So blackberry is practically dead on verizon. My storm 9550 is quickly becoming obsolete. And after watching the powerhouses in action (moto droid bionic, htc thunderbolt & the unnamed samsung 4G (all with front facing cams.. 1gb processors and mini HDMI) its looking like android is the way to go.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-11 11:42 PM
    I'm liking that PlayBook a lot!! Really, how many people really thought there would be an iPhone announcement? The iPhone blog is pulling at straws even...

I'm a huge Storm fan, had a 9530 and 9550, but my demands on it were getting too much and yes, I went back to a qwerty, I think we'll see one later this year (I hope). Frankly, I'm not even moved by all the android hype...what I do like are those LTE mifi units...Asus' Win7 tablet is pretty sharp...

I had no expectations for this event, and about the only thing that had me scratching my head was the announcement of a WiMAX PlayBook for Sprint, with nary a mention of what other carriers may be picking up or offering...
    01-07-11 12:04 AM
    I'd gotten to the point where I was accepting switching over to an Android device because I'm tired of waiting for a new BB that I like. I waited for what seemed like forever for CES and new phone announcements.

I'm still looking but haven't seen a single new phone with a slide-out physical keyboard for Verizon. I can't get excited about any of the new phones I've seen so far. Heck, I may as well just hang onto my Storm 1.
    01-07-11 02:44 AM
    So blackberry is practically dead on verizon. My storm 9550 is quickly becoming obsolete. And after watching the powerhouses in action (moto droid bionic, htc thunderbolt & the unnamed samsung 4G (all with front facing cams.. 1gb processors and mini HDMI) its looking like android is the way to go.

Wake up. Your 9550 has been obsolete for quite some time now.
    01-07-11 04:30 AM
    I'd gotten to the point where I was accepting switching over to an Android device because I'm tired of waiting for a new BB that I like. I waited for what seemed like forever for CES and new phone announcements.

I'm still looking but haven't seen a single new phone with a slide-out physical keyboard for Verizon. I can't get excited about any of the new phones I've seen so far. Heck, I may as well just hang onto my Storm 1.
    I wish I could hang onto my Storm as long as you, but I just can't. I'm starting to use my Storm more than my laptop at home because I'm on the computer all day at work and by the time I get home, I just don't feel like getting on the computer to look something up.

The problem though is that with my Storm there are a lot of sites that don't render like I would like because they have flash or video. So I may still have to wait until March, but I think I'm going for the Bionic. It'll be hard to go back to a normal touch screen, but I'll get used to it.
    01-07-11 09:01 AM
    If there's going to be an iPhone on VZW its not going to be announced at CES. Apple doesn't do CES. Also, RIM is all about the Playbook right now, so they are focusing on that at CES, but I think they probably have some new phones coming in the next 3-6 months. Who knows what they will ne though...

Personally, I'm going to give them probably that much time, but I'm also watching Samsung and HTC. The thing that makes me nervous about Android devices though is that as soon as you buy one a hotter one comes out two weeks later...lol!

01-07-11 09:15 AM
    My storm 9550 is quickly becoming obsolete.
    LOL....It's been obsolete since release date!

I've had both 9530 and 9550, and like Gawain said, my demands couldn't be met. And all I really wanted was a 9550 OS that wasn't fraught with bugs like robo-voice, low BT volume, and excessive battery drain.
    01-07-11 09:20 AM
    If you pay close attention to what is going on at the CES show, you will see that AT&T is now showcasing Android products. AT&T is about to lose Iphone exclusivity, so they are now trying put focus on presenting other phones to their customers.

It is a certainty that the company will lose customers because Verizon has a superior network, so they are attempting to be proactive to save as many customers as they can.
    01-07-11 10:53 AM
    Verizon iPhone launch looks set for February 3rd | BGR | Boy Genius Report

RIM has also renamed their main event, WES, to BlackBerry World Conference, taking place in May 2011. Expect announcements then, and don't count them out just yet.
    01-07-11 11:08 AM
    no doubt iphone is coming but if you expected to see it at CES you are crazy
    01-07-11 11:08 AM

NEW YORK (Reuters) Verizon Wireless will sell the iPhone, the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, citing a person familiar with the matter.

There was no specific date for when Verizon would sell the phone in its stores, the paper reported on its website. The announcement will be made on Tuesday at an event in New York, WSJ said.

Verizon declined to comment. An Apple spokeswoman declined to comment.

Shares of Verizon rose 2.5 percent in after-hours trading on the New York Stock Exchange. Apple shares rose 0.6 percent in after-hours trading on the Nasdaq.

Verizon, Wireless, a joint venture between Verizon Communications and Vodafone Group Plc, delivered cryptic nontransferable invitations on Friday to an event to Tuesday's New York event.

The in-box invite to journalists was skimpy on details: "Join us as we share the latest news from Verizon Wireless."

AT&T Inc is currently the exclusive carrier of the iPhone.

On January 6, AT&T announced it will cut the price of its older iPhone model, the 3GS, to $49 from $99.

Apple's iPad is available through Verizon.

Earlier this week at the Consumer Electronics Show, the annual gadget extravaganza in Las Vegas, Verizon Wireless said it plans to have 10 new devices -- including four smartphones and new tablets -- on store shelves by midyear for its high speed wireless data service.

(Reporting by Liana B. Baker, Jennifer Saba, Gabriel Madway; Editing by Gary Hill and Gunna Dickson)
    01-08-11 03:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD