Technically this is a cross post, but I hope the mods will leave it open. My questions are buried in my post about general usage in the Bahamas and I did not think people would see these questions otherwise.

I am going to the Bahamas in a few weeks. Will be going on VZW's global plan while there (to maintain data for personal stuff. Will not be answering any work emails, and work knows that).

I know that the Bahamas has both CDMA and GSM. Which one will provide the best data experience while there?

Also, domestically, if you have a voicemail, you get a free SMS message from VZW. What happens to this system while there? I don't care about being able to get voicemail so Google Voice and Youmail are of no use to me. I just want to avoid cost. Would I be correct in assuming those SMS messages only get received by my phone when I am on the domestic VZW network?

Thanks ahead of time!
    08-20-10 01:19 PM
    When I was there about a week ago, on a cruise, I was getting full bars with just 1X, no 3G for me. I am not sure which will provide you with the best data experience while you are there though. I am not sure about the whole saving costs. I think if you wanted to do that, you would keep the phone off, I spent about 90 minutes total on the phone while I was there. My gf's iPhone was on "BTC" and I can only imagine how much that will cost me.
    08-21-10 04:58 PM