizon. It's our phone. They disable this device that is provided in the phone and only enable the device if you purchase their monthly service.
    Unfortunately, the GPS device in the phone (with the notable exception of the Storm*) DOES NOT work without very specific support provided by Verizon's network . . . ephemeris data that their PDE server generates to allow the phone to obtain a position fix flows over Verizon's network. This, of course, requires VZW network bandwidth.

The issue isn't their service but their crippling of what is provided in the purchased unit forcing you to buy their service. And even why buying their service you are prevented from using other 3rd party applications that could provided different or improved functionality.
    Technically, the phone's not crippled. However, access to Verizon-provided data it needs to obtain a location fix is withheld by Verizon's policy.

No one is asking for anything for free. We're looking to get the device we were required to purchase to function properly.
    It would appear that you're asking Verizon to supply ephemeris data for free, and they don't. They only supply it to Verizon Approved applications, for which you are currently required to pay a fee. The only exception to this is BBMaps.

* The Storm's GPS also supports autonomous operation. None of the other VZW CDMA Blackberries do, with the exception of a short run of Curves manufactured in Canada during a chip shortage.
    Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 03-12-09 at 02:40 PM.
    03-12-09 02:31 PM

This is one the biggest fallacy perpetuated through Internet rumors by those who haven't a clue as to how technology works.

The GPS function in the Curve is fully functional. It cannot be made to work with BBMaps, but not other apps. If it could, hacks would've been published to get around it by now.

It is the third-party apps that VZW is not allowing access to their network. It has no connection to any insidious plot.

If people would get their heads out of their rectal cavities & figure out reality...

03-12-09 02:41 PM
    This is one the biggest fallacy perpetuated through Internet rumors by those who haven't a clue as to how technology works.

The GPS function in the Curve is fully functional. It can be made to work with BBMaps, but not other apps. If it could, hacks would've been published to get around it by now.

It is the third-party apps that VZW is not allowing access to their network. It has no connection to any insidious plot.

If people would get their heads out of their rectal cavities & figure out reality...

There. Fixed that for ya
    03-12-09 02:58 PM
    so.... just out of curiosity... have you sued your internet company yet?

Because it seems that by your theory..... just cause your computer has a modem you should get it for free...

or just because your car has onstar capabilities they should be free
    Your analogy is flawed because the GPS doesn't require service from Verizon. Assisted GPS might use network information, but a GPS on its own doesn't require anything more then the taxpayer dollars we already pay to have the satellites in orbit that provide the GPS service to everyone.

Just like when I but a Garmin GPS, their is no service cost and no expense to Garmin for me to use it.

Verizon is disabling functionality inherent in the device which we purchased and forces you to use their service for a fee. Recently, they allowed the BlackBerry provided BB mapping program to also work. Any other free or paid application that relies on the GPS still doesn't function. All they need to do is stop blocking something which on its own works out of the box and we can all go on our merry way.

So before you reply with another comment that is so off base folks really shouldn't respond, either read the thread or understand the technology. Then you can respond.
    03-12-09 04:10 PM
    I don't believe for a minute that Verizon needs to do anything to allow applications that work on any other BB to work on their network. That's not something you can just state without having some specific proof. Verizon, through their firmware, is preventing access to a piece of hardware. So unless you have proof to dispute the obvious, it doesn't make much sense just to say that Verizon needs to do anything to allow something that just works for everyone else.

Not that I care that much since I have multiple GPS units, but the philosophical position that Verizon is still taking ticks me off.
    03-12-09 04:16 PM
685 ... 1516171819 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD