Good morning,

I called Verizon this morning attempting to get them to change what my caller ID text tag reads when calling a landline. The rep that I spoke to claims that they are unable to change this.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I have talked to other wireless users (although I don't know if they are Verizon or not) that have changed their text tag, so I am slightly confused.

Any help is appreciated!
    11-28-09 08:22 AM
    Caller ID for landlines are controlled by the landline side, NOT the cell side. VZW cannot change this, only the landline side.
    11-28-09 08:54 AM
    Good morning,

I called Verizon this morning attempting to get them to change what my caller ID text tag reads when calling a landline. The rep that I spoke to claims that they are unable to change this.

Has anyone ever heard of this? I have talked to other wireless users (although I don't know if they are Verizon or not) that have changed their text tag, so I am slightly confused.

Any help is appreciated!
    If your talking about when YOU call a landline from your MOBILE phone, yes it can be changed. Just make sure you are clear when asking, that you want your cellphone caller ID to have your name when you call other people.
    11-28-09 10:35 AM
    If your talking about when YOU call a landline from your MOBILE phone, yes it can be changed. Just make sure you are clear when asking, that you want your cellphone caller ID to have your name when you call other people.
    So, are you saying that VZW can change this info? If so how? VZW does not transmit this info to anyone.
    11-28-09 10:59 AM
    So, are you saying that VZW can change this info? If so how? VZW does not transmit this info to anyone.
    Yes, what ever name is in the MDN level is what shows on the caller ID. So when you go to the address change screen, select the MDN radio button and you can enter the name there. It can be under AH Bob stevens and the MDN can be under Tony Stevens.
    11-28-09 11:17 AM
    Hmm, interesting, I will have to look into this further.
    11-28-09 11:24 AM
    Hmm, interesting, I will have to look into this further.
    If you're from ol school WDTS, you may have never had this request. I rarely had it in Tech, but thats what they showed me in Care Transition. So lemme know what you find out.
    11-28-09 11:34 AM
    To my understanding Verizon isn't supporting this anymore. I'm under the impression that when you call a landline, your number will come up as "Wireless Subscriber," or some other similar generic ID...
    11-28-09 01:28 PM
    Yes, what ever name is in the MDN level is what shows on the caller ID. So when you go to the address change screen, select the MDN radio button and you can enter the name there. It can be under AH Bob stevens and the MDN can be under Tony Stevens.
    So what youre saying is that I would change it from XXX-XXX-XXXX to Joe Smith for example? Wouldnt that mess with my programming at all?

You use ##000000 to get into it correct?
    11-28-09 02:01 PM
    So what youre saying is that I would change it from XXX-XXX-XXXX to Joe Smith for example? Wouldnt that mess with my programming at all?

You use ##000000 to get into it correct?
    No, if this is to be done at all it would though the VZW billing system, not the phone
    11-28-09 02:03 PM
    Gotcha, hence the confusion then. Thanks!
    11-28-09 02:05 PM
    To my understanding Verizon isn't supporting this anymore. I'm under the impression that when you call a landline, your number will come up as "Wireless Subscriber," or some other similar generic ID...
    I think you're right. My ID shows the number and City/State that the NPA/NXX comes from.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 02:46 PM
    I know that Alltel used to support the subscriber's name appearing on landline caller ID's, but I know as of July its not supported anymore...
    11-28-09 03:23 PM
    Yeah Alltel used Targus and Verisign to change the CNAM information. Those companies handled process. With Alltel we could change it to whatever name you wanted it to say.

Just like ROC said - we aren't able to support that anymore. Unless of course there is some other name showing.
    11-28-09 04:29 PM
    Mine just says "Oregon Caller" or whatever state the caller's area code is from.
    Last edited by cenloe; 11-28-09 at 05:55 PM.
    11-28-09 05:53 PM
    Which is pretty typical. Occassionally some people will change their number, or get a new number, and the caller ID will be some completely random person's name, usually the previous owner of that number...
    11-28-09 07:07 PM
    This doesn't change anything about caller ID. All this changes is the name associated with the number on the bill.
    11-28-09 08:14 PM
    This doesn't change anything about caller ID. All this changes is the name associated with the number on the bill.
    Thank you, I was second guessing myself. VZW does not transmit names of customers to anyone land or cell.
    11-28-09 08:29 PM
    It's been a while since I've done this, so does it no longer show the name? Ahh nevermind, I'll find out at work.
    11-28-09 11:02 PM
    Doesn't work.

11-28-09 11:32 PM
    No longer an option...
    11-29-09 12:54 AM
    Thank you everyone for your input

the fact they used to change this and now cannot makes sense from what I was seeing. Kinda odd why they stopped doing it but can't control that. Again thank you

11-29-09 03:52 AM
    Thank you everyone for your input

the fact they used to change this and now cannot makes sense from what I was seeing. Kinda odd why they stopped doing it but can't control that. Again thank you

It has been like this for at least 5 years. Not sure if or when it was available before that.

11-29-09 11:57 PM
    This was around 7 years ago when I observed this. This was about the same time when VZW could change the amount of time your device would ring before going to VM. That also went out the window

It has been like this for at least 5 years. Not sure if or when it was available before that.

Last edited by USSZulu; 11-30-09 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Wording Clarification
    11-30-09 12:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD