Ok, my mother spilled water all over her env touch, it stopped working and we did the whole rice thing...after a day, everything was working except she wasn't getting any service so I figured it was the antenna. I took it up to the verizon store, they told me it was done, so I decided to get her a pre-owned certified phone to hold her over for her contract...anyway, I'll get to the point..fedex just delevered the phone and now my moms old env touch just started getting a bunch of texts and she now how full service, everything is working...I know I have 30 days to send the pre-owned phone back but...am I allowed to just keep it as a backup if I'm not going to activate it? I figure it would be good in case her phone starts acting weird from the water damage like in a few months (she still has a year on her contract). thank for any help

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 11:42 AM
    hey, you will have to return the old phone within 30 days or you can be charged $300 or more....you cannot keep both and have one for a backup that won't fly with Verizon
    08-12-10 12:24 PM
    Well the phone that was sent to me was pre-owned, I paid full price for it "pre owned price" in the store, I was never told I had to send the water damaged phone back...oh well, I guess I'll send the pre owned back, thanks for your help

08-12-10 12:49 PM
    If you purchased a Certified Pre-Owned phone and you want to keep it, you can. You paid for it. And you do not have to return the other phone, only when you replace under warranty.
    08-12-10 01:11 PM
    hey, you will have to return the old phone within 30 days or you can be charged $300 or more....you cannot keep both and have one for a backup that won't fly with Verizon
    Thats if the phone was replaced under warranty. As the OP stated, they bought a certified pre owned phone. Thats means yes, they can keep both of them.
    08-12-10 01:33 PM
    Yes you can keep the CPO phone. You purchased it, it is not a warranty issue. Me personally i would use the new one, and keep the old one as a back-up.
    08-12-10 01:34 PM
    that's what I thought (it makes sense), I really wasn't expecting the damaged phone to work again, but when it did, my mom naturally wanted to use it instead of the pre-owned (its a huge downgrade old flip phone) ...but like I said, it would be good for backup in case the water damaged phone decides to corrode in the near future..thanks everyone for your help!.

08-12-10 01:34 PM
    Keep both, water damage has a way of coming back later.
    08-12-10 02:46 PM
    Or keep the water logged phone as your back up. Water damage can cme back in an instant.

08-12-10 03:06 PM
    Or keep the water logged phone as your back up. Water damage can cme back in an instant.

I personally would keep the water damaged one on until it totally dies. The odds are against it working again if its just laying in a drawer for a couple months.

Then once it dies you can activate the new one and you're good!
    08-12-10 04:58 PM
    I personally would keep the water damaged one on until it totally dies. The odds are against it working again if its just laying in a drawer for a couple months.

Then once it dies you can activate the new one and you're good!
    Yep, exactly what I was thinking, the water logged phone is only going to get worse in time

08-13-10 01:12 AM
    You are wrong. She doesn't have to return the old phone. It only pertains to clnrs that must be returned.
    08-13-10 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD