Are these posts true?

You could talk and browse simultaneously on EVDO if you were using VOIP rather than a CDMA voice codec.

EV-DO can do simultaneous voice and data, its just that Verizon and Sprint haven't implemented the tech for it..
    03-21-09 11:13 AM
    Not that I know of. Never has never will. When LTE comes out that might change things. Current devices will not run LTE.
    03-21-09 11:35 AM
    CDMA does not support simultaneous voice and data.
    03-21-09 12:38 PM
    EVDO is Data Only. EVDV is Data Voice.

EVDV was being pushed by Qualcomm, but the advent of LTE killed it.

It wouldve made no sense to implement EVDV when a faster protocol was in the works.

The only two real advantages GSM has over CDMA are simultaneous data/voice & greater battery life. The minuses with GSM are many, including much higher radiation levels, much lower speeds and vastly lower security. There are also connection issues with GSM's hard handoff from tower to tower, making for more dropped calls when mobile, as well as greater mobile quality/speed degradation. GSM also has a hard capacity limit, while CDMA adjusts based on traffic load.

The late 2009 VZW rollout for LTE will mean speeds up to 30X that of current CDMA 3G implementations and 125X that of the best GSM 3G implementations.

Another interesting thing is that VZW is promising aggressive full network implementation of up to 60mbps LTE starting late this year, while AT&T is planning a much slower rollout of 10-30mbps LTE starting late 2011 or 2012.

CDMA won the tech battle the minute it rolled out, while the carriers who committed to TDMA were stuck with GSM. Now LTE promises to make it all moot.

And one more thing - T-Mobile has not committed to anything other than GSM. Sprint is still planning WiMax, which has its own problems and is inferior to LTE.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 12:58 PM
    So a dumb question just to confirm in the U.S. 1XEVDO is 3G correct? also the verizon phone will not show the 3G on the phone in the U.S. correct.
    03-22-09 07:37 PM
    You are correct. 3G will not show on the phone anywhere.
    03-22-09 07:38 PM
    Good info Twins, thanks.

03-22-09 07:44 PM
    So a dumb question just to confirm in the U.S. 1XEVDO is 3G correct? also the verizon phone will not show the 3G on the phone in the U.S. correct.
    1XEVDO is, by default, in the higher speed range of 3G, while EDGE is lower range.

I always looked at it this way. I have a car in the garage that will top out at over 200MPH. Nowhere on the car does it say "car" or "200MPH" or any such thing. But it is still a car and, for those who know, the ZR-1 badge tells you it is both.

Any old Corolla is a car.

To say simply 3G tells me no more than someone saying, "I have a car" or "it has a V8." I want to know what it'll do.

03-22-09 07:48 PM

The late 2009 VZW rollout for LTE will mean speeds up to 30X that of current CDMA 3G implementations and 125X that of the best GSM 3G implementations.

Another interesting thing is that VZW is promising aggressive full network implementation of up to 60mbps LTE starting late this year, while AT&T is planning a much slower rollout of 10-30mbps LTE starting late 2011 or 2012.

I heard the rollout later this year was just commercial bandwidth related, and that the rest of us on the mobile network wont see LTE until next year at the earliest. Do you have any information on this? Does anyone have any information regarding what phones are going to be implementing LTE first?
    03-22-09 09:01 PM
    LTE will be in test markets later this year and should start rollng out in 2010. No info on what devices will be first.
    03-22-09 09:03 PM
    LTE will be in test markets later this year and should start rollng out in 2010. No info on what devices will be first.
    The test markets already exist. Verizon is currently performing initial tests in Minneapolis, Columbus, and northern New Jersey with an expanded fourth round of trials this year. These are set to be based on two unnamed markets, using the 700 MHz spectrum Verizon purchased at auction last year. The plan includes a national rollout roughly the size of Verizons current 3G EV-DO footprint by the middle of 2010 and will follow a smart-build strategy. The rest of the current VZW area should be fully LTE available by first-quarter 2011 and nationwide coverage (including most areas not covered by Verizon) by late 2013.

For those of you betting on the occultic Mayan calendar concept of the end of the world coming in 2012, I guess you'll be missing out.
    03-22-09 10:15 PM
    The test markets already exist. Verizon is currently performing initial tests in Minneapolis, Columbus, and northern New Jersey with an expanded fourth round of trials this year. These are set to be based on two unnamed markets, using the 700 MHz spectrum Verizon purchased at auction last year. The plan includes a national rollout roughly the size of Verizons current 3G EV-DO footprint by the middle of 2010 and will follow a smart-build strategy. The rest of the current VZW area should be fully LTE available by first-quarter 2011 and nationwide coverage (including most areas not covered by Verizon) by late 2013.

For those of you betting on the occultic Mayan calendar concept of the end of the world coming in 2012, I guess you'll be missing out.
    Thanks for the info. I guess the next question is. When will see a blackberry with an LTE chipset?
    03-23-09 07:50 AM
    Thanks for the info. I guess the next question is. When will see a blackberry with an LTE chipset?
    No clue here. Not even a RIM rumor that I've heard of.

03-23-09 08:57 AM
    With this kind of speed are people going to consider removing their home broadband service? If they have one PC/laptop they may consider tethering as their primary internet?

I imagine that the carriers will enforce their data caps?
    Will the amount of users on the network serious degrade the LTE speed?
    03-23-09 04:24 PM
    No clue here. Not even a RIM rumor that I've heard of.

Found this link

RIM working on LTE BlackBerry for release when LTE is deployed? : Boy Genius Report
    03-23-09 09:07 PM
    That works.

Except it is BGR.

I'd believe National Enquirer or New York Times before I'd believe BGR.

Actually, I'd seen that back when. It really wouldn't take much to do an LTE/CDMA BlackBerry. It could run LTE and fall back to CDMA.

Word from behind the scenes that as soon as VZW gets LTE up and running in more than a half dozen markets, the very next BlackBerry model will be LTE capable.

RIM will have to do it, else they'll be left in the dust by new WinMo devices.

03-23-09 09:14 PM
    That works.

Except it is BGR.

I'd believe National Enquirer or New York Times before I'd believe BGR.

Actually, I'd seen that back when. It really wouldn't take much to do an LTE/CDMA BlackBerry. It could run LTE and fall back to CDMA.

Word from behind the scenes that as soon as VZW gets LTE up and running in more than a half dozen markets, the very next BlackBerry model will be LTE capable.

RIM will have to do it, else they'll be left in the dust by new WinMo devices.

There was some mention that the Pluto, Magnum or one of the future devices is being scrapped for something superior. I wonder if it associated with LTE?
    03-24-09 11:53 AM
    There was some mention that the Pluto, Magnum or one of the future devices is being scrapped for something superior. I wonder if it associated with LTE?
    This is possible, but all I find online are "news" items based on that BGR story or responses to that story. What I've heard from behind the scenes is that the new Niagara is different from the Curve2 and the Bold because it is designed with LTE in mind. Now this doesn't mean the device will be LTE capable or even LTE upgradable - what is more likely is a newer phone appearing with an updated model number - same as the initial Niagara, but with LTE capability.

Again, this is all speculation, as I am hearing it from upper-level engineers and they may be making assumptions or getting their info second-hand. And, some info we have is not to be shared yet, even in the most general way.

But you can rest assured that there will be LTE BlackBerrys. They might be beaten to market by other devices though.

03-24-09 01:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD