I was wondering if verizon will let you out of a contract due to major service issues, I recently moved, and I drop calls literally everytime i make or receive a call from home. I cannot use my cell phone from home anymore because I will definitly drop the call. Do I have a legitamate argument stating thier service no longer works for what I need it for??
    03-24-08 10:30 AM
    Probably not. Its not their fault you moved - so coverage wouldn't be an issue IMO. I don't get service in my house either, but thats my problem not theirs.
    03-24-08 10:42 AM
    I wouldn't mention that you moved and just complain that your problem has been happening. Let them try to fix it if not complain and see if they will release you from the contract.
    03-24-08 10:44 AM
    It can't hurt to ask. All they can say is no! They might surprise you and say yes.
    03-24-08 10:54 AM
    If you keep complaining up the ladder, you may have a shot.
    03-24-08 11:30 AM
    Did you try to update your roaming capabilities?? That may fix it. Dial *228 then option 2. You should do that at least once a month anyway.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-24-08 11:48 AM
    I agree with creed. That should be set as a reminder in your calender...

03-24-08 12:35 PM
    I know that I'm still a newbie, but..... Last summer, I moved to Manhattan...wait for it....KANSAS. Yes... the "little apple".......dreadful. Anyway, my verizon phone wouldn't let me send or receive pic msgs because I was running on an "extended network". Verizon's contracts are darn near unbreakable. However, with 6 phone calls to cust service in 2 months, they actually RELEASED me from my contract!!!

It doesn't hurt to try.
    03-24-08 12:36 PM
    Awesome thanks for the info guys, I'm going to give it a shot when I get home after work.
    03-24-08 12:52 PM
    Did you try to update your roaming capabilities?? That may fix it. Dial *228 then option 2. You should do that at least once a month anyway.

Does this work with every carrier or just Verizon, and if not does anyone know how to update your roaming capabilities for Sprint?
    03-24-08 01:24 PM
    There is a little known secret about your cell phone contract that your wireless service provider doesn't want you to know.

You can cancel whenever you want without paying a termination fee.

Plenty of people have tried arguing with a customer service rep. Some have tried threatening legal action. Others just flat out refuse to pay and several months later find that they are being pursued by a collection agency.But there actually is a way to terminate your contract early AND avoid the early termination fee. All you have to do is get them to cancel you.

There is a very simple way to do this. Become unprofitable.
    If you're paying them $50 a month but costing them a few hundred - They most definitely will cancel you.

So how is it done? A few years back you might of noticed that everyone stopped paying roaming fees. One wireless giant started the "no more roaming charges" program, and the rest followed like the sheep that they are. But just because you are no longer paying the $0.69/min doesn't mean your provider gets off scott free.

Even though you stopped paying for roaming charges years ago, your wireless service provider has been eating the costs. This is done to keep complaints to a minimum, and of course, you as their customer.
    So let's do the math.
    At $0.69 a minute, a 2 hour long call in a roaming spot just cost your carrier almost $83.00
    Even with some of the higher end plans, this would still be quite a hit.

**Let Me Know If You Guys Want More Info On This**
    03-24-08 01:47 PM
    Does this work with every carrier or just Verizon, and if not does anyone know how to update your roaming capabilities for Sprint?
    As far as i know its verizon only.
    03-24-08 01:54 PM
    As far as i know its verizon only.
    This is a Verizon Wireless process only, it will not do anything on any other carriers.
    03-24-08 02:08 PM
    if you wanted to use the lack of service excuse, you have to send them bills with your new address, and they check the coverage maps and check the service out there, and if it is deemed a bad area, they will cancel it free of charge,

i have tried/
    03-24-08 02:12 PM
    Thanks for the info p.h.a.d.e. I'll keep that in mind if things get much worse at sprint!!!
    03-24-08 02:14 PM
    There is a little known secret about your cell phone contract that your wireless service provider doesn't want you to know.

You can cancel whenever you want without paying a termination fee.

Plenty of people have tried arguing with a customer service rep. Some have tried threatening legal action. Others just flat out refuse to pay and several months later find that they are being pursued by a collection agency.But there actually is a way to terminate your contract early AND avoid the early termination fee. All you have to do is get them to cancel you.

There is a very simple way to do this. Become unprofitable.
    If you're paying them $50 a month but costing them a few hundred - They most definitely will cancel you.

So how is it done? A few years back you might of noticed that everyone stopped paying roaming fees. One wireless giant started the "no more roaming charges" program, and the rest followed like the sheep that they are. But just because you are no longer paying the $0.69/min doesn't mean your provider gets off scott free.

Even though you stopped paying for roaming charges years ago, your wireless service provider has been eating the costs. This is done to keep complaints to a minimum, and of course, you as their customer.
    So let's do the math.
    At $0.69 a minute, a 2 hour long call in a roaming spot just cost your carrier almost $83.00
    Even with some of the higher end plans, this would still be quite a hit.

**Let Me Know If You Guys Want More Info On This**
    Neat trick =]!!!
    03-24-08 02:36 PM
    *Update*

Verizon has given me a trouble ticket number, and vowed to fix the problem.. If the problem has not been fixed in 14 days they will release me from my contract! Lets hope they keep their word.
    03-26-08 07:58 PM
    They mark everything in their system... Every phone you buy, every call you make... it is all in the system with a time and date stamp... so call on day 14. Also look at the map. I was in the military and have gotten out of all of my contracts. A friend of mine moved and got out of her Verizon contract when she moved Co to Tx. She looked at the coverage map and on the map showed where she lived was a white spot. That means there was no coverage. So look at the map in your current area. If it is white... tell them that the coverage isn't sufficient. Might work...
    03-26-08 08:17 PM
    *Update*

Verizon has given me a trouble ticket number, and vowed to fix the problem.. If the problem has not been fixed in 14 days they will release me from my contract! Lets hope they keep their word.
    They told me the same thing. I still had to call back a few more times and explain the problem. They didn't actually cancel mine until they had three separate calls annotated in their database.
    04-07-08 12:48 PM
    The best way to get out is to document your issues in a certified letter to the CEO. Complain in a professional non-threatening manner, i would suggest you copy a example letter, and you will be released. Companies do not like getting certified mail with return receipt because they can not ignore it.
    04-07-08 01:22 PM
    I too was able to break my contract when my job relocated me to a (at that time) analog roam area of Verizon's network. A few calls to customer service, attempted to update roaming database, (failed to resolve trouble ticket) and I was released (2 phones) 3 months in to a 2 year contract with no fees, etc. Just be pleasant and persitant, it worked for me!

PS now the network is great in my area and I am eagerly awaiting the curve!
    04-07-08 01:40 PM
    For *228 should I use Option 2, or Option 1?

04-07-08 08:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD