Hi, I have a Blackberry Storm 2 and it comes with a sim card. I know that only GSM phones can switch sim cards but on the verizon website it says that the storm is both CDMA and GSM. I've heard that you can use the verizon sim card in an unlocked phone and i've also heard that you cannot. I wanted to find out which was true.
    04-25-10 05:55 PM
    It is my understanding that the unlocked VZW device can be used on a GSM network. I have also been told by VZW personnel that an unlocked phone might cause your account to be subject to additional charges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-25-10 06:06 PM
    The Storm 2 can be used on GSM networks if it is unlocked and used with a SIM card from that network.

A device from another CDMA carrier cannot be used on Verizon. It must be a Verizon branded device. It doesn't matter if it is unlocked or not because Verizon doesn't use the GSM side of the device in the US.

But the fact that it is unlocked will not cause any issues with the device being used on the Verizon network in the US as long as it is a Verizon branded device. (And as long as the ESN is clear and the PIN isn't blocked, of course.)
    04-25-10 06:21 PM
    What if the ESN isnt clear? Would that be a result of the phone being used on a different network (at&t) previously?

I was given a phone by my friend (Storm 2) and she was using it on at&t. She activated the phone through at&t then gave it to me. Now that i called verizon to activate the phone, customer service stated the ESN # is on the lost/stolen list.
    04-27-10 07:55 PM
    What if the ESN isnt clear? Would that be a result of the phone being used on a different network (at&t) previously?

I was given a phone by my friend (Storm 2) and she was using it on at&t. She activated the phone through at&t then gave it to me. Now that i called verizon to activate the phone, customer service stated the ESN # is on the lost/stolen list.
    I might just be a good old paper weight then.
    04-27-10 07:59 PM
    No, using on another network would not cause the ESN to be blocked. Typically, ESNs are blocked for devices that are reported lost or stolen or for devices where the account still owes money.

See? That's what I said above. The fact that it was used on AT&T isn't the issue. The issue is that a previous owner fraudulently reported it lost or stolen and filed an insurance claim and then gave or sold the device to someone else for their use.

GSM carriers in the US typically do not block devices which is likely why it was able to be used on AT&T.

You are out of luck trying to use that device on Verizon, though.
    04-27-10 09:30 PM
    Wow great friend.
    04-28-10 02:42 AM
    Hi, I have a Blackberry Storm 2 and it comes with a sim card. I know that only GSM phones can switch sim cards but on the verizon website it says that the storm is both CDMA and GSM. I've heard that you can use the verizon sim card in an unlocked phone and i've also heard that you cannot. I wanted to find out which was true.
    The sim card in question will only work on GSM networks in countries where we have GSM roaming agreements. (In other words, you're out of luck in most of North America, with the exception of a few carribean islands.) So yeah, you can use it in an unlocked phone...if it's active and you're in Europe or something. :P
    04-28-10 03:51 PM
    The GSM side of the Tour 9630 can ABSOLUTELY without question be used on the United States and Canada with a SIM card from the respective GSM carrier (such as AT&T, TMobile, Rogers, and Fido).
    04-28-10 06:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD