Hi, all~

I'm new to Verizon (went with the Storm) and am wondering if it's possible to change what the caller hears when they're leaving a voice mail.

And I don't mean the personal greeting, I mean the "at the tone, please record your voice message, or press 1 for more options - to leave a callback number, press 5" stuff...

As far as I am concerned, that's no longer new information and I'd rather not subject my callers to it.

...so, is there any way to turn that off?

Thanks in advance,

- Nathan
    12-11-08 07:05 PM
    Nathan, I've had Verizon for years. If you find a way to turn that annoying sh*t off you make sure you post it. Until then, here's what I do. On my phone, when it kicks to vm you hear my greeting with ME saying - "hello this is so and so, to leave a message press star" star takes you right to the BEEP on verizon. I do this out of courtesy. On nextel/sprint its pound on straight older nextel its the number 1. I'll be honest with you, if I call someones cell and they don't answer but it rings a bunch a times, I never leave a message if I don't know their carrier shortcut.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 09:18 PM
    Upon revisiting this post, I realized I've memorized this horrifyingly long and obnoxious compilation of redundancy: "at the tone, please record your message ause: when you are finished recording you may hang up OR press one for more options :f-ing pause: to leave a callback number, press five now.
    I just can't believe that in this day and age this is tolerated. It is the single most annoying thing about communicating by cellular phone.
    Even worse is when you don't record a personal greeting. That monotone voice announces verrry slowwwwly Its like a friggin short story these imbeciles recite!
    First, you waste 30 seconds connecting and ringing away. Then comes
    You have reached two zero one, nine seven seven, seven seven seven nine. At the tone, please record your message ause: when you are finished recording you may hang up OR press one for more options ause: to leave a callback number, press five now.
    That's another 30-35 second diatribe. Plus your recording. This is probably done purposely to get you over one minute on as many calls as possible.

12-11-08 10:45 PM
    All the more reason why unless its uber important, I don't leave. Vm's and just allow the missed call notification to suffice.

12-12-08 01:25 AM
    My previous carrier was Sprint. There, if you dug in to the voice mail options, you could eventually find a spot where you could turn off that automated prompt at the end of your personal greeting.

It was a really nice feature, and everyone I told about it immediately hopped in to their account and disabled it.

So after I did some digging on Verizon's voicemail system and couldn't find it, I thought I'd fire off a post in the hopes that maybe it was hiding somewhere I missed...

It's rather disappointing to find that nope, I didn't miss anything, they just don't have that option. Seems like it would be a pretty straightforward - and greatly appreciated - feature to add.

- Nathan
    12-12-08 11:14 AM
    I would also like to know if this is possible. I agree with earlier posters that nowadays not having an option for something like this is pretty ridiculous.
    12-12-08 08:36 PM
    I actually called Verizon cust service on this one. Lady said even the employees are annoyed with it, and there is no way to disable it. She let me file a complaint and said if enough people complained loudly to CS, then maybe Verizon would give us an option to disable it.
    12-13-08 11:51 AM
    That is funny because I know how annoying that is. Maybe eventually it will happen
    12-13-08 07:00 PM
    With a verizon phone u can press * to bypass the personal greeting and the verizon blah blah and go straight to the beep. Would love to know how to get thw verizon blah odd my VM too.

12-13-08 07:43 PM
    Turn off your voicemail, and just use the "missed call" feature?

Just a suggestion
    12-13-08 10:58 PM
    Turn off your voicemail, and just use the "missed call" feature?

Just a suggestion
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but that wouldn't work if the phone was off, or you were in an area with no coverage.
    12-14-08 12:38 AM
    I hate the automated prompts on voicemail messages. I do not understand for the life of me why they are there and why they can not be removed in some systems. It's just plain annoying.

AT&T and Sprint allow for complete removal of any and all automated prompts.

Verizon and Tmobile do not.
    12-14-08 12:50 AM
    With verizon any button except for # works. I usually go with 0 because it works for a lot of carriers. Sometimes * or # or 1 prompts for the password.

12-15-08 07:55 PM
    The longer you have to hang on the line listing to bla bla bla then beep makes VZW money. They will never change.

I just wish VZW would charge me $5.00 per month for the phone they are letting me use instead of me paying (fill in your cost) to use the phone I own in the way THEY want.

Happy with the coverage and thats about it.
    12-16-08 12:08 PM
    Admin options -OR- thru the VZW site (after login).

I have not subjected my callers to the prompts in years.

VZW, BB Curve, both business & personal service.

12-16-08 12:54 PM

Could you be a little more specific on the website or through admin options. Don't have a clue where admin options and don't see this on the site

12-31-08 12:01 PM

TwinsX2Dad,

I'd like to second the request for additional information - if you were able to disable the voicemail prompts a person hears when leaving a message, I'd love to know how you did it.

Thanks,

- Nathan
    01-08-09 04:24 PM
    I may be wrong - but if you go into personal options in you voice mail - the one you get when you call your number and want to change your settings. If you choose the Administrative Option you have an option, #3 I think, where you can change the length of you prompt, short or long.

I think going with short eliminates some the excess verbage the caller hears.
    01-09-09 10:04 AM
    I may be wrong - but if you go into personal options in you voice mail - the one you get when you call your number and want to change your settings. If you choose the Administrative Option you have an option, #3 I think, where you can change the length of you prompt, short or long.

I think going with short eliminates some the excess verbage the caller hears.
    It depends on which VM system your number is in...I think there are at least 2 different systems...similar, but different. I printed out the VM command map (I'm in Virginia) and there is no way to shorten the greeting, at least from what I can see and from what I have tried.
    01-09-09 10:28 AM
    For my greeeting I use the vz one where you just say your name... my callers now only hear the standard " you're call has been forwarded to a vms system, the person u called (me) is not avail please lm @ tone or press 1 for more options" - nothing else after it, no press something else for this and this for that... just the tone.

I had to go into personal options and then administrative options and change some things - go into it & listen to the promps to make changes. I am in MA.
    There is no shorten the greeting on mine either.
    01-09-09 10:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD