04-28-09 12:13 AM
30 12
tools
    I have a 2 Blackberry Storms. I just got my phone on the 27th of March and have had to exchange it twice and possibly a third time now because this phone is crap. My husbands phone has had to be replaced. So I decided that since my internet and other features do not work like they are supposed to I am going to cancel my account.

Well the lady said that she can cancel my account since I just started service on the 27th but my husband has to keep his or pay the fee because he started his account on March 3rd. I told the lady that we have had nothing but problems with these phones. Everytime I have an issue I have to call tech support, each time they never troubleshoot, they automatically says "you will have to wipe the phone"

So 4 phones in 30 days and that's acceptable? I want to cancel my account without paying the fee's. Plus I already have to pay for my usage for the month, which I thought since I did have so many problems that Verizon would just eat the cost, but no, but atleast they can cancel my account and waive the fee.

Also I am paying so much money just to have these Blackberrys. I pay for two phones. $60 for data, $30 for unlimited text and no other cool features come with it like the navigator - I also pay for the minutes seperately.

I'm frusterated and not sure what to do... any suggestions?
    Last edited by SinsoftheSick; 04-25-09 at 08:22 PM.
    04-25-09 08:18 PM
    I have a 2 Blackberry Storms. I just got my phone on the 27th of March and have had to exchange it twice and possibly a third time now because this phone is crap. My husbands phone has had to be replaced. So I decided that since my internet and other features do not work like they are supposed to I am going to cancel my account.

Well the lady said that she can cancel my account since I just started service on the 27th but my husband has to keep his or pay the fee because he started his account on March 3rd. I told the lady that we have had nothing but problems with these phones. Everytime I have an issue I have to call tech support, each time they never troubleshoot, they automatically says "you will have to wipe the phone"

So 4 phones in 30 days and that's acceptable? I want to cancel my account without paying the fee's. Plus I already have to pay for my usage for the month, which I thought since I did have so many problems that Verizon would just eat the cost, but no, but atleast they can cancel my account and waive the fee.

No luck. You have 30 days to cancel service, if I had that many problems within the first couple of weeks, I would have cancled at that time. But that's just me. Once you're past the 30 days, there's really no other choice but to pay the fee. It is acceptable because you had the choice to cancel service within the first 30 days, problems or not.
    04-25-09 08:22 PM
    I had a Pearl when I started and then switched to the Blackberry Storms March 27th. I added the line then, so my phone was before the 30 days but his account has been over the 30 days.. We both just got the new phones the 27th of March. Im going to fight it because I have had to call in and have had so many problems.
    04-25-09 08:24 PM
    I had a Pearl when I started and then switched to the Blackberry Storms March 27th. I added the line then, so my phone was before the 30 days but his account has been over the 30 days.. We both just got the new phones the 27th of March. Im going to fight it because I have had to call in and have had so many problems.
    If you get the right supervisor, they may let you out without paying an etf... But I don't want to get your hopes up. Good luck
    04-25-09 08:28 PM
    Thanks I need it with dealing with some of these people.
    04-25-09 08:30 PM
    True... Your best bet is to be nice and courteous and ask for a supervisor. Be nice to the supervisor, they don't respond well to threats and anger. Just be calm and rational, and I'm sure a supervisor will help you out.
    04-25-09 08:34 PM
    I work as an indirect agent. My approach would be this.....
    >>> Be open to the possibility of switching to the curve. I have been around for 2 yrs with verizon and after that many replacements you DO have the option to switch devices. MY opinion is the Curve is a more reliable and great all around device. Plus if you keep up-dating the OS on Crackberry....No Probs to speak of.
    04-25-09 08:38 PM
    Definitely speak to a supervisor about the issue. I would think that they can access your account and confirm that you have experienced nothing but problems with the phones. I feel your pain though, I have had three storms in 6 weeks. I am not very satisfied with the phone and feel that there are a lot of issues that need resolved to make this phone what it was intended to be. Good luck with canceling your account.
    04-25-09 08:48 PM
    I read some where on CB that the text rates are going to change after May 1st. If that is true the person who posted this info said that you can get out of your contract because Verizon changed its rates. Can anyone else verify this?
    04-25-09 09:03 PM
    I read some where on CB that the text rates are going to change after May 1st. If that is true the person who posted this info said that you can get out of your contract because Verizon changed its rates. Can anyone else verify this?
    Hmm you started a whole thread about this in which I answered in the other one. no need top post this everywhere and be in violation of CB policy on doing this.
    04-25-09 09:21 PM
    Im curious to know what you mean by "these people."

You kept the phone for longer than thirty days, why should you be allowed more than 30 and everyone else be held to 30?
    04-25-09 10:34 PM
    Im curious to know what you mean by "these people."

You kept the phone for longer than thirty days, why should you be allowed more than 30 and everyone else be held to 30?
    I wonder the same thing - there are stipulations for getting out of the VZW contract - and the stipulations are actually a little easier than the competition - phone problems are not included, because the carriers do not make the phones.

I am also interested in why people post in multiple places - do they think they'll get a different answer? Maybe one more in line with what they want to hear? Regardless, what is said here has zero effect on what VZW or any other carrier will or will not do.

Best case scenario - you'll end up with another phone. Taking more than 30 days to decide you want to cancel holds no water and there are no lemon laws covering bad phone design.
    04-25-09 10:39 PM
    I mean, I can see maybe switching out for a Curve. We do not lose much revenue. In fact we probably gain revenue because you would be more happy with your device and stay with Verizon for longer. Canceling though? I wouldn't do it. Neither would my sup.
    04-25-09 10:41 PM
    Of course, if you do not like what dad tells you go to mom
    04-25-09 10:41 PM
    Here's another thought - if carriers allowed people out of contracts because of phone failures, what would keep someone from causing multiple failures?

I can cause a phone to fail with about 60 seconds worth of effort and the in-store techs wouldn't detect the cause of the failure. So lets see - I am unhappy with a Storm and decided I wanted a Bold or a Sidekick or an Ocean. A twiddle here, a twiddle there and poof! Failed phone. Repeat as needed to get an ETF waiver.

It isn't happening.

Of course, if you do not like what dad tells you go to mom
    And Dad will beat your tail!
    04-25-09 10:47 PM

Also I am paying so much money just to have these Blackberrys. I pay for two phones. $60 for data, $30 for unlimited text and no other cool features come with it like the navigator - I also pay for the minutes seperately.

What sort of problems are you having with the phones?

You can't complain about the monthly charges. You knew what they where when you signed up.

Have you thought about having your phones replaced one more time then selling the replacements on Ebay to cover your ETF?
    04-25-09 11:07 PM
    IF you BOTH got your Storms on the 27th, and have the receipts to prove it, you could return both phones and get a different model or a non bb for that matter.

But canceling the line that is over 30 days isn't going to happen (without an ETF) IMHO of course

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-09 11:07 PM
    That's correct. We give the Worry-Free Guarantee for 30 days. Everybody that works for VZW know the WFG. It's in your contract. After 30 days, we are not legally obligated to let you out.

Like scurvy already mentioned, you might find a sup that will let you out. Mine won't either, and neither would I. The TOS doesn't say anything to my recollection of "if your device sucks, you can take off with no ETF". We cover the network. If you have no network related issues, tough.

I apologize if I sound gruff on the whole issue, but you had a whole month to decide. Read your contract. The only thing we should do for your husband's line now is replace his device with another one, or, just to be polite, another one of his choosing. But we shouldn't let you drop out of the service w/o ETF because that's what's in your contract. Period.
    04-26-09 02:17 AM
    I personally think the following part of the OP's statement speaks volumes...

Maybe got the first bill & freaked out because the original purchase wasn't thought out?

04-26-09 06:15 AM
    what about cancelling, eating the charges and ebaying the phone...should get your money back and then some
    04-26-09 08:55 AM
    what about cancelling, eating the charges and ebaying the phone...should get your money back and then some
    But it's not the money, it's the principal! Hehe, still a good idea though.
    04-26-09 09:53 AM
    I would have to say, read and understand your contract before signing it. VZW is here to make money, not eat it.

What is wrong with the phones? I know the storms been having some issues, but 4 phones in 30 days? Are we sure it is the phones fault, or the users fault?

You also talk about paying so much for the phones, having to pay for data and so on. Again did you not understand and research before you got the phones?

From what I am reading (and I am on WAP so I can't see when you joined and how many post you have to see if you came here just for this issue) but it sounds like operator error and seeing how much they cost to have, and getting the O $**** factor.

But if I am wrong, please feel free to go into more detail.

04-26-09 11:39 AM
    That's what kills me also. People get shocked after their first month's bill ranting ON and ON about paying $29.99 per month for a data plan, $30 for unlimited txt, pix/flix, etc.

Let's say you use what I would consider a fairly low amount of data transferring. 25 MB a month. Some web browsing, email, nothing heavy. At the rate of $1.99 a MB, that translates to $49.75 a month, or $19.76 more than you would pay for an Email + Web pkg.

Or you could be a heavier user like me (2 to 3 gigs) that constantly streams Pandora, YouTube, and the likes, and my bill would be in the 5K range. No thanks.

Or take txt msging. .20 to send a txt. If you send/receive 500 a month, in/out of ntwk, that's $100. Or you could pay 10 bucks and get the 500 out of ntwk and unlimited in. Hmmmm.

Point is, if you use either feature on anything even remotely approaching a regular basis, then having a pkg is a win for you. So quit yer ********!

04-26-09 01:25 PM
    I agree, I love seeing people with four phones in one month. It's more likely user error.
    04-26-09 03:04 PM
    Have you ever had a blackberry before? How about an all touch screen phone? The chance of 3 Storms all actually being defective is slim to none. Some are "buggy" but if you are willing to take the time to do the software upgrades the issues go away.
    04-26-09 04:51 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD