04-18-09 03:25 PM
685 ... 910111213 ...
tools
    Just one small clarification, GPS in fully unlocked on the storm. SHuld not work on VZW devices that I am aware of.
    12-26-08 10:16 PM
    Just one small clarification, GPS in fully unlocked on the storm. SHuld not work on VZW devices that I am aware of.
    GPS is fully unlocked on the storm for BB maps and VZ navigator. As they have also unlocked it on the 8130, 8330 and the 8830 if you have upgraded to a 4.5 OS. Google maps will do the whole cell phone tower triangulation thing but I find that to be worthless.
    12-26-08 10:27 PM
    Storm should be unlocked for a whole lot more. I will find the documetation on monday at work.
    12-26-08 10:40 PM
    Does anyone have any advice on how to begin a class action lawsuit. I am disgusted that Verizon has and continues to block GPS signals on its devices. I have the Curve and when I purchased it, I was under the impression my device had GPS capabilities. We all know the deal-just pay 9.99 a month and verizon will activate. We should as a whole BB connunity try to file a lawsuit against verizon to have this practice changed. Any legal advice and help would be great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    to clarify your phone doesnt have GPS it has LBS. "location based services" is where your phone uses the towers in the network to triangulate your location, similiar to how GPS does with satellites. anyway, i know its mis-labeled a lot, id suggest maybe looking at it from that perspective. what is it you want to do with the location? use free apps to get navigation, etc?
    12-27-08 03:11 AM
    I'm not quite sure what you're saying here, but I can confirm that GPS works exactly the same on my Storm as it did on my Curve; i.e. With BB Maps and VZNav quite nicely but Gmaps only with cell tower triangulation/coordinates.

Last edited by Dodge Deboulet; 12-27-08 at 07:32 AM.
    12-27-08 07:29 AM
    to clarify your phone doesnt have GPS it has LBS. "location based services" is where your phone uses the towers in the network to triangulate your location, similiar to how GPS does with satellites. anyway, i know its mis-labeled a lot, id suggest maybe looking at it from that perspective. what is it you want to do with the location? use free apps to get navigation, etc?
    The phone does have GPS, in fact, I believe there was a law passed in the US saying all cell phone must have GPS for the purpose of 911 calls if nothing else. The GPS in the phone needs the cell towers to aid the GPS and in most case get the maps, but the phone does use satellites.

12-27-08 07:49 AM
    Here is the info I got from VZW:

BlackBerry Curve & Pearl

VZ Navigator Only - Version 4.3 or lower

BlackBerry Maps and VZ Navigator Only - Version 4.5 or higher

Samsung Saga, Omnia, and HTC Touch Pro

VZ Navigator Only
    Third party applications not supported at this time.

BlackBerry Storm

BlackBerry Maps and VZ Navigator and Stand Alone GPS
    Last edited by lastraid; 12-27-08 at 09:16 AM.
    12-27-08 09:14 AM
    The phone does have GPS, in fact, I believe there was a law passed in the US saying all cell phone must have GPS for the purpose of 911 calls if nothing else. The GPS in the phone needs the cell towers to aid the GPS and in most case get the maps, but the phone does use satellites.

Nope. No satellites. Just cell towers. They don't need to know your exact location because 911 isn't gonna get turn by turn to come save your ***. The cell towers triangulate to figure who the closest EMS is and route you to them. They will still ask you where you are. Read into the law more. VZW doesn't hage gps they have LBS. Why would a company build a redundant infrastructure when the one they have does the job?

01-12-09 01:46 PM
    If vzw doesn't have gps, why can I have bb maps do gps navigating and show my exact location? When I switch to google maps then it only triangulates? Gps is on this phone but vzw locked it & it is unlocked only on OS 4.5 for bb maps & vz nav only. It is ridiculous that they block our ability to fully utilize gps when it is available.

01-12-09 03:41 PM
    Verizon has been making some great PR moves recently, but not enough to withdraw the class action lawsuit pending regarding its GPS scam.

Verizon duped us and stuck their customers with a ridiculous $9.99 monthly fee to use a feature that RIM made available and part of the feature set on the 8330 Curve. All other Wireless service providers make the GPS available for their purchasers of the 8330 Curve phone, but Verizon BLOCKS it. Why? Why does Verizon want to tie this up in court? Why does Verizon treat those who purchased the Storm better than those who purchased the Curve? Google Maps et al should be unlocked for use with the GPS, until then the Class Action lawsuit continues.
    02-20-09 07:02 PM
    I didn't read this whole thread. Did you actually file? If so, what court? Do you have a copy of the lawsuit online?
    02-20-09 07:15 PM
    its unfortunate that supermike doesn't understand the technical and financial implications of why the Curve and Pearl do not have "open" gps. Clogging courts with frivolous lawsuits is a drain on society, helping no one and hurting everyone.

02-20-09 07:41 PM
    I didn't read this whole thread. Did you actually file? If so, what court? Do you have a copy of the lawsuit online?
    Probably just another grasp for attention.

its unfortunate that supermike doesn't understand the technical and financial implications of why the Curve and Pearl do not have "open" gps. Clogging courts with frivolous lawsuits is a drain on society, helping no one and hurting everyone.
    No kidding.

It is hard to believe the "CLASS ACTION AGAINST VERIZON" types still haven't gotten it.

The last one of these suits that got any press was in late 2007. All have been tossed so far, from what I understand. The problem for these kinds it twofold.

1) It has been established that a carrier has the right to offer whatever services they see fit, as long as those services fall within the legalities of communications law. It goes without saying that the courts also hold that because of this, carriers cannot be forced to offer something they don't want to offer. Because of this, we go to the second point.

2) Because of point one above, the few suits that have actually been filed were based on a false advertising claim. They say that Verizon (and Sprint in some of them) falsely advertised their devices as having GPS capabilities. Well, the law requires the devices to have location GPS functionality. Since all of VZW's devices have this, case dismissed - after all, saying it has GPS is not the same as advertising a device as having "fully open and accessible GPS capabilities" - something VZW has never stated in any ad.

Also, these "class action suits" didn't garner the support the originators hoped for.

There was a complaint filed in my state last year, in an attempt to get around federal court rulings on this subject. The case was not accepted because the plaintiff did not establish any probable wrongdoing on the part of the carrier.

Now, do a search (choose your search engine) for

+verizon +suit +GPS

and what will you find? Some references to a potential case in December 2007. The references were mostly unsubstantiated rumors & claims on sites much like this one - Pinstack, Howard, PhoneArena, etc. What happened to that case? From what I understand, it was a lot of legal fees for the organizers & it never got off the ground.

Something like this would catch the attention of the media. Even if it didn't, most courts have open records for civil suits that are available online & findable with a diligent search. I looked quite a bit and I never once found a legal filing that went beyond tentative or exploratory status - just a bunch of bluster.
    02-20-09 08:31 PM
    This may be as entertaining as the fire or don't fire football coaches on college team message boards. My GPS works just fine. You should have asked about NAVIGATION, the guy at my Verizon store made it clear that for that you had to buy their program.
    02-20-09 08:46 PM
    This may be as entertaining as the fire or don't fire football coaches on college team message boards.
    Are you following me from those boards?

02-20-09 08:58 PM
    Probably just another grasp for attention.

No kidding.

It is hard to believe the "CLASS ACTION AGAINST VERIZON" types still haven't gotten it.

The last one of these suits that got any press was in late 2007. All have been tossed so far, from what I understand. The problem for these kinds it twofold.

1) It has been established that a carrier has the right to offer whatever services they see fit, as long as those services fall within the legalities of communications law. It goes without saying that the courts also hold that because of this, carriers cannot be forced to offer something they don't want to offer. Because of this, we go to the second point.

2) Because of point one above, the few suits that have actually been filed were based on a false advertising claim. They say that Verizon (and Sprint in some of them) falsely advertised their devices as having GPS capabilities. Well, the law requires the devices to have location GPS functionality. Since all of VZW's devices have this, case dismissed - after all, saying it has GPS is not the same as advertising a device as having "fully open and accessible GPS capabilities" - something VZW has never stated in any ad.

Also, these "class action suits" didn't garner the support the originators hoped for.

There was a complaint filed in my state last year, in an attempt to get around federal court rulings on this subject. The case was not accepted because the plaintiff did not establish any probable wrongdoing on the part of the carrier.

Now, do a search (choose your search engine) for

+verizon +suit +GPS

and what will you find? Some references to a potential case in December 2007. The references were mostly unsubstantiated rumors & claims on sites much like this one - Pinstack, Howard, PhoneArena, etc. What happened to that case? From what I understand, it was a lot of legal fees for the organizers & it never got off the ground.

Something like this would catch the attention of the media. Even if it didn't, most courts have open records for civil suits that are available online & findable with a diligent search. I looked quite a bit and I never once found a legal filing that went beyond tentative or exploratory status - just a bunch of bluster.

VZW did feel the heat and we all should be grateful for the ones that filed to get VZW to wake up. Unfortunately where I live I have to use VZW but if I had other choices I would leave the Darth Vader of the Telecom world which is VZW.
    02-21-09 12:15 AM
    VZW did feel the heat and we all should be grateful for the ones that filed to get VZW to wake up. Unfortunately where I live I have to use VZW but if I had other choices I would leave the Darth Vader of the Telecom world which is VZW.
    Total BS excuse. There is absolutely no way Verizon is the only option.

02-21-09 12:29 AM
    This is a joke. You can go for the best coverage nation wide or you can go with a company that does not cripple GPS and get poor service. If you don't travel then you can get by with the other competition. Like me I get the best coverage bar none with Big Red. You pick your poison. Lets be realistic, its a Blackberry. Primary need is Email and calls, so get off your pedestal and lets worry about the more important things in life.
    02-21-09 01:08 AM
    Follow these complicated instructions.

1) Click in the address bar of your browser.
    2) Type in yahoo.com (or altavista.com or live.com or dogpile.com or even google.com)
    3) In the resulting seach window, type +verizon +gps +lawsuit
    4) Find anything verifiable in the results backing up any thought that VZW was actually sued over this, then find anything which would correspond with any change in their policies.
    5) Tuck tail & go to bed.

Total BS excuse. There is absolutely no way Verizon is the only option.
    Exactly - two licenses minimum for each market.

This is a joke. You can go for the best coverage nation wide or you can go with a company that does not cripple GPS and get poor service. If you don't travel then you can get by with the other competition. Like me I get the best coverage bar none with Big Red. You pick your poison. Lets be realistic, its a Blackberry. Primary need is Email and calls, so get off your pedestal and lets worry about the more important things in life.
    There are those who have no life - they can't even get VZW and come out to beat up on them without realizing there are maybe 250 complainers on the entire Internet compared to 80 million VZW customers who never even think to read the complaints these people try to pass off as valid. Thanks for being a rational voice.
    02-21-09 01:35 AM
    People need to unknot their panties. GPS works with the Balckberry Maps program very accurately without costing anything in addition like the Navigator program. You need to upgrade to 4.5, which is official thru VZW. Free download too, and I think it is for all of their BB devices. The reason that GPS doesn't work with a program like Google Maps is not because of VZW, that is something that Google hasn't gotten all the kinks out of yet...except for the storm. If you are all pissy about there not being GPS except for the storm...you need to read before getting all mad. There are plenty of threads of stuff talking about GPS and/or Google maps. Some people just need to read more than the last post. Which as of now is mine...

02-21-09 01:43 AM
    u think ppl are complaining just cause of google maps??? LMAO!!!

Google wishes they were this lucky! Lets try however..... ALL 3rd PARTY APPS!!!! sound better???

On a side note... I wonder how much data verizon is losing on unlocking BB maps for use with RIMs................ UMMMM .... "A" GPS chip!
    02-21-09 10:15 AM
    If you are taking about data revenue, none. Since all VZW BB devices require data plans.
    02-21-09 10:18 AM
    Exactly! However, twins excuse for verizon's right to locking down the aGPS chip was the use of data that comes with the usage of that service. Guess our unlimited data plans we pay for aren't worth all that much since a small amount of data is restricted crippling such a huge feature of their BB device line! Well, assuming we're even giving twin any validity to his comments.

Oh wow, guess what! I must have a blackberry since I'm posting this from my phone! How bout that!

02-21-09 10:33 AM
    Twins is correct. The Issue as I see it, is NOT a revenue concern, but chip issue. As you can see even for tethering or aircards, the reason for 5GB limit is that VZW needs to limit the traffic on the network and these connections are NOT meant to be a primary internet service. (Even Sprint has the 5 GB limit) this is how to maintan speeds, the more user off towers slows things down. Same with GPS (while using the satellite it still requires data and this comes from the network - and the fact of chip capabilities. Now that rambled on, I believe you have two concerns here that apples and oranges.

Sheesh hope this makes scence.
    Last edited by lastraid; 02-21-09 at 10:41 AM.
    02-21-09 10:39 AM
    it does make sense, however the issue then becomes, does GPS/data traffic alter their network speeds as such that only customers with blackberry curves/pearls/WE models should be limited to a locked down feature that opens up a world of posibilities and benefits to the consumer? despite verizon not making a direct profit off those features...

Then lets not forget that other carriers do not follow the same practice...

Then the skeptical side comes into play here ... monopolizing VZ Nav to eliminate the competition, Trying to market storm with capability beyond that of older BBs... etc
    02-21-09 10:51 AM
685 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD