I have a bill dated 9/18, "Enhancements To Your Bill" notice is in box on the front page, details are on the very back page. Goes into effect on October's bill.

They have two new policies that you have to call in to opt out of.

1) If you choose to pay by check VZW will retain bank info (account# and routing #) for use with future payments you make by phone or online.

2) If you pay by check, the check authorizes VZW to make a one-time EFT from your bank account or process as a check. (Their call on that I guess.) If they process as an EFT it "may be withdrawn from your account the same day you make your payment". (That part makes zero sense to me. If one writes a check & mails it in, it's a good 4 or 5 days before they post it. So how can they go back retroactively to the 'day you make your payment', which would be the day you write the check? Or am I just particularly ignorant today and misinterpreting?) Also, if they choose to use it as an EFT then "no check is returned".

Just thought I'd offer a heads up in case anyone doesn't want those policies in force on their account. You have to call this dedicated number for opting out: 1-866-544-0401
    09-28-10 07:02 PM
    Who writes checks anymore?
    09-28-10 07:15 PM
    I was thinking the same thing.

But the info is good for people who do still write checks.
    09-28-10 07:39 PM
    I pay all my bills online. I do know as a VZ employee that VZ wants us to push paying online to every customer that we are in contact with, which I think that's a wee bit absurd since there are some people that do write out the check and mail it out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-28-10 07:54 PM
    Thanks for the info. Automatic online bill pay is the method i use but good to know for the check writers.

09-28-10 08:07 PM
    Check-writer, here!!
    09-28-10 08:38 PM
    I pay my bill online via my banks bill pay service.
    However, with check 21 most checks are done electronically now anyways. This sounds like writing them a check gives them the right to save your account information.
    09-28-10 09:45 PM
    Yeah i think you're right. At my work checks are processed electronically so they come out right away. i wonder why VZW wants to save the info now? Too many bad checks?

09-28-10 09:47 PM
    Yes. Basically if you write a check and it bounces, they can resubmit it as many times as they want. With check 21 there is no such thing as only submitting a check 2 times anymore. Banks do not get a physical check back to stamp the "do not redeposit" on.
    09-28-10 09:52 PM
    Ah ok. Thanks for the insight.

09-28-10 10:02 PM
    They will process your payment as an EFT rather than sending it to the bank to deposit. The check will not be returned with your bank statement either. It will be processed on the same day that they receive it (which is what they are calling "the day that you make your payment", not backdated to the date of the check). This method is actually quite common in the business world these days. In effect, the business is acting as the teller and processing the payments for the bank in house. Saves time and expense for both the business and the bank.

That said, I bet that I don't write more than 3 or 4 checks a year these days. It is strictly electronic paymentsa for me!
    09-29-10 08:45 AM
    I don't even know where my check book is or what my checks look like.

09-30-10 09:56 AM
    I'm not a big fan of checks either... Good information to have though
    10-01-10 09:09 AM
    Yeah, I don't use checks but know thers that do.
    Might be a good thing to opt out of, I don't know.
    Just received a letter from VZW my account was compromised, and enough personal info from their records was obtained to satisfy an ID thief. But I'm going to start a different thread on that.
    10-03-10 09:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD