So I have the Tour, and I'm getting absolutely frustrated with the trackball. I'm willing to buy a Droid, but I don't want to pay full retail. My annual contract date is July 12th, so I can't get it at the subsidized price until then. Does anyone know if phone sales or someone in the store would be able to move forward my contract date so I could get the phone now at the subsidized price? I'm not asking for a multi-FRU or anything, and I'm willing to pay the 2-year price ($199 I believe). I just am so sick of this Tour and the trackball.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    04-09-10 09:17 AM
    Just call customer service and let them know your issue and ask politely. I did and they moved my date up and let me purchase for the 2yr price. Worth a try
    04-09-10 09:44 AM
    Customer service is really your only option if they do it at all. No one in a store will make that exception.
    04-09-10 10:14 AM
    Just called Verizon... got a rep that didn't seem like she wanted to help at all. Said that I had to have my Tour in my possession for a year before they could do anything, and that they "can't even move ahead 3 days" otherwise. I think she was not really understanding what I meant... I wasn't asking for the NE2 price, just the annual contract price... which I tried to make clear to her a number of times but I don't think she got it.

I'm going to call again later and try with another rep. Hopefully the next one will work out.
    04-09-10 10:34 AM
    Definitely try it with CS, cause the people in the stores seems like they don't wanna do nothing for the customers. Thats why I do all my upgrades online or over the phone.
    04-09-10 10:36 AM
    Just called Verizon... got a rep that didn't seem like she wanted to help at all. Said that I had to have my Tour in my possession for a year before they could do anything, and that they "can't even move ahead 3 days" otherwise. I think she was not really understanding what I meant... I wasn't asking for the NE2 price, just the annual contract price... which I tried to make clear to her a number of times but I don't think she got it.

I'm going to call again later and try with another rep. Hopefully the next one will work out.
    Oh yea call back and get someone else who will understand.
    04-09-10 10:38 AM

Oh yea call back and get someone else who will understand.
    Well considering your account gets notated everytime you call in........ Becoming a "problem customer" that calls the call center 3 times a day isnt going to get you anywhere.
    04-09-10 10:41 AM
    Well considering your account gets notated everytime you call in........ Becoming a "problem customer" that calls the call center 3 times a day isnt going to get you anywhere.
    I guess... but I'm just asking Verizon to LET ME GIVE THEM MONEY, hahaha... that's some kind of "problem customer"!

Called again, and got a different rep who was more willing to help but unfortunately said they can't move the annual upgrades at all anymore (only the NE2 ones can be advanced), and neither can a supervisor. Looks like I'll have to wait until July to get one... oh well.
    Last edited by slinky317; 04-09-10 at 11:04 AM.
    04-09-10 10:44 AM
    How does NE2 work? My wife is due for an upgrade (not NE2) now and she said I could get a new fone. My NE2 is in Feb of next year. You're saying I could get that moved up? What's the difference? The Droid has an upgrade price of $200, and the S2 is $100. What is the NE2 price of those fones?
    04-09-10 11:26 AM
    How does NE2 work? My wife is due for an upgrade (not NE2) now and she said I could get a new fone. My NE2 is in Feb of next year. You're saying I could get that moved up? What's the difference? The Droid has an upgrade price of $200, and the S2 is $100. What is the NE2 price of those fones?
    The NE2 used to be a lot better than it is now. There are two types of upgrades - an annual upgrade, which you get the phone at the 2-year price, and a New Every Two upgrade, where you get the phone at the 2-year price plus another discount. It used to be an extra $50 or $100 off, but now it's only $25 or $50. Still, it's better than nothing. If you have a good payment history and you're polite on the phone, they should be able to move your NE2 date up a month or so. Apparently they cannot move the annual upgrade date at all.
    04-09-10 11:29 AM
    An annual upgrade does require 12 months exactly and a price plan of $44.99 or higher I think to be eligible. If those requirements are not met then no annual upgrade. That is set by the billing system and cannot be changed. And also upgrade dates through customer care cannot be changed unless it is incorrect. If it hasn't been 20 months since your last upgrade then your not eligible for a standard upgrade either.

00smurf
    04-09-10 11:55 AM
    Thanks 00smurf. So I got my Tour on July 12, 2009 - so on July 12, 2010 I can walk into a store and get a Droid at the 2-year price, correct? My price plan meets the minimum requirements.
    04-09-10 12:02 PM
    Thanks 00smurf. So I got my Tour on July 12, 2009 - so on July 12, 2010 I can walk into a store and get a Droid at the 2-year price, correct? My price plan meets the minimum requirements.
    I would say yes, but to be sure on July 12, call customer care and have them check your account before going into the store. At least that way you save a trip to the store if it isn't there. And no problem, just wanted to get the answer out there.

00smurf
    04-09-10 12:11 PM
    Was this policy in effect for a while? Someone on the AndroidCentral forums mentioned they were able to move their annual upgrade five months forward. Maybe they had an upgrade open that CS just didn't tell them about (and played the "Yeah, we can upgrade you, no problem!") but I was just curious.
    04-09-10 12:13 PM
    Sell your Tour and buy a Droid off ebay/craigslist. Or do a trade with someone.
    04-09-10 12:20 PM
    I'd like to get brand new phone if possible. I can wait till July, I'm just eager now.
    04-09-10 12:23 PM
    They can escalate the call and have those dates changed. I had issues with a Storm 1 (I bought from Ebay-my original curve was from Verizon) and I only called to get a annual price but they checked our records and moved our date up to a year then on another call gave me the Storm 2 at discounted 2yr price for 1 yr contract. Long story short they can change it but it depends a lot on your account history and who you get routed to. I didn't attempt to get anything for free or get over just called for better options and they gave us a deal. On another note I know friends that had issues every time they call and they have good history as well and are not rude either.

I'm the 2ndary on the account and my wife is the primary so the "only the primary" talk doesn't apply either
    04-09-10 12:33 PM
    Was this policy in effect for a while? Someone on the AndroidCentral forums mentioned they were able to move their annual upgrade five months forward. Maybe they had an upgrade open that CS just didn't tell them about (and played the "Yeah, we can upgrade you, no problem!") but I was just curious.
    That has always been the policy, they may of had a manager exception done due to exceptional reasons to get thier standard upgrade done early, or possibly used an alternate line upgrade to get one that early. There is no way an annualy upgrade could be processed just 7 months after the last upgrade. But since I don't know that exact situation I cannot say what occured there.

00smurf
    04-09-10 08:14 PM
    Upgrades won't be moved. Full retail right now. Best option would do a certified like new replacement then get the phone you want on your your annual upgrade date.
    04-10-10 12:42 AM
    Hmm...I just upgraded to a Blackberry Curve 8530 and paid the 2 yr price.But then I upgraded from an EnV3..they sent me a promotion card in the mail this week about this promo that runs through April 30th. I have been with Verizon since 2/09 an got the EnV3 in May 09.
    04-10-10 01:19 PM
    Please please please....if you do this, check the ESN with us first!
    04-11-10 03:06 PM
    Hmm...I just upgraded to a Blackberry Curve 8530 and paid the 2 yr price.But then I upgraded from an EnV3..they sent me a promotion card in the mail this week about this promo that runs through April 30th. I have been with Verizon since 2/09 an got the EnV3 in May 09.
    That may be because there was a recent promotion to get people to upgrade to smartphones, even if they were not eligible for an upgrade. It only went out to certain customers.
    04-11-10 03:40 PM
    Go into your Verizon store and ask.
    I had an upgrade in September, and they let me get my Droid; this happened yesterday.
    But it cost $20 for an Early Upgrade.
    04-11-10 03:45 PM
    And just an addition to this, the tier to be eligible for an annual upgrade is $49.99, not the $44.99 I had posted earlier. Like I said I wasn't quite sure on the amount and wanted to get the correct information out here.

00smurf
    04-16-10 08:09 AM
    A few years ago when I had a Razr phone that got dropped and broke, I called Verizon about moving up my upgrade date. They absolutely refused. I called and got 3 different reps, and they all said the same thing.

So, I just bought a gently used one from ebay for a great price, and I even was able to sell my broken one (it was disclosed as broken) to help cover the cost! It was a great deal.

Anyhoo, when I called VZW to activate the phone, the rep then all of a sudden realized a way that I could have gotten a new phone without paying the "retail" price (funny when they think they can "get" you there is no way it can be done.) She said that if I had switched calling plans or added a service that was at least $5 more a month, I would have been eligible for the upgrade at the discounted price.

An option to consider. You might want to call them and ask about it to see if they still do this, as this was a few years ago.
    04-16-10 09:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD