So I'm going to Cancun in 2 weeks and I have the 9630 which is a world phone. I pay the 30 dollars a month for data along with the fee for my normal service. So my question is, will I be charged extra to use my phone in Cancun or will it be included in my already sky high phone bill?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-13-10 10:10 AM
    Yes yes, if you don't have a global plan, you will be charged since there is no Verizon down in Mexico. When I went down to Mexico, I had the Storm 2. I turned off the mobile network and just used wifi. I was able to get email and browse the net, and didn't get charged a penny. It is extremely expensive to use a Blackberry while roaming.

06-13-10 10:19 AM
    Oh wonderful.... Not what I wanted to hear at all... Thank you very much though

06-13-10 11:42 AM
    If you want unlimited BB data, you can add the 65 dollar global email plan and not have to worry about a high bill.

06-13-10 12:02 PM
    Even though you're plan may seen expensive, it only covers you while you're in the United States. Like Mario said, you can always add global email and web access for just a month.

06-13-10 12:43 PM
    I go to Mexico often enough that I have the Nationwide +Mexico plan. I do not get charged for calls and I keep my data off since it is not included for Mexico. Now that I have a new 9650, I will be able to use the WIFI for data.

The Nationwide +Mexico is $79 for 900 minutes. All calls do use the minutes since vzw to vzw is not included in Mexico.
    06-13-10 07:53 PM
    also the global data plan is pro-rated and goes in place of your standard data plan, so if you're going to cancun for 2 weeks, it will only cost you about $15-20 extra.
    06-14-10 07:48 AM
    also the global data plan is pro-rated and goes in place of your standard data plan, so if you're going to cancun for 2 weeks, it will only cost you about $15-20 extra.
    Which is much better than a huge surprise bill.

06-14-10 03:55 PM
    Yes yes, if you don't have a global plan, you will be charged since there is no Verizon down in Mexico. When I went down to Mexico, I had the Storm 2. I turned off the mobile network and just used wifi. I was able to get email and browse the net, and didn't get charged a penny. It is extremely expensive to use a Blackberry while roaming.

How did you do it? If I turn off my mobile network I'm not able to use the wifi, the icon turn into grey colour
    06-19-10 10:56 AM
    ...unless MexTel or whatever carrier VZW partners with there decides to wait a month or two to send an invoice to VZW at which time you will pay full roaming charges if you've already removed the global plan.
    06-19-10 04:22 PM
    How did you do it? If I turn off my mobile network I'm not able to use the wifi, the icon turn into grey colour
    Really? That's what I did when I went to Mexico. Try turning on wifi first and than turning off just the carrier mobile network.

06-19-10 04:50 PM
    ...unless MexTel or whatever carrier VZW partners with there decides to wait a month or two to send an invoice to VZW at which time you will pay full roaming charges if you've already removed the global plan.
    It doesn't work like that. The mexican cell company sends Verizon a bill per their roaming agreement -- not the subscriber.
    06-20-10 04:31 AM
    Really? That's what I did when I went to Mexico. Try turning on wifi first and than turning off just the carrier mobile network.

He has a 9630, not a 9550.
    06-20-10 04:33 AM
    He has a 9630, not a 9550.
    In fact I have a 9700...but it doesnt work
    06-20-10 09:38 AM
    It doesn't work like that. The mexican cell company sends Verizon a bill per their roaming agreement -- not the subscriber.
    ....which is exactly what I said but the Mex company is under no obligation to send an invoice according to your next billing cycle. You can receive an invoice months later and if you've already removed int'l roaming you're going to be charged as if you never had and int'l voice or data plan.
    06-20-10 10:18 AM
    ....which is exactly what I said but the Mex company is under no obligation to send an invoice according to your next billing cycle. You can receive an invoice months later and if you've already removed int'l roaming you're going to be charged as if you never had and int'l voice or data plan.

I'm sorry I misread your post but you're still wrong. Verizon would see the customer had the data plan during that time and charge according to their price plan.

06-20-10 10:44 AM
    I'm sorry I misread your post but you're still wrong. Verizon would see the customer had the data plan during that time and charge according to their price plan.

I'm the primary administrator for 1,500 verizon lines of service including dozens of people that travel internationally and I process all of the invoices so yeah, I'm just making this up.
    06-20-10 04:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD