Hi Everyone,

Just wondering...so currently I have a BB Pearl with Verizon through my mom's family plan. However, now that the Tour is coming next week, I want to get my own account (bc I get a discount through my company & bc I graduated in May and I don't need/want my mom to pay my bill anymore) but still retain my number. Is this doable or would they charge me a bunch of extra fees just to get my phone number?

Thanks!
    07-10-09 12:41 PM
    You & your mom both need to call VZW & ask to split the line off of the account. They will process an Assumption of Liability & fix you right up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-10-09 12:43 PM
    Thanks, would they still charge an early termination fee?
    07-10-09 12:46 PM
    No - no fees involved.

07-10-09 12:48 PM
    No early term fees. They will run a credit on you and the results of this might generate a deposit. This money is set aside and does earn a small amount of intrest - after 1 year it would then be applied to your account as long as you payment history is good.. Unless policy changed, this is how I understand it to work.
    07-10-09 12:50 PM
    Nice, thank you!!!
    07-10-09 12:50 PM
    A little more detail.

Mom calls & authorizes the order. Rep notes account.

You call & set up new service.

You & mom can be on the line together & save a call or some reps will call your mom for authorization.

Refundable security deposit may be required - if it is & you don't want to pay it, they can put you as a sub-account under mom & send you a separate bill. Remember that if you go the sub-account route, failure to pay means they will call mom.

One year contract will be put on the new line - somewhat moot because as soon as you grab a new phone, it becomes a two-year. Some might say to upgrade first, then split the accoiunt - that is up to you.

07-10-09 01:03 PM
    A little more detail.

Mom calls & authorizes the order. Rep notes account.

You call & set up new service.

You & mom can be on the line together & save a call or some reps will call your mom for authorization.

Refundable security deposit may be required - if it is & you don't want to pay it, they can put you as a sub-account under mom & send you a separate bill. Remember that if you go the sub-account route, failure to pay means they will call mom.

One year contract will be put on the new line - somewhat moot because as soon as you grab a new phone, it becomes a two-year. Some might say to upgrade first, then split the accoiunt - that is up to you.

Wow. Thanks for all the detail.
    07-10-09 02:24 PM
    Also, don't forget that the first bill under the new name will be pro-rated til the end of the bill cycle and then billed one month in advance which means the first bill for the new account will be larger than normal.
    07-14-09 07:52 AM
    Everyone here is correct. Just because you are doing an Assumption of Liability, does not mean you get a new device. Your mother is essentially releasing the liability of paying for that line, and you are accepting the responsibility. Nothing more, nothing less. Now if your line is eligible for an upgrade, that is a different story. You have the option of upgrading before or after the AOL. If not, then your only two options after the AOL is to either buy the Tour at full retail price, or add a 9.99 share-line to get the 2 year pricing.

Hope that cleared up any confusion that might still be present.
    07-14-09 08:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD