So,

I am thinking about purchasing a local Tour 9630 for fairly cheap, and holding me over until my upgrade becomes available in May. I know, I know the Tour 2 (9650) is coming out in Feb, but I don't feel like spending that amount of cash for a new phone without an upgrade (CRAZY, not sure why my upgrade is so late, but whatever). The background being he switched from Verizon to AT&T, and had the Tour as a result.

The seller has given me the 18 digit MEID/ESN and all the various numbers on the device, and I called Verizon today to possibly check the phone. They could not locate the device in the system utilizing any of the numbers.

Is this good or bad?
    01-13-10 06:38 PM
    Prob not good and if the price is too cheap, this is not good either. How do you know the tour 2 is coming out in FEB?
    01-13-10 06:42 PM
    Read it in the Tour 2 Essex forum. I forgot what exact post its in, but they are guessing somewhere around Feb 3rd or so. This is based on a fairly accurate email.

The price is around $150. I have received pictures, all numbers. I just want to know why the MEID wouldn't come up at all, other than not being correct? Does this mean the phone hasn't been reported stolen/lost?

I am pretty sure the phone is not activated, at the current moment.
    Last edited by race2c; 01-13-10 at 06:58 PM.
    01-13-10 06:54 PM
    I would ask for the numbers again. If he misread it just by one number, that could explain the whole problem. If it had been reported stolen/lost, it would show up on their stolen/lost list.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-10 07:22 PM
    The reason I ask is because if the BB didn't not appear in the database then the phone wouldn't have been reported lost/stolen?

Is this correct logic?

Or should the BB appear in the system no matter what?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 01:47 AM
    It would only appear if it was reported.
    01-14-10 02:13 AM
    I would think the esn would be at ATT not VZW
    01-14-10 09:04 AM
    I would think the esn would be at ATT not VZW
    that sounds far more likely. I would double check the #'s and call both vzw, and att.
    01-14-10 09:08 AM
    that sounds far more likely. I would double check the #'s and call both vzw, and att.
    AT&T doesnt sell the Tour.....
    01-14-10 11:09 AM
    Hey i have had the same problem the rep told me that the numbers were not coming up in the system, so being that i already purchased the phone i had the numbers 100% right i called back a couple minutes later and the new rap told me that their wasn't any fraud reported on the phone. Well i think verizon is trying to cut back on people buying phones second hand so when you call to check the esn number they may tell you the numbers cant be found but just cll back and try to speak to a new rep.
    01-14-10 11:12 AM
    A little bit of an update.

I called Verizon with a MEID containing the 5 0's at the beginning as opposed to the 18 digit number. This number came up in Verizon's database, but not as a "blacklisted" or "nonpayment" Blackberry. The Blackberry came up as a clear through Verizon.

The phone should be ready to activate upon the Verizon Network, given it has had a certain amount of time has passed since the closure of previous owner's account (per Verizon). What is this about? What kind of time frame are we looking at here? They said this was based on his billing cycle/process.

I am not sure how long the Blackberry has not been active, I do know the Tour is approximately 3 months old. A meeting time has been made today to see the Blackberry, sort out details, questions, etc.
    01-14-10 11:48 AM
    well if the phone ha not been backlisted then you can activate the phone on your account with no problem!
    01-14-10 12:02 PM
    Thanks everyone for the help. I will update later.

Best way to activate Blackberry is through Customer Service? I do not have an online account.
    01-14-10 12:04 PM
    Update

I found out that I had to wait until 1/18/2010, yesterday because the 9630 was still on the billing process for the previous account. After waiting until this date and arguing with the customer service representative on the phone, the phone got activated. I had to argue with the representative because "I was not an authorized person to make changes to the account." The 9630 is on a family plan type deal, so they had to call the account owner and go from there. I can see them doing this for their protection, but considering the number was going from BB --> BB...whats the problem.

Now, I am currently a person who is authorized to make changes to the account. AND.... I am sporting a new (to me) 9630 with a new OS.

This thing shows great, VAST improvements over my 8130. Its incredible how I used that thing on a daily basis. Now, this 9630 will last me until May and who knows what kinds of Blackberries will be out by then.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    01-19-10 10:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD