I just wanted to know if there is a way for your cell phones can be picked up on any kind of scanners? I was just thinking how back in the day how the cordless phone could be heard all over the scanner, and I got to thinking an wondered about the cell phones.
    01-15-09 11:06 PM
    Yeah they can be picked up with certain program. The police have been using this type of technology for a while. What they do is remotely turn on the microphone on a cellphone to eavesdrop onto conversations or the software can pick up a conversation that is already in progress. The name of this technique is roving bug. I actually got to see this done by a buddy of mine whos father is a retired police officer. But there is a limitation on the distance you can be from the subject. There is also equipment that spouses can buy to use to listen to their mates conversations in a similar manner.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 12:55 AM
    Yeah but aren't scanners still just picking up analog signals? I thought that
    ability died when carriers went digital...
    01-16-09 09:50 AM
    The old analog cell phones could be listened to with garden variety scanners until the frequencies were blocked by scanner makers.
    The new digital frequencies can be monitored, but it is too difficult to do without either your carrier's involvement or the government.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 09:54 AM
    Just want to add this - scanners made in this country have had certain frequencies removed. These frequencies are the cellular and military range. Now having said this, there are scanners made abroad that don't have the same restrictions. In addition, if you are tech savy and know how, you can tune a scanner into the removed frequencies. As for the "roving bug" thing, its partly true and really depends on model phone and is done via OTA much like you would obtain firmware updates.
    01-18-09 10:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD