06-21-09 01:43 PM
26 12
tools
    A friend told me that if I noticed any changes with my Verizon bill that I wasn't told about ahead of time, that I could legally get out of my contract and not pay a ETF. Anyone heard of this being true?

If so, does it also apply with the actual monthly charge? Ever since I signed up with Verizon (November 08) after taxes and everything else, I've been paying $92 and change. However there was one billing cycle where the amount went to $93 and change.

Would this be something I could tell a rep in the store or over the phone and use it as say a bargaining chip to upgrade to a new phone (specifically the BB Tour) and not have to pay the full retail?
    06-17-09 09:49 AM
    06-17-09 09:50 AM
    Here we go again. Read the entire Verizon Terms and Conditions, you were provided a copy of them when you signed up. If you cant find them, they are available on New Cell Phones, CPO Cell Phones, Prepaid Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless
    06-17-09 09:54 AM
    Yeah, even though legally you would think you would be able to get out of the contract, VZW reserves the right to change the terms of the contract... sucks
    06-17-09 10:10 AM
    sucks? No, that is how it works. This isnt some contractual conspiracy that Verizon came up with. People need to learn to "play by the rules" so to speak. No business would be successful if they didnt have some kind of business structure.
    06-17-09 10:29 AM
    Woah.. no no, I'm completely agreeing with you. Because they state that they can change the rates as long as notice is given, I can't fault them at all. I was just saying that we would all love it if we could simply get out of a contract so easily...
    06-17-09 10:33 AM
    No contracted services have seen price changes, therefore that release clause is not invoked.

Search is your friend - this subject is brought up many times per month, all with the same results & responses.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-09 01:17 PM
    We are talking cents!?! Sheesh, probably your local city raised the tax. go cancel them. unreal.
    Last edited by lastraid; 06-17-09 at 05:27 PM.
    06-17-09 05:11 PM
    You have to be kidding right?
    06-17-09 05:18 PM
    A friend told me that if I noticed any changes with my Verizon bill that I wasn't told about ahead of time, that I could legally get out of my contract and not pay a ETF. Anyone heard of this being true?

If so, does it also apply with the actual monthly charge? Ever since I signed up with Verizon (November 08) after taxes and everything else, I've been paying $92 and change. However there was one billing cycle where the amount went to $93 and change.

Would this be something I could tell a rep in the store or over the phone and use it as say a bargaining chip to upgrade to a new phone (specifically the BB Tour) and not have to pay the full retail?

You're seriously going to try to get out of your contract or not have to pay full retail over a dollar? That's a joke and a waste of everyone's time. You have no "bargaining chip".
    06-18-09 09:54 AM
    You're seriously going to try to get out of your contract or not have to pay full retail over a dollar? That's a joke and a waste of everyone's time. You have no "bargaining chip".

actually I believe your statement is in correct..

when to partys sign a contract both party's have to follow the contract or the contract is broken..

take the document to a lawyer a change in a penny.. can get you out..
    if you truly want to leave
    06-18-09 05:18 PM
    what was the extra buck for? it only works if its something they did WITHOUT notifying you.....cant believe you would try this over a dollar but whatever
    06-18-09 05:21 PM

when to partys sign a contract both party's have to follow the contract or the contract is broken..

that all depends on what the penny was for.
    06-18-09 05:22 PM

Taxes, administrative fees & optional services are not part of the contract. The ONLY portion of your service that is under contract is the base voice plan. You are under contract to maintain a minimum level of voice service and to pay the taxes, fees.

As I have said before, text messaging can hit $5 each and you have no case - unless the price & requirement to maintain was written into the contract. VZNav can hit $100 and only cover 6 states & you're up a creek, as VZNav is not a contracted item.

Before some of you open your mouths, you need to read the contract you signed. In some states, a carrier can even modify your voice pricing and you'd still be under contract, unless you can prove it materially affects you and your use of the contracted portion of the service.

My legal guys have already looked over all contracts we have in a risk/loss management portfolio. If some of you think you're smarter than my legal advisors and VZW's legal team...

If you all haven't noticed, when one carrier's taxes & fees change, the others follow in lockstep. So what would you gain by switching?

If I were in charge, I would decree that anyone who breaks their agreement would be forbidden from returning for 5 years.

06-18-09 07:18 PM

Unless the dollar change resulted in something VZW provides, he has nothing. I see this everyday. People's bills fluctuate and it's almost always some tax or gov't fee related thing. If it's not that, it's a ringback tone, ringtone or megabyte usage. Or he called 411. That's $1.49 a pop. Without seeing the bill, none of us will know but it's highly unlikely that something on his plan changed.
    06-18-09 07:38 PM
    Once again, Twins has provided correct and critically valuable information.

You won't get out of your contract sans ETF unless it's a contracted item (your price plan) that was changed. And in a lot of places, it has to be materially adverse. A dollar ain't going to cut it.

It's people that try to pull stuff like this that raise costs for everyone else. Let me be the first to thank you from the bottom of my heart.

06-18-09 07:50 PM
    Let me be the first to thank you from the bottom of my heart.
    Anytime.

To clarify further, if your 700 minute plan was cut to 500 minutes, you would have a case.

If your 500 text messaging package was cut to 300, you would not have a case.

If your 450 minute plan were raised to $54.99, you'd have a case.

If 411 charges were raised to $5 each, you would not have a case.

The admin fees are variable, so if they change, you have no case.

Local, state & federal taxes are not under the control of any carrier, so if they change, you have no case.

If your BlackBerry data plan were to double in price, you'd not have a case.

These things apply to ALL carriers, not just VZW. So quit trying to cheat the system & hold to the contract YOU agreed to. No carrier allows their sales staff to hold a gun to your head, mortgage your first-born, take your virginity or spank your tail to get you to sign that agreement. And remember - I am here to preach reality, no matter what you think or want. I am not here to pacify you or to lie to you or to help you screw the carriers & run up the prices we pay, as consumers.

06-18-09 08:06 PM
    Taxes, administrative fees & optional services are not part of the contract. The ONLY portion of your service that is under contract is the base voice plan. You are under contract to maintain a minimum level of voice service and to pay the taxes, fees.

As I have said before, text messaging can hit $5 each and you have no case - unless the price & requirement to maintain was written into the contract. VZNav can hit $100 and only cover 6 states & you're up a creek, as VZNav is not a contracted item.

Before some of you open your mouths, you need to read the contract you signed. In some states, a carrier can even modify your voice pricing and you'd still be under contract, unless you can prove it materially affects you and your use of the contracted portion of the service.

My legal guys have already looked over all contracts we have in a risk/loss management portfolio. If some of you think you're smarter than my legal advisors and VZW's legal team...

If you all haven't noticed, when one carrier's taxes & fees change, the others follow in lockstep. So what would you gain by switching?

If I were in charge, I would decree that anyone who breaks their agreement would be forbidden from returning for 5 years.

watch this video...

Gizmodo - How to Get Out of a Cell Contract Without Paying an ETF in Many Not-So-Easy Steps - Verizon

i still stand by what i said..

I don't think its cheating the system at all..

there shouldn't be contracts for cell phones at all especially with etf fees..

don't worry it will get ruled eventually that there will be no contracts.. I believe its already moving to that way California.
    Last edited by noaim; 06-18-09 at 10:53 PM.
    06-18-09 10:44 PM
    watch this video...

Gizmodo - How to Get Out of a Cell Contract Without Paying an ETF in Many Not-So-Easy Steps - Verizon

don't worry it will get ruled eventually that there will be no contracts.. I believe its already moving to that way California.
    That Gizmodo piece is so full of holes, it resembles Swiss cheese.

You can go without a contract now. Just be ready to pony up $600 for your Tour, your Pre, your Omnia. If they were to make contracts & ETFs illegal, that is exactly what you will do.

If that is what floats your short-sighted boat, fine. Scan your receipt & show us that you paid full price for your next phone.

It would effectively kill off personal ownership of smartphones.

06-19-09 12:16 AM
    Gizmodo is for losers who don't know better.

Spoken like someone who has no clue as to how cell phone pricing works. Take away the contracts and phone rates increase. Take away the contracts and the subsidized phone prices go up.

Take a look at the no-contract prices:

Unlocked smartphones

Unlocked and the manufacturers have nothing and the prices go up. Take away all subsidies and they really go up.

You really do ride the short-bus, don't you?

Last edited by DesertDogs; 06-19-09 at 08:36 AM.
    06-19-09 08:33 AM
    OP downloaded a RBT and didn't get fast the first page of the bill and freaked out over the total bill balance increase....ROFL!
    06-19-09 03:02 PM
    OP downloaded a RBT and didn't get fast the first page of the bill and freaked out over the total bill balance increase....ROFL!
    Heh - I can see that happening!

My bill changed! I want out of my contract!

06-19-09 03:26 PM
    Exactly.. Who here wants to pay $700 for a Tour? Raise of hands, please..

And people ***** about having to pay $199.99 or whatever it's going to end up being.

Who wants to pay $300+ for an LG VX5500?
    06-20-09 10:16 PM
    People never seem to understand that the little electronic device they're holding in their hand isn't a cracker jack toy that the carriers get 3 for a dollar. They are sophisticated electronics with processors and cellular antennas capable of rediculous range and reception based on a complicated multi-billion dollar network of equipment supporting them.

No cellular phone company makes a profit off selling the equipment. We're not in the equipment sales industry, we're in the cellular service industry, and unfortunately for some people in this thread it does remain a for profit industry.
    06-21-09 12:59 PM
    People never seem to understand that the little electronic device they're holding in their hand isn't a cracker jack toy that the carriers get 3 for a dollar. They are sophisticated electronics with processors and cellular antennas capable of rediculous range and reception based on a complicated multi-billion dollar network of equipment supporting them.

No cellular phone company makes a profit off selling the equipment. We're not in the equipment sales industry, we're in the cellular service industry, and unfortunately for some people in this thread it does remain a for profit industry.
    Here is 1 way i explained it to an obnoxious customer one time and actually got a point across.

cust: Why the **** would i pay 150 for a cell phone when im renewing my contract?! It should be free. Phones dont cost that much money.
    me: How much did you pay for that 40gig Ipod in your pocket if you dont mind me asking?
    cust: um...like 300 dollars or something (slightly confused as of to why i asked that)
    me: Ok, well this phone (Voyager i think at the time) does all the same stuff your ipod does plus you get access to the internet, you can text message record a video, get your email and make all the calls you want and its half the price of your Ipod.

He didnt have much to say after that.
    06-21-09 01:26 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD