07-25-08 02:17 PM
70 123
tools
    I installed OS4.5 on my 8830 about 3 days ago. had lots of little issues that didn't bother me too bad. Then i tried to use gps function, it simply would not lock on to a satellite. I can almost always get a signal indoors and always pick up outside, but with 4.5, nothing. I just got a message saying GPS was unable to lock. So i ended up going back to 4.2.2 and all is well again. Oh and I'm on alltel with GPS feature fully fuctional. Not really sure if that makes a difference. Anyone else try the GPS function?
    06-30-08 12:16 AM
    i am not sure if downloaded the correct 4.5 file, there were several options, however at present html and docs2.go are not on my bb after downloaded 4.5
    06-30-08 03:47 PM
    html you need 4.5 but need to resend service books and battery pull. for doc to go. you need to install them from DM 4.5
    06-30-08 03:52 PM
    html you need 4.5 but need to resend service books and battery pull. for doc to go. you need to install them from DM 4.5
    I installed OS 4.5.0.33 using DM 4.3, installed Docs2Go, resent the service books, and have not had to do a battery pull. HTML Email works fine, Docs2Go works fine, text messaging no prob.

Web browser and media player (specifically playback of 320x240 3GP files) are a bit flakey, though.
    06-30-08 05:23 PM
    Just did mine. I swear some things actually work better, like when I go to MMS a pic I just took. It would take forever to process on the 4.3, now on 4.5 it doesn't take as long.

Just a couple of quirks that I found:

Certain ringers do not work at all
    If I reboot I have to reorder/unhide/hide icons

Docs to Go and HTML email are worth the quirks until the final release comes out, to me at least.
    07-03-08 09:36 AM
    Certain ringers do not work at all
    If I reboot I have to reorder/unhide/hide icons.
    That's a theme issue. Change themes and you won't have the problem.
    07-03-08 10:29 AM
    hello---

Ok I am not the most tech savvy person so be gentle....two questions:

HTML emails--simple explanation

HTML browser--I noticed that some VZW phones have it (Dare, Voyager..) what's the difference with a BB browser and a regular handset.

C

VZW employee (Ii know I know...I should know this stuff)
    07-03-08 10:55 AM
    Hi cmsmith,
    Here's my attempt to answer your questions:

1.) First, remember that the "HTML email" feature is new for the Blackberry OS ver. 4.5. Since this is a beta, the Blackberries that Verizon sells at the store don't have this feature (they are using an eariler version). When OS 4.5 moves beyond beta I'm guessing they'll start selling BB with 4.5 at the store. Anyway, the advantage of HTML email is that now emails which contain HTML will be rendered by the BB, rather than seeing the raw HTML markup itself. This makes the emails more readable.

2.) I can't really speak to your second question very well, as I've never used another VZW device to connect to the web besides a BB, but I would suspect that the surfing capabilities of non-BB would be more limited. May not have JavaScript support, or ability to view videos such as YouTube. Of course, some of the PDA's (such as the Touch), may have more capability than a BB. I suggest playing with those phones at the store if you have the time.

Welcome to the forums... I've found this site a great place to get educated about these phones.
    Last edited by crispjw; 07-03-08 at 02:15 PM.
    07-03-08 02:10 PM
    Hey--thanks for your input, really helps out. Yeah I googled some stuff and figured out some things on my own, which I probably should have done first, but thank you.

Christian
    07-03-08 03:08 PM
    using 4.5 on a CDMA curve (bell) and I can't delete pictures anymore.. I can't find the option to erase pics using the camera app.

also GPS is stuck on "searching for satellites" and can't get a satellite lock.
    07-03-08 06:52 PM
    I'm usually all for having the latest and greatest thing out there. But since I've only owned a BB a couple weeks, I know enough to know when I don't know enough. So I'll be holding off on trying to upgrade to 4.5. My question is, when VZW does decide to roll out 4.5 as the standard, how do those of us with 4.3 get updated? Do we have to use the *228 or whatever, or do we launch DM and upgrade that online , then just connect our BB and let it update for us? Just curious how all that works?
    07-04-08 06:31 AM
    I'm usually all for having the latest and greatest thing out there. But since I've only owned a BB a couple weeks, I know enough to know when I don't know enough. So I'll be holding off on trying to upgrade to 4.5. My question is, when VZW does decide to roll out 4.5 as the standard, how do those of us with 4.3 get updated? Do we have to use the *228 or whatever, or do we launch DM and upgrade that online , then just connect our BB and let it update for us? Just curious how all that works?
    Check for updates at this link. But don't hold your breath. Best guess is early to mid August for VZW 4.5

BlackBerry® Software Updates
    07-04-08 06:37 AM
    Thanx JRSCCivic98 for this awesome assessment! You're a rockstar! I have the 8330/Cellular South running 4.5.0.33 beta. My findings are below.

1) Trackball Click sound is non-existant when you move around.
    Duplicated

2) Media Player crashed once already bringing up the Menu/Hitting Stop and then Escaping to go back to previous screen (Browser). It caused a reboot. Was able to duplicate it once, but not again. Obviously more of a stability issue.
    Issues at first with it crashing on some videos, but evenually stopped. However, still no m.youtube but that may be a combo issue between this and the browser.

3) All SMSs are listed a emergency ones (i.e. they have "!" next to the envalope).
    Messages that were present before the upgrade had the "!". All subsequent messages had the standard envelope/check mark.

SMS *** I did initially have the problem of not being able to send text. I found a solution here that required the chaning of the priority and number of retries, then reverting back to original or desired settings. This and only this solved my problem. Provisioning was going to be a last resort.

4) Memory... even without DocsToGo, memory is about 17-18MB free (with only Google and Opear Mini loaded). That's BS man, RIM needs to free up some major memory... and quick. RIM, I don't need a 500k Sample Music file. Get that off of there!!!! It shouldn't be preloaded at all.
    When installed on my 8830, I had pretty much the same amount of memory with nothing but facebook and Google search installed. Docs to Go uses 2 friggin MB, so.....Anyhoo, on my 8330, I have roughly 40+MB free with 7-8 third party apps in addition to Docs to Go. I did remove the sample music and the large sample video. Haven't done any other memory optimization yet. Device memory is 96MB

5) Memory leak!!!! Big TIME!!!! Memory is also not being released once resources no longer are using it.
    Haven't noticed this on the 8330, but on the 8830 I did. This could be because I have such a large amount of free memory on the 8330 that I just can't notice it. Will look out for it though.

6) When you make a call, the homescreen background completely reverts back to default as apposed to having the top part of whatever wallpaper you have set on the home screen.
    Not sure what you mean by this. Help me out here.

7) Holding down Shift to scroll and select multiple emails to delete them no longer works.
    Annoying as heck, but not yet a reason to revert back to 4.3. This just helps to form the habit of "Delete after you read"

8) Voice Notes does not work. It takes you to Open a VoiceNote, but no options to Record one.
    This was true on my 8830 which did not initially have the VoiceNote feature. However on my 8330, everything works as expected with regards to Voice Notes.

9) Ringtones listed as Ringer_BBPro** do not work. The files are corrupt in the media cod.
    Duplicated

10) Ringtone volume on the 8830 is still low, just like before. No change.
    Never really struggled with this partly because i used the really loud classic ringtone on my 8830. 8330 seems to be cool though.

11) Hitting Del while in the browser will take you back one webpage. (This is similar to Backspace in IE on a PC, but because the BBBrowser is finicky with text boxes currently, if this is a "feature", it causes more issues currently then not.) It needs to be taken out, using Escape to go back one webpage is just as easy... no need for another key that does the same thing.
    Re: Delete Key - Duplicated
    Re: Finicky Text Boxes - I too, experienced this and just took off the cursor option in the general browser settings.

12) International Data connection does not work. (Not verified by me/One user reported.)
    These days...I'm barely making it out of state. Can't speak here.

13) No cod files for SheetsToGo in the OS load. So, don't expect to have it as an option in DocsToGo. Only Word and Slideshow.
    Open Word or Slideshow and search for updates, there is a maintenance update provided that you've registered your standard copy. It adds sheets to go.
    07-04-08 07:25 PM
    curious...would this cdma upgrade work for an att/8310 bb as well???
    07-18-08 01:24 PM
    ^no. Gsm / cdma don't mix.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-18-08 02:35 PM
    gotcha....do you mind explaining to me the diff. btwm cdma and gsm???
    07-18-08 03:11 PM
    The acronyms stand for Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and Global System for Mobile communications.

Basically these are two different network technologies. For more detail, do a Google search for CDMA and GSM and you should get several websites describing what these are.
    07-18-08 05:17 PM
    Does anybody know WHY Verizon doesn't release updates as RIM makes them..I don't undertstand that? What does Verizon possibly gain from it...I don't get how it works.
    07-19-08 10:24 AM
    why should update it as they come out gives them time to lock down more features
    07-19-08 10:49 PM
    we beta tested 4.5 on and 8830 in May and we killed a SIM. I cant live with out my BB so I will stay away from it on my 8330. I really want the better browser though, mini Opera needs improvements.
    07-25-08 02:17 PM
70 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD