04-18-09 03:25 PM
685 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    So what is everyone arguing about?? didnt verizon unlock their GPS on the storm to use with any third party apps? Google maps, BB MAPS, Garmin mobile, etc? so why even worry about paying with VZ NAV when you have 10 other apps that are better and free.(except for Garmin) Correct me if im wrong tho. Oh and even tho the "unlimited" data isnt unlimited. (5GB Cap) you know you would have to use like 150-170MB a DAY for the month to reach that limit. damn i barely use 100mb in a month. lol
    Last edited by Bigdaddy2009; 02-25-09 at 07:21 AM.
    02-25-09 06:56 AM
    So what is everyone arguing about?? didnt verizon unlock their GPS on the storm to use with any third party apps? Google maps, BB MAPS, Garmin mobile, etc? so why even worry about paying with VZ NAV when you have 10 other apps that are better and free.(except for Garmin) Correct me if im wrong tho.
    You are assuming everyone has the storm. Not everyone owns the storm or even wants the storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 08:11 AM
    People as a whole really believe they should get whatever they want for free. If they don't, they sue in order to force you to give them what they want for free. It's absurd. If VZW wants to charge you for a service on a phone on their network, they can. Of course this won't stop people from believing it's their right to have it for free and attempting to force you to give it to them. It works like this:

Person:
    I have to pay for that? No! I want it for free.
    Company: Well, we don't offer it for free. You have to pay.
    Person: Well then, I will sue you and make you give it to me, because I am going to substitute my want and greed with things like "rights".
    02-25-09 11:39 AM
    You are assuming everyone has the storm. Not everyone owns the storm or even wants the storm.

exactly! The freedom u have with ur storm, we do not have with our curves.

In the end, the hard headed will just go back to sayig "u want services, u have to pay for it." They'll also accuse us of wanting services for free.... calling us bottom feeders and cry babies

Thats all u'll ever hear over and over again like an annoying parot. But one thing u will never hear is a true rebuttle to what is unfair and greedy business practices. This is why they never answer directly and always go back to the comments above (missing the entie polint over and over again).
    02-25-09 11:44 AM
    I don't believe this will be solved here. Some folks think we are greedy and some think Verizon is greedy. That is clear.

PAYING TEN DOLLARS DOES NOT free the gps for use in man other available programs that use the gps. Verizon is not just asking for $10 so that folks can use the gps. They have still locked the devices up. Actually, the 8830 can't even use BBMaps since Verizon has not officially released an OS for the device.
    02-25-09 11:57 AM
    If your rebuttal showed any logic, reason or intelligence, it might stand.
    Well, opinions vary...this is just yours. I stand by my original post and, in my opinion, your response didn't adequately address my points.

Feel free to disagree.

You made no sound calls, nor any valid points in your response.
    It seems you missed the point of my original point in your response. Therefore, there was little more to point out...than that.
    02-25-09 12:03 PM
    People as a whole really believe they should get whatever they want for free.
    I stopped reading after this absurd blanket statement. You are in no position to know of or speak for "people as a whole".
    02-25-09 12:07 PM
    Oh no! It just hit me! I have OnStar on my new truck! It has full GPS capability, but I can only use it with OnStar! The brochure told me I could use it for navigation! Oh sure, it may have had fine print somewhere, but who ever reads those things? They can't expect us to actually READ those things!!!

I have a free year on it but if I don't want it after the first year, I will automatically be charged for it if I don't call them to cancel! That just is not fair!

Maybe I should sue GMC for not allowing me to use my GPS for Sync or Garmin or Mapquest! I mean, it is in there as standard equipment and I paid for the truck!

Anyone want to sign on to a class action suit with me?

Ludicrous.

02-25-09 12:15 PM
    Well, opinions vary...this is just yours. I stand by my original post and, in my opinion, your response didn't adequately address my points.

Feel free to disagree.

It seems you missed the point of my original point in your response. Therefore, there was little more to point out...than that.
    And you didn't once clarify how I failed to do so.

I even printed your original post and my response & passed it around here. The three people who read your post saw it much the way I did, although one mentioned my response may have been "a bit harsh."

02-25-09 12:19 PM
    emi signed them to a contract for 'unlimited amount' and 'unlimited supply' ... turned out that the band and the company had wildly different interperatations of the term 'unlimited'.

instead of flooding the market with the band's recordings, they effectivly limited the band's exposure by pressing very few albums.

'unlimited' has a low-end range too, as the band found out. they wrote the song 'emi' as a result.

that was 30+ years ago, and yet the lesson seems to be needed again for some...
    02-25-09 12:25 PM
    Oh no! It just hit me! I have OnStar on my new truck! It has full GPS capability, but I can only use it with OnStar! The brochure told me I could use it for navigation! Oh sure, it may have had fine print somewhere, but who ever reads those things? They can't expect us to actually READ those things!!!

I have a free year on it but if I don't want it after the first year, I will automatically be charged for it if I don't call them to cancel! That just is not fair!

Maybe I should sue GMC for not allowing me to use my GPS for Sync or Garmin or Mapquest! I mean, it is in there as standard equipment and I paid for the truck!

Anyone want to sign on to a class action suit with me?

Ludicrous.

GPS is not a service provided by a 3rd party as is the case with onstar. Use the concept of something that is free and installed by the manufacturer, since the GPS with all intent and purposes, is free, as far as RIM is concerned. FM/AM radio would be an appropriate example.

Ludicrous??? Think about that carefully when you attempt to twist comparitive ideas into one huge falecy only to prove your incorrect point! But u know your point is wrong to begin with which is why u used onstar as your example in the first place!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-25-09 at 01:29 PM.
    02-25-09 01:24 PM
    GPS is not a service provided by a 3rd party as is the case with onstar. Use the concept of something that is free and installed by the manufacturer, since the GPS with all intent and purposes, is free, as far as RIM is concerned. FM/AM radio would be an appropriate example.

Ludicrous??? Think about that carefully when you attempt to twist comparitive ideas into one huge falecy only to prove your incorrect point! But u know your point is wrong to begin with which is why u used onstar as your example in the first place!
    GPS Service is provided by the device and the satellites. The same as in car navagation. Since Verizon sells you the phone (device) THEY have a say of what they charge. As with OnStar and so on.

If you want free navigation buy a device made for that purpose. Not attached to a service provider and cost MORE than a phone its self.

I gotta add whats the difference between a car with OnStar and a Cell Phone with GPS? They are both made for a specific purpose besides GPS and both offer it as an option. Either aren't designed to solely direct you where you are going. Such as these "free" devices you speak of. Think of RIM as GM because they are essentially the same as manufacturing a device that supports GPS.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 02-25-09 at 01:45 PM.
    02-25-09 01:32 PM
    GPS Service is provided by the device and the satellites. The same as in car navagation. Since Verizon sells you the phone (device) THEY have a say of what they charge. As with OnStar and so on.

If you want free navigation buy a device made for that purpose. Not attached to a service provider and cost MORE than a phone its self.

I gotta add whats the difference between a car with OnStar and a Cell Phone with GPS? They are both made for a specific purpose besides GPS and both offer it as an option. Either aren't designed to solely direct you where you are going. Such as these "free" devices you speak of. Think of RIM as GM because they are essentially the same as manufacturing a device that supports GPS.
    again, the RIMs GPS is not an indepenant service as is onstar! So your point is mute regardless of how many ways you try to approch it!
    02-25-09 01:57 PM
    again, the RIMs GPS is not an indepenant service as is onstar! So your point is mute regardless of how many ways you try to approch it!
    How do you figure? In the end users eyes regardless of technology used it is the same. How is OnStar an a independent service? It uses Verizon for cell service and a form of a GPS receiver for navigation as with Blackberries?

Again free GPS is obtained by purchasing a stand alone GPS receiver.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 02-25-09 at 02:03 PM.
    02-25-09 02:00 PM
    Let me try to make this clear...

onstar is a service 100% independent from GM.

GPS has no service attached nor is it independent from RIM! Its a chipset designed and put in BY RIM. Its put in as a "UNIVERSAL" feature of the phone.

U know this is a losing argument for you. I don't know why you want to continue to hammer it till the end. Even I know your smarter than this...
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-25-09 at 02:10 PM.
    02-25-09 02:06 PM

onstar is a service 100% independent from GM.
    Onstar is a subsidiary of GM, Onstar is available only on GM vehicles and is installed at GM factories, it is not independent from GM at all.
    02-25-09 02:13 PM

onstar is independent from GM.

GPS is not a service nor is it independent from RIM! Its a chipset and that chipset is designed and put in my RIM. its not put in with a service requirement attached! Its put in as a "UNIVERSAL" feature of the phone. Yes, it is "assisted" by the network that gets the device. But that network is also one we pay for with unlimited data!

But in the end, my point is that GPS is not an independant service, onstar ont he other hand, IS!

U know this is a losing argument for you. I don't know why you want to continue to hammer it till the end. Even I know your smarter than that
    Well let me simplify it. OnStar then would be comparable Verizon(Still using OnStar as the example). They both use GPS chip. One has a chip in the phone one has a chip in the car. They both use satellites to tell you where you are. They both can be used as a free service if they choose. They both decide if you want that convenience you have to pay for it.

Just like Satellite radio. They don't have to charge you for their service like AM\FM is but they do because its a service provided by their equipment.

Simple. Seriously they do make devices that don't charge you monthly rates to tell you where you are going. Granted to access the features that VZ Nav and apps like it give you, you have to pay. But the navigation is still free. Out there for the buying. Just not in the device sold to you from a for profit company.

So the only argument comes down to "I'm not getting what I want", so I want to blame someone else.
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 02-25-09 at 02:18 PM.
    02-25-09 02:14 PM
    I can lead you to water but in the end, you'll still turn and go the other way regardless of the wet trail you see in the sand
    02-25-09 02:19 PM
    I can lead you to water but in the end, you'll still turn and go the other way regardless of the wet trail you see in the sand
    No intelligent on topic response? I wouldn't have anything else to say either if you made a point that actually made sense. I am willing to pay for a service that is convenient and provides me a benefit. There are other options but this one works for me. I use, pay and enjoy VZ Nav with out complaining. Because I know I am paying for a service someone else provides.

Just like you at your job. Someone is paying you for your services rendered. Even though you can do them for FREE!!
    Last edited by Lowsol94; 02-25-09 at 02:45 PM.
    02-25-09 02:21 PM
    you got my signature if a class action lawsuit is started!
    02-25-09 02:25 PM
    OnStar is owned by GM, but is available on some non-GM brands as well.

A quick rundown on the OnStar system may be in order.

The core of the OnStar system as installed in vehicles is a 51 satellite GPS receiver, a cell-network tranceiver and a satellite radio. It has a user interface that comprises various electronics components, including Bluetooth in some applications, along with an amplifier, speakers, a microphone system and an input for initiating & receiving transmissions.

What makes this different from any cell phone on the planet? Besides the fact it can interface with the vehicle's onboard systems (so can my BlackBerry through cable or Bluetooth), it has the satellite radio - just another radio frequency band.

Same basic functionality using a different form-factor. I am unsure, but believe that, like the BlackBerry, the OnStar system uses an Intel mobile processor.

Ownership of the companies is not an issue as I understand some of the mobile carriers own stock in device manufacturers.

GM advertises full GPS locating abilities & if they opened up the chip, you could use it with other services.

02-25-09 03:34 PM
    OnStar is owned by GM, but is available on some non-GM brands as well.

A quick rundown on the OnStar system may be in order.

The core of the OnStar system as installed in vehicles is a 51 satellite GPS receiver, a cell-network tranceiver and a satellite radio. It has a user interface that comprises various electronics components, including Bluetooth in some applications, along with an amplifier, speakers, a microphone system and an input for initiating & receiving transmissions.

What makes this different from any cell phone on the planet? Besides the fact it can interface with the vehicle's onboard systems (so can my BlackBerry through cable or Bluetooth), it has the satellite radio - just another radio frequency band.

Same basic functionality using a different form-factor. I am unsure, but believe that, like the BlackBerry, the OnStar system uses an Intel mobile processor.

Ownership of the companies is not an issue as I understand some of the mobile carriers own stock in device manufacturers.

GM advertises full GPS locating abilities & if they opened up the chip, you could use it with other services.

Even though it is irrelevant to the gps argument Onstar is only available on GM brand vehicles at this time. A rather quick check on the Onstar website confirms this. Other car companies may offer a similar system.

....and now back to the rather entertaining gps argument
    02-25-09 03:57 PM
    Even though it is irrelevant to the gps argument Onstar is only available on GM brand vehicles at this time. A rather quick check on the Onstar website confirms this. Other car companies may offer a similar system.
    Key to that is "at this time.". Both Toyota (Lexus) & Honda (Acura RL/TL) offered it in the past, dropping it to develop their own systems in conjunction with XM. The contracts are open for renegotiation if the XM partnership falls through, which may be likely with the continued troubles XM is experiencing.

Fiat is reportedly in negotiations to offer OnStar on its cars, including Maserati, Alfa-Romeo & Ferrari.

Now we may continue...

02-25-09 04:26 PM
    Again free GPS is obtained by purchasing a stand alone GPS receiver.

free GPS is purchased by purcasng a blackberry! Don't worry, this problem will correct itself! Just like it did with everything else in Verizon's past! This too shalll pass and the opening of BB maps for the 8330 was just the step that shows you the direction they need to go to retain customers.

I just hope that when it does change, you keep your honor and tell your rep that u still want it locked... that way you won't look like a hipocritical bottom feeder like u and your friends called us repeatedly

Onstar is a subsidiary of GM, Onstar is available only on GM vehicles and is installed at GM factories, it is not independent from GM at all.
    thanks for clarifying it twins

onstar is an independent company that can renegotiate with whomeever they want to, past, present, future! Its the same way a GM may have goodyear tires on their model lines. It doesn't mean that goodyear is all of a sudden a branch of GM!

Onstar is a mute point!
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 02-25-09 at 08:48 PM.
    02-25-09 08:46 PM
    And you didn't once clarify how I failed to do so.
    Number 1, I was posting from the hospital on a small break, number 2, after reading the tone, I didn't really think it was worth it. I didn't care to discuss it further with you.

I even printed your original post and my response & passed it around here. The three people who read your post saw it much the way I did, although one mentioned my response may have been "a bit harsh."
    I got you beat. I printed it out 10 times and passed it around to 4 doctors, 3 nurses, 2 orderlies and a partridge in a pear tree.

I don't put much stock into people who you claim support you, but I can't see or hear from myself. And even if I could, this isn't up for popular vote. I believe my arguments are valid and I didn't see where you adequately addressed them or countered them. And I don't mind that you disagree.
    Last edited by Sign543; 02-25-09 at 10:02 PM.
    02-25-09 09:16 PM
685 ... 1213141516 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD