Hi
    I'm in China (Qingdao) and my Verizon 8530 is working. Email web all work the same as back home. But I never signed up for international plan or roaming. ShouLd this even work here?

I was under the impression that all of Asia was gsm not cdma.
    The phone doesn't work but the email and web do work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-30-10 08:21 PM
    Data roaming at 2 cents per kb. Have fun.

03-30-10 08:23 PM
    Be CAREFUL - charges might bury you.
    03-30-10 08:25 PM
    Is it possibly hooking up thru wifi?
    03-30-10 08:45 PM
    yikes! time to pull the battery out!

2 cents a kb? I'm in the wrong business.

Thanks for the heads up guys.
    03-30-10 08:51 PM
    Are you sure that it wasn't connected through WiFi?
    03-30-10 10:36 PM
    There are CDMA networks in India, Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam, South Korea, Japan, and China. China Telecom operates on CDMA/EVDO. There are also CDMA networks in Hong Kong, but not Macau as far as I know.

Lot's of CDMA in Asia.
    03-31-10 12:48 AM
    Are you sure that it wasn't connected through WiFi?
    oh yeah, i was in a car so no chance of catching a wi fi signal.
    04-01-10 01:07 AM
    Hi
    I'm in China (Qingdao) and my Verizon 8530 is working. Email web all work the same as back home. But I never signed up for international plan or roaming. ShouLd this even work here?

I was under the impression that all of Asia was gsm not cdma.
    The phone doesn't work but the email and web do work.

Call us at 908 559 4899, and we can get it added for you so you don't have to worry about any monster bills.

SE Asia is a HUGE CDMA market, so you'll be able to do tons of roaming there.
    04-01-10 01:48 AM
    The international packages don't enable the functionality, they just make it more affordable.
    04-01-10 01:51 AM
    The international packages don't enable the functionality, they just make it more affordable.
    Yeah, um, if you were paying attention, the guy's already got the functionality. LOL

Edit: Or were you talking to the other guy?
    04-01-10 01:52 AM
    I'm under the impression that so long as your network options are set to "global" it will bounce off any service signal regardless of GSM or CDMA or an international plan.

Its the fees that make the difference btwn getting an international plan verses just roaming and eating up the cost.

Am I right?
    04-01-10 10:37 AM
    They still have to have idial in order for it to work in most locations.
    04-01-10 01:23 PM
    I'm under the impression that so long as your network options are set to "global" it will bounce off any service signal regardless of GSM or CDMA or an international plan.

Its the fees that make the difference btwn getting an international plan verses just roaming and eating up the cost.

Am I right?
    You can essentially use your phone and use pay per use data. In GSM, the SIM card would still have to be activated in order for it to work at all. So if you were to have an active SIM and idial and be set to Global, you could use your phone pretty much any where and just have pay per use data and pay for calls and text.
    04-01-10 01:26 PM
    Be CAREFUL - charges might bury you.
    If the charges don't, the communists will

Run for your lives!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    04-01-10 01:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD