Hello all,

Wanted to post my experience with the Skype app. I work for an International Foundation so I occassionally make skype calls out of the U.S. Since the skype application came out, I've made a few calls from my Blackberry, freeing myself from calling from the computer. It worked great.

Well, I just received an extra $45 charge on my bill this month (thank God, not higher) for using the Skype application to call to a NON-SKYPE international phone number. (One a landline and one a cell phone). Verizon "discounted" the rate used. On calling V., they tell me that caling a NON-SKYPE number overseas using the application will incur international calling charges through them (although at a slightly lower rate $1.24???/minute).

I erroneously thought that you would be charged the verizon minutes used, plus data time (unlimited in my case) and Skype would debit your skype account for calling a non-skype number (just like using your computer).

Who else has figured this out? It seems vaguely worded on both the skype site and the verizon site. So I'm not such a fan of the application after all since it really doesn't give me much benefit unless I call skype-to-skype.

I'm back to the computer.

Although I should point out that after making a stink to V., they did erase the charges.
    10-15-10 03:20 PM
  2. T
    Sorry to hear this. Doesn't sound too good at all. I call international (from the US) once in awhile, and Sprint charges me $0.70/min to call a mobile phone in a certain country. It would cost me half that to call from my computer using skype, but so far I haven't found a better deal for calling from a cell phone or from a computer.
    10-15-10 04:07 PM
    So you are making a Skype call FROM the US, TO an international non-Skype number, right? And what part of this is confusing on why they are charging you? You do realize that even calling international from Skype on your computer incurs chargers as well. However, calling FROM an international location using Skype is NOT allowed, because Skype on your phone does not work over data, rather it is a regular phone call to the Skype routing service, which then makes the phone call, rather then doing a true VOIP. With that in mind, obviously if you are oversees making a Skype call from a cell, then you are essentially making a long distance call to the Skype server back here in the US, to make the international call where you want (which is why Skype will not work over Wifi, because it uses a voice service).

As far as charges go, I wouldn't be surprised if they are slightly higher on the cell phone vs the computer when calling to a non-Skype number oversees, as again it is not a VOIP call, rather a regular cell call to a Skype server.
    10-16-10 01:08 AM
    To the OP, you have misunderstood the functionality of the Skype BlackBerry application.

Skype mobile

How am I billed for Skype mobile?
    While there are no monthly subscription fees for Skype mobile, Skype mobile is currently only available on select BlackBerry and Android 3G Smartphones with a data feature starting at $29.99.

You can make and receive unlimited Skype-to-Skype calls and IM's from the U.S.

Calls to U.S. numbers will be carried by Verizon Wireless, not Skype, and charged according to your calling plan.

Calling internationally uses Skype Credit, just like it does on your PC.

See below for more billing information.
    10-16-10 07:45 AM
    Wolf Strong: Yes, I was making a call using the application to an international number. I DID expect to be charged for the call using skype credit but not from Verizon (except for my minutes). And this is because I erroneously thought the call would go through the Verizon network to a US skype server (hence the detraction of the minutes) and then would be routed via VOIP Overseas (data call that would deduct the $$ from my skype credit account).

Obviously I was wrong about this.

Motorcycle mama: The wording you posted is what I find confusing. "Calling internationally uses skype Credit, just like it does on your PC". This statement is incorrect! I was not debited ANY money from my skype credit account while making the calls--Verizon just charged me a discounted International calling rate.

This is where I find the verbage confusing and misleading.

In any rate, I am not trying to get people to jump on me for being an *****. I posted my experience with the skype application here to hopefully keep this from happening to someone else.

However, if everyone else DID understand that they would be charged through Verizon ONLY when making an international call to a non-skype number using the application, then I guess I am an ***** and deserve to be labeled as such.

I will say that making the this type of call through the skype application MAY benefit some people in this forum who wld like to get the discounted VERIZON international rate without paying the normal monthly fee to get this rate. So I will admit that you get SOMETHING for using the application in this manner and some people on this forum will find the convenience of using their Blackberry in this manner outweighs the extra cost vs. placing the call through skype w/skype credit from your computer or iPod touch or whatever.
    10-16-10 12:57 PM
    Just another FYI, this is what I get off of the Skype.com site regarding verizon mobile and skype calls:

How is using Skype on Verizon Wireless different from using it on a computer?
    Skype mobile™ on Verizon Wireless works in a very similar way to Skype on a computer. However, some of the features available on Skype are not currently available on Skype mobile.
    Skype mobile on Verizon Wireless supports:

Skype-to-Skype calls and IMs
    Calls to phones abroad[my emphasis]
    Skype Status
    Skype Voicemail
    Participating in Skype conference calls
    Background mode

There is not mention that the charge rate is different from Verizon vs. from using the computer. The way I read it, it implies it will work the same way as if you call from your computer (with the exception of incurring domestic minute debits).

I have, of course, written a note to skype requesting clarification.

Thanks for your comments.
    10-16-10 01:17 PM
    I am posting again because after a bit of back and forth with skype.com, I figured out why my call did not go through the application but was carried by Verizon. It appears that when you dial out internationally to a non-skype number, you must NOT dial the exit code (of 011) but MUST dial a "+" before the country code etc. Since I did not dial the "+" before the country code, the system didn't recognize it and carried it all the way through Verizon and I got charged for a regular international call.

While I now realized the mistake I made, I still have contentions with skype and Verizon since the application does not inform you that you must dial the "+" or the call will be carried only by Verizon. The alert that comes up only says that domestic calls will not be carried by skype.

Be careful and have fun.
    10-20-10 09:43 PM
    Thanks for the info JL, I'm sure it will help someone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-10 10:34 PM
    I am posting again because after a bit of back and forth with skype.com, I figured out why my call did not go through the application but was carried by Verizon. It appears that when you dial out internationally to a non-skype number, you must NOT dial the exit code (of 011) but MUST dial a "+" before the country code etc. Since I did not dial the "+" before the country code, the system didn't recognize it and carried it all the way through Verizon and I got charged for a regular international call.

While I now realized the mistake I made, I still have contentions with skype and Verizon since the application does not inform you that you must dial the "+" or the call will be carried only by Verizon. The alert that comes up only says that domestic calls will not be carried by skype.

Be careful and have fun.
    I'm bringing this thread back from the dead before I start making some costly mistakes.

I do the 1-year 'all you can eat' anywhere in the world Skype outbound calling package. I typically use it to do all my international calls. My company also is a heavy user of Skype instant messaging. On Verizon, I have unlimited voice & data.

I just downloaded the Verizon Skype application. I let the Skype app see my contacts list just like I let Skype see my Outlook contact list on my PC. From the "Contacts" screen in the Skype app, I see a contact in Vancouver, Canada as "+1(604)xxx-yyyy". My question to somebody who uses this application: Will that cause any charge on the Verizon network?

It sounds like I need to re-do all my overseas contacts in Outlook to remove the "011" but I can otherwise start making free international Skype calls from my Blackberry.

Conjecture on my part about how this is implemented:
    I suspect these Skype voice calls go through the Verizon network as traditional circuit switched voice calls to a Skype media gateway rather than use the Verizon data network. It goes VoIP from there.
    08-21-11 06:25 PM
    i just posted on the apps section.

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...39#post6777239

basically, i got charges of $320. i called Verizon and they said it wasn't there fault - it was Skype's fault. so they said they would give me a 25% credit. after about an hour of arguing, they gave me 50%. now i have to wait for this months bill and do it all over again

i'm extremely pissed off, but theres nothing i can do.
    10-19-11 10:04 PM
    I use Skype Mobile with some frequency, and all my numbers, US and otherwise, are in my phone book as +1 212 555-1234, +44 1 1234 5678, etc., and to the best of my knowledge, I've never been charged by Verizon for any of these calls. Using + instead of 011 makes sense, as you could be on a non-US network that wouldn't recognize the 011 command, whereas it will always understand +.
    10-22-11 12:27 AM
    The Skype app from Verizon is crippled.
    Even android users must go to the Market and download a non-VErizon version for things to work over a data connection. I don't know if that works for BB.
    10-22-11 10:45 PM
    The Skype app from Verizon is crippled.
    Even android users must go to the Market and download a non-VErizon version for things to work over a data connection. I don't know if that works for BB.
    It's not crippled, it's designed to work differently. Following your logic, the official version is crippled too.
    10-26-11 02:27 PM
    I use Skype Mobile with some frequency, and all my numbers, US and otherwise, are in my phone book as +1 212 555-1234, +44 1 1234 5678, etc., and to the best of my knowledge, I've never been charged by Verizon for any of these calls. Using + instead of 011 makes sense, as you could be on a non-US network that wouldn't recognize the 011 command, whereas it will always understand +.
    yes, but what doesn't make sense, is that when you actually make the calls in your Skype app - it still charges you on Verizon. whether i used the '+' or not, when I dial the same numbers on my computer there is no charge...but when I use my Skype app on my phone, and dial the same exact number, it charges me. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. i was cheated a lot of money because of this. they would not reimburse me and both Verizon and Skype blamed it on each other. $320 knocked down to $293.
    11-01-11 04:17 PM
    yes, but what doesn't make sense, is that when you actually make the calls in your Skype app - it still charges you on Verizon. whether i used the '+' or not, when I dial the same numbers on my computer there is no charge...but when I use my Skype app on my phone, and dial the same exact number, it charges me. it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. i was cheated a lot of money because of this. they would not reimburse me and both Verizon and Skype blamed it on each other. $320 knocked down to $293.
    I've never dialed 011 on skype before, so I don't have frame of reference on that, though it would seem it's some quirk of how the calls are tallied.

I agree, they should give you your money back. Was your skype account charged for those minutes, too? It would seem that, if your skype account was being billed for the minutes, that it would show that they were processing the call, instead of your standard Verizon international plan.
    11-01-11 11:50 PM

Be careful and have fun.
    I used the + sign and no 011 and was billed by Verizon for a Skype Mobile call to Spain. Apparently, they are still full of BS.
    12-28-11 05:53 PM
    Although the app's calling feature is designed poorly, you're not using it correctly. While the computer version of skype is able to call manually entered numbers at the skype rates, the mobile app cannot, and will use the Verizon minutes to make the call. The only way to do it using the mobile app is to add the number as a contact, and then restart the skype app. Once you see it listed as a contact in your list, you can then use the mobile skype app to call that number, and it will use the proper charge tables. Subsequently, you'll see "Skype Call" on your calling screen if it is going through skype, and if it does not, it is using Verizon's network.

I tested this with the Storm, Storm 2, and with my current Torch 9850, calling to Brazil (where I live now... love that CDMA/GSM network feature). Called both landlines and mobile lines. Add whatever number you want to call as a contact (can be done from the mobile app), and your problem is solved.

Hope this helps.
    01-17-12 08:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD