04-18-09 03:25 PM
685 123 ...
tools
    Does anyone have any advice on how to begin a class action lawsuit. I am disgusted that Verizon has and continues to block GPS signals on its devices. I have the Curve and when I purchased it, I was under the impression my device had GPS capabilities. We all know the deal-just pay 9.99 a month and verizon will activate. We should as a whole BB connunity try to file a lawsuit against verizon to have this practice changed. Any legal advice and help would be great.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-22-08 02:51 PM
    For legal advice, I'd suggest contacting a local attorney in your area.
    11-22-08 02:53 PM
    do not know how to start one, but i'll join it. i too was duped into thinking GPS was part of the deal, but not for 120.0 a year!
    11-22-08 02:54 PM
    For legal advice, I'd suggest contacting a local attorney in your area.
    I imagine a Corporate Law attorney would be best.

11-22-08 02:56 PM
    this is like suing a company for putting a governor on your car. They never advertised that it would have the GPS function did they? Did anyone tell you that? No...in order to have a lawsuit you have to have actual damages. You do not. Give it up.
    11-22-08 03:35 PM
    Btw, I'm a 3rd year law student and a vzw employee. if someone told you your curve would have GPS by all means you may have a recourse. No one told you that though. You purchased something without proper research and just assumed and you know what they say...
    11-22-08 03:36 PM
    Just look for an ambulance and you will find a couple of dozen lawyers running after it. Geeeezzzz!
    11-22-08 03:38 PM
    GPS is an advertised device function. Simple as that and there is already a pending class action if you google verizon GPS.

11-22-08 06:14 PM
    GPS is an advertised device function. Simple as that and there is already a pending class action if you google verizon GPS.

Do you know of the website?
    11-22-08 06:21 PM
    this is like suing a company for putting a governor on your car. They never advertised that it would have the GPS function did they? Did anyone tell you that? No...in order to have a lawsuit you have to have actual damages. You do not. Give it up.
    I wouldn't expect nothing less from a VZW employee. Your probably one of those guys who looked at Obama's records.

Verizon duped their employees on this. What's next? Charging customers $1.00 for every photo they take with the phone? Oh wait, in order for the Voice activated Diailing to work, will we need to use the official VZW Voice Recognintion Software suite and be charged for it?

VZW should "give it up" and not gouge their customers for 9.99 to use a feature that RIM made available and virtually all other Wireless service providers make available for their subscribers.
    11-22-08 06:28 PM
    Here is a copy of the Verizon Class Action Lawsuit! However it is only being persued in the State of California. However, I found the details of the filing to be very interesting. I wonder if we could start a similar suit in all the other States.
    11-22-08 06:39 PM
    I bought my Blackberry from Verizon thinking it was a Tom-Tom Now I'm sad cause I have to pay $9.99 a month. I should have just bought a Tom-Tom for $250 and saved money after 26 months of use. I wanna sue too! And I wanna sue because my Curve was advertised with email and web, but I have to pay extras for that too! Oh, and I bought ringback tones from Verizon too cause I like people rocking out to eminem when they be callin' me, and it was advertised on Verizons site, I shouldn't have to pay for them either. Oh, and why should I have to pay for monthly service? The phone is advertised to make calls, I should be able to make calls to my friends without paying extra.
    11-22-08 07:23 PM
    Why don't you just get another provider? ... And how were you duped when you have 30 days to return the phone? If within 30 days you didn't realize the GPS restraints you don't really use or need GPS. Your lawsuit won't win...why? Because VZW doesn't have a cellphone monopoly and you have choices... Believe me, VZW has checked every angle and they have lawyers most people could never afford.

11-22-08 07:42 PM
    Why don't you just get another provider? ... And how were you duped when you have 30 days to return the phone? If within 30 days you didn't realize the GPS restraints you don't really use or need GPS. Your lawsuit won't win...why? Because VZW doesn't have a cellphone monopoly and you have choices... Believe me, VZW has checked every angle and they have lawyers most people could never afford.

Verizon Lawyers just lost a lawsuit regarding early termination fees.
    11-22-08 09:02 PM
    Fact of the matter is its an ADVERTISED device function. We paid for the device and should be able to use it's on board functions. GPS is something that there really is no need to charge for outisde of the VZ navigation program. Its more along the lines of a problem verizon has of trying to monpolise and restrict phone functions outside of their control. I really don't get why soo many people have a problem with others wanting to use functions they paid for for free.. If you don't agree with them don't respond simple as that. I think we all get your thoughts on it and honestly do not care

11-22-08 09:03 PM

Matter of fact Verizon success in the court room in the past 8 years have all been failures. There track record has been horrible and as of right now the lawsuit in California is handled by an outsource law firm for the Vendor and Verizon . Yea they have great lawyers.
    Last edited by dmiller622; 11-22-08 at 09:37 PM.
    11-22-08 09:13 PM
    Btw, I'm a 3rd year law student and a vzw employee. if someone told you your curve would have GPS by all means you may have a recourse. No one told you that though. You purchased something without proper research and just assumed and you know what they say...

That is not true at the Verizon store where I live states the phone has GPS and does not say you need to pay 9.99 a month on the listing next to the curve. So if a customer whom buys the phone is already thinking the phone has GPS. When I purchased my 8330 the Verizon rep told me all the features of the phone and did mention GPS but did not say anything about Vznav.

I have a picture of the listing in the store that does not even say anything that you need purchase an option to have GPS working. If you are a 3rd year law student you need to read the complaint that was filed and see the misrepresntation that Verizon has lead their customers. Since you are a Verizon employee and I am not sure how long you have been employed with them. But Verizon is a known company to mislead customers continuously for years.
    Last edited by dmiller622; 11-22-08 at 09:28 PM.
    11-22-08 09:20 PM
    Does anyone have any advice on how to begin a class action lawsuit. I am disgusted that Verizon has and continues to block GPS signals on its devices. I have the Curve and when I purchased it, I was under the impression my device had GPS capabilities. We all know the deal-just pay 9.99 a month and verizon will activate. We should as a whole BB connunity try to file a lawsuit against verizon to have this practice changed. Any legal advice and help would be great.

I suggest you contact the Bar Association within your state and tell them what you want to do. They will find an attorney that will take your complaint without you going broke on a retainer fee. One of my coworkers has already started one here in Virginia and it should be filed to the State of Virgina courts in Jan. 2009. It takes some investigation and some other things they need to do prior to filing the lawsuit. But in Virginia they have similar laws that protect the consumer like they do in California.

I feel the more that are filed the more heat it places on Verizon either enable it or tell customers from the start they have disabled the GPS in order to have it you have to pay for it.
    11-22-08 09:35 PM
    I did some checking on the filed suit. I see this was filed in 2007. As of today this suit has not even been certified yet. Meaning the court has not even ruked on the validity yet.
    Last edited by lastraid; 11-22-08 at 11:17 PM.
    11-22-08 10:21 PM
    I wouldn't expect nothing less from a VZW employee. Your probably one of those guys who looked at Obama's records.
    That's absolutely ridiculous and unnecessary to accuse someone of, grow up.

Fact of the matter is its an ADVERTISED device function. We paid for the device and should be able to use it's on board functions. GPS is something that there really is no need to charge for outisde of the VZ navigation program.
    It is also advertised that the Curve can send and recieve emails, pictures, and tether to your computer for Broadband internet access. All features you must pay extra for. You think GPS isn't included in these features because it's on board? VZW can get away with almost anything as long as they are the most profitable wireless provider. Welcome to capitalism..
    11-22-08 10:40 PM
    Yes but the thing about email and such is that anyone with any knowledge knows you are using verizons service for those functions. GPS on the other hand is a part of the phone. Why can't you just admit VZW is wrong on something?

11-22-08 10:43 PM
    Yes but the thing about email and such is that anyone with any knowledge knows you are using verizons service for those functions. GPS on the other hand is a part of the phone. Why can't you just admit VZW is wrong on something?

Because they are not "wrong." They have the right to charge for anything they want, you're just upset you don't get it for free. Did you read the contract before you signed it?
    11-22-08 10:49 PM
    Never going to admit wrong. Whatever...

11-22-08 10:53 PM
    It is disturbing to see the argument of voice coverage, email and data. Before you purchase the phone you must subscibe to those services. Features such as GPS, camera and video functionality are device functions that should not be restricted by Verizon.

11-22-08 10:54 PM
    Ok, have your party. Good luck with your lawsuit, I hope you get us all free GPS.

11-22-08 11:07 PM
685 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD