I notice Amazon has cheap phones when you buy or renew a Verizon contract, but that you have to pay a $250 fee if you change the contract within 181 days. If I were to renew my contract, get a new phone for $0.01, and then SELL the new phone (just continue using my old phone), would this result in a $250 fee? Or do you only get charged the fee if you cancel or reduce your service?

Thank you!
    07-18-09 09:05 PM
    If you have to have the contract for 181 days, then you are obligated to have it for that long. Then you could sell the phone, but I see you are on Tmobile, so if you plan on getting a VZW phone and selling it, you will have an ETF for the line considering you are outside the 30 day window. 181 days is just over 6 months so expect to pay for the plan, activation fees, and data package for 6 months.

Not sure if it's worth it.
    07-18-09 09:17 PM
    Oh, well my spouse is on Verizon and has a Blackberry Pearl. So what I would do is renew her contract (she wants to stay on Verizon), get a new phone for $0.01 (she wants to keep her current phone), and then sell that new phone on eBay. We would keep the renewed contract for the full 2 years, easily surpassing the 181 day requirement.

Would this result in the $250 charge from Amazon, or would I be fine since the contract itself wouldn't be modified, only the phone used on it would be...?
    07-18-09 11:29 PM
    I believe Amazon holds the release rights until their part is satisfied. I know Wirefly and many others do that.

So you wouldn't have a clean ESN and couldn't sell it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-19-09 01:23 AM
    Well the point would be that I'm getting a new phone for $0.01 that I can then turn around and sell on eBay for $325.

And yeah, that's a good point about the release rights and the clean ESN. Presumably then, if you buy a phone from Amazon, even if you aren't looking to sell it for a profit... say you buy a phone, and 1 month later you decide you don't like that particular phone, so you buy a new one and activate it. What do you do with the one you bought from Amazon? You wouldn't even be able to give the phone you bought on Amazon to your wife, or sell it, because it doesn't have a clean ESN?
    07-19-09 08:31 AM
    You can't do upgrades through Amazon, only new lines of service.
    07-19-09 09:09 AM
    Oh really? There is a link to click for the phone on their page if you are renewing, as opposed to doing a new contract.

But because of the ESN thing mentioned above, this presumably wouldn't even work for a new line of service, right?
    07-19-09 09:34 AM
    Oh really? There is a link to click for the phone on their page if you are renewing, as opposed to doing a new contract.

But because of the ESN thing mentioned above, this presumably wouldn't even work for a new line of service, right?
    I stand corrected... Apparently you can do an upgrade through Amazon now. It wasn't always possible.
    07-19-09 10:23 AM
    Not so much a scam, but if she wants a new phone, she will indeed feel a bit put out.

(If my husband used my line's upgrade without telling me, I know I'd be pretty darn angry...)
    07-20-09 03:33 AM
    This is not a scam in any way, shape, or form, and in fact Amazon has said this is possible and will not result in a charge. And my wife is fine with it. But there is the possibility that her phone breaks in the next year or two and then I will probably wish I hadn't done it. Oh well, now I know it's an option. Just a matter of whether I want to do it.
    07-20-09 01:12 PM
    I wouldn't do it unless you are in desperate need of the money. Things that fall under desperate need include but are not limited to:

1. Needing the money to prevent a hostile communist takeover.

2. Need of beer money.

3. Paying someone off so as to not have to see Hilary Clinton naked.

07-20-09 01:27 PM
    I wouldn't do it unless you are in desperate need of the money. Things that fall under desperate need include but are not limited to:

1. Needing the money to prevent a hostile communist takeover.

2. Need of beer money.

3. Paying someone off so as to not have to see Hilary Clinton naked.

LOL! We could probably start a whole new discussion just off your post!

07-20-09 04:55 PM
    You'll see how pointless yur scam is when she needs a new phone.

My GF did this before with her phone. When the ENV2 came out she had recently bought a phone for cheap off craigs and upgraded to the ENV2. She then just activated the old phone she was using and sold the ENV2 within the next week. But like stated above you have to have a plan for this.
    Last edited by blue_and_bold; 07-21-09 at 12:14 PM.
    07-21-09 08:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD