My employer has a working BES professional server. I've tried to get my BlackBerry setup and working with it, but it will never activate. I've called both BlackBerry and Verizon about this and my phone is supposedly ok, but it just won't activate. Upon talking to Verizon, they say I need the 44.99 plan instead of the 29.99 plan I currently have. My Verizon rep says that isn't true and the 29.99 plan can do everything the 44.99 plan can do. Who is right?

Do I need the 44.99 plan to connect to my companys BES server?
    03-11-09 09:22 AM
    You do need the $44.99 plan in order to connect to a BES server. We get people trying to add there BlackBerry to our BES all the time, but Verizon told them they only need the $29.99 plan. Once they switch to the $44.99 plan, it connects without a problem.
    03-11-09 10:08 AM
    One of the problems is that the VZW folks you speak with on the phone are generally not trained in business enterprise apps/sales. The people with BES needs don't deal directly with random customer service agents.

They are correct - the $29.99 plan will do everything the $44.99 plan will do EXCEPT connect to a BES.

I would like to caution that, unless you absolutely need to connect to your work BES, try to avoid it. When you get into BES, they can monitor all of your activity and can administer your apps. You may end up under your workplace usage restrictions and I have heard more than my share of job-affecting stories regarding BlackBerry use through a BES.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 12:44 PM
    Right. They can read anything you type in the phone. Text, pics, personal email, bbm. Everything.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-11-09 05:31 PM
    I don't have much of a choice. Our Exchange server is behind a firewall that is configured by our parent company. BIS won't work, I've tried, and we have to use some type of access token to get to OWA. The only options are to configure it for BES or to use the Desktop Redirector, which apparently doesn't support attachments.
    03-12-09 10:10 AM
    I don't have much of a choice. Our Exchange server is behind a firewall that is configured by our parent company. BIS won't work, I've tried, and we have to use some type of access token to get to OWA. The only options are to configure it for BES or to use the Desktop Redirector, which apparently doesn't support attachments.
    You a correct - This appears that you need to put on the BES server and requires the $44.99 data plan. Redirector sucks and does nto support attachments.
    03-14-09 09:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD