I'm a BB Curve 8330 user, and I have really enjoyed my time with this phone.

It's worked better for me than any other BB I've owned, so I sort of made a promise to myself that I would always stick with Blackberry, and that if another Curve was to be released, I would jump right on it! I normally get a new device once a year, and my year is up, so I'd like another Curve.

Well, it seems the stories I'm reading are suggesting that Verizon is about to release a newer Curve (8530?), but that it's really just a cheap upgrade to the existing Curve 8330.

I'm reading that the only "real" change is that it will have WiFi! Now I'm not posting this as news, because obviously, it may be common knowledge. But I am looking for someone to provide more insight regarding this "upgrade" and what new features (besides WiFi), if any, this new Curve will have.

This also makes me think that if I'm to get a new phone, I'll need to either go ahead and get a Tour (don't really like the keypad), or wait until Verizon offers another upgrade to the Curve after the scheduled one. That would have me using the same phone through the end of 2010 or the beginning of 2011, IF I'M LUCKY! UGH!!!!

If anyone has more info regarding VZWs forthcoming Curve, please provide it! Just need some light to shine in my dark mind! LOL!
    08-31-09 01:41 PM
    Lol, the only upgrades are the WiFi, more app memory (256MB), the trackpad..

IMO I think you are better off with the 8330 because there's really no big upgrade and the device is wrking good for you...if anything I would rather upgrade to the Tour is deff an upgrade and I have a Bold (which has the same keyboard as the Tour jus a bit bigger) and is deff a better keyboard than the curves after you get used to it...
    08-31-09 01:52 PM
    Lol, the only upgrades are the WiFi, more app memory (256MB), the trackpad..

IMO I think you are better off with the 8330 because there's really no big upgrade and the device is wrking good for you...if anything I would rather upgrade to the Tour is deff an upgrade and I have a Bold (which has the same keyboard as the Tour jus a bit bigger) and is deff a better keyboard than the curves after you get used to it...

If the "upgrades" are minimal, what's the blooming point in releasing the device in the first place??????? *SMH*

It looks like I'm going to wind up with a Tour.......*sigh*
    08-31-09 02:37 PM
    If the "upgrades" are minimal, what's the blooming point in releasing the device in the first place??????? *SMH*

It looks like I'm going to wind up with a Tour.......*sigh*
    More memory, a little more processor, a little sleeker look. There isn't a whole lot of innovation on the horizon for BlackBerry - mostly evolutionary changes from what we had four years ago.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-31-09 02:53 PM
    Why fix something that's not broke...
    Looooove my curve ;-)

08-31-09 03:04 PM
    The 8530, IMO, is a "downgrade" from the 8330. No GPS, no flash. I love my 8330. I like to get the new flashy phone just as much as the next guy, but there's really nothing out there worth it. (Again, all my opinion).
    08-31-09 03:11 PM
    More memory, a little more processor, a little sleeker look. There isn't a whole lot of innovation on the horizon for BlackBerry - mostly evolutionary changes from what we had four years ago.

Isnt that the truth.......I love my MT3G android software is just so sweet.....but I think twins was even mentioning earlier that the 5.0 release is going to be watered down....correct me if I am wrong here twins....
    08-31-09 03:25 PM
    The 8530, IMO, is a "downgrade" from the 8330. No GPS, no flash. I love my 8330. I like to get the new flashy phone just as much as the next guy, but there's really nothing out there worth it. (Again, all my opinion).
    kudos i see it as a oversized curve nothing really big..
    08-31-09 04:12 PM
    Isnt that the truth.......I love my MT3G android software is just so sweet.....but I think twins was even mentioning earlier that the 5.0 release is going to be watered down....correct me if I am wrong here twins....
    Not really watered down - just nothing earth-shattering, revolutionary or that breaks new ground. If you know BlackBerry 4.X, you will be very familiar with 5.X.

I fear that these things may be falling further & further behind, technologically.

As to your Android reference - you have to consider that anything RIM can do, Google & Microsoft could do better - the question is, when they will do it better. I see both surpassing BlackBerry, in dramatic fashion, within 6-9 months. Then there is the Linux-based Maemo that Nokia is getting ready to roll with.

It will be a golden age for consumers & probably the worst time to be faithful to any particular platform. By this time next year, all of the players will have shown their hands & then we will be able to make an intelligent decision - maybe not which is best, but at least which is best for our individual needs.

With what I know right now, I am thinking Maemo & WM7 will be the most capable, with Android coming in right behind & then Palm. Then Apple may pull a few rabbits out of their hat. With as much as I love Symbian, it may be dying or relegated to primarily business use.

08-31-09 04:19 PM
    Not really watered down - just nothing earth-shattering, revolutionary or that breaks new ground. If you know BlackBerry 4.X, you will be very familiar with 5.X.
    How could you say such a thing?!?! 5.0+ is going to offer such revolutionary features that have never been seen before like - threaded sms. I mean c'mon - that's unheard of in a "strictly business" world.
    Last edited by tsguy52; 09-01-09 at 12:59 AM.
    09-01-09 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD