or what needs to be done when an account holder passes away? My grandad passed away yesterday morning, wondering what needs done with Verizon.
    10-20-09 10:17 PM
    I am sorry to hear of your loss, Jim. My sincerest condolences.

The process to get this taken care of would best be answered by a VZW rep or by calling 611.

In the meantime, I am happy to give you a bump.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-20-09 11:37 PM
    I don't know either, and don't know that I've ever seen the issue come up here. I would surely think that passing away is a valid reason for ending a contract.

Best of luck on this, and my condolences to you and your family.
    10-20-09 11:39 PM
    I am so very sorry for your loss! My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Hopefully a VZW rep jumps in here soon.
    10-20-09 11:40 PM
    Sorry for your loss. My ex husband passed away a few months ago and my daughter had to take the death certificate into a verizon store. It just took a few minutes to enter into their computer and that took care of everything.

10-20-09 11:45 PM
    VZW should never require you to hand over a death certificate (unless policy has changed in the last two months).

If memory serves me correct, it used to be if the account HOLDER (primary line) passes away, then all lines on that account get to either adopt one of the lines as a primary, or everybody can cancel sans ETF as a one time courtesy. If it's an account USER (secondary line), only that line can be cancelled w/o ETF.

As I said, they didn't require a death certificate as of August '09, but that might have changed.

My condolences on your loss as well, Jim.
    10-20-09 11:56 PM
    Sorry to hear about your loss Jim. Fried Rice Mofo is correct - should never be asked to present a death certificate.

Just call in and let the rep know and they will take care of it from there. Everything will be verified through the appropriate channels.
    10-21-09 12:01 AM
    I've experienced several cases where a death certificate WAS needed to end a cell contract. Death certificates are the universally accepted document of proof for situations such as yours.

10-21-09 12:49 AM
    Thanks everyone for the support. Just thought I should add, its grandpa's name on the account. Grandma will still need the phone. There will either need to be an AOL to her, or I thought about switching to a family plan and picking up their line.

Will there be any issues with either one of those scenarios?
    10-21-09 10:30 AM
    20 bucks says Verizon asks for God's address so they can send out the ETF bill.
    10-21-09 10:31 AM
    From what I have known, we would need a death certificate.

Now that may be a store rule only, but I have seen instances where they say no.

My mother-in-law passed away two months ago, and everywhere her husband called to let them know asked for a death certificate.

The good news is that Im sure anyone will give you time to retrieve one, and may even credit any extra charges you incur while taking your time to grieve.
    10-21-09 10:55 AM
    So for your loss. You should have no issues at all.

10-21-09 11:26 AM
    Picking up her line would probably be a good way to go. Shouldn't be any issues

10-21-09 11:58 AM
    When my ex husband died he was the only one on his account. He lived in Ohio, my daughter lived in NY but was is IN for the funeral. When she called they said to take the death certificate into any verizon store that was convienent. She did it here in IN. They just needed to see the d cert they didn't keep it. There were no charges or anything said about his bill that hadn't been paid due to he was the only one on the account.

10-21-09 02:04 PM
    Sorry for your loss. My ex husband passed away a few months ago and my daughter had to take the death certificate into a verizon store. It just took a few minutes to enter into their computer and that took care of everything.

Yes, im sorry for both of your losses but as of about 7 months ago a death certificate is not required. Just call customer service and they will be able to help you out the best that they can. Please be patient with them because there are procedures that have to be done in instances such as this. Again, im very sorry that both of you lost loved ones.
    10-21-09 02:35 PM
    20 bucks says Verizon asks for God's address so they can send out the ETF bill.
    Why would you say something so stupid and inconsiderate? If it was a joke, it was totally inappropriate and not funny 1 bit.
    10-21-09 02:36 PM
    Why would you say something so stupid and inconsiderate? If it was a joke, it was totally inappropriate and not funny 1 bit.
    +11111
    Very sorry for your loss. In my experience providing a death certificate resolves, very quickly, any issues you might encounter. VZW takes account security very seriously so I'd imagine that you'll have to produce that if you go to a corp store. The best advice I've heard is to call *611, explain the situation to the rep, and let them tell you the easiest way to deal with this issue during this difficult time for your family.
    10-21-09 02:41 PM
    From policy:

"If... the Account Owner is reported as deceased... Then... all lines on the account qualify to have the ETF waived."

"A Death Certificate or obituary is not required to have the ETF waived."

So you should have no problems getting this taken care of... Whether in store or over the phone, they can accomodate...

Sorry for the loss...
    10-21-09 05:46 PM
    From policy:

"If... the Account Owner is reported as deceased... Then... all lines on the account qualify to have the ETF waived."

"A Death Certificate or obituary is not required to have the ETF waived."

So you should have no problems getting this taken care of... Whether in store or over the phone, they can accomodate...

Sorry for the loss...
    So according to this "policy" anyone could get out of their contract just by reporting their own fake demise? Seems sorta half-arse by Verizon to allow this. Most businesses want proof (death certificate)to avoid any fraud.

10-21-09 07:00 PM
    So according to this "policy" anyone could get out of their contract just by reporting their own fake demise? Seems sorta half-arse by Verizon to allow this. Most businesses want proof (death certificate)to avoid any fraud.

No actually not.. It is verified through a national database.

10-21-09 07:09 PM
    No actually not.. It is verified through a national database.
    Hmmm, interesting. Does Google have anything to do with this database?

Last edited by cenloe; 10-21-09 at 07:28 PM.
    10-21-09 07:20 PM
    The only information required per policy for death/terminal ilness, is the name and relationship of who is calling,and to advise them that the estate does have the bill for charges up till disconnect but no etf is charged. No death certificate required,just note who is callingand where to send the fianl bill for the estate.

And the the OP,sorry to hear about your loss. My thoughts to you and your family inthis trying time.

00smurf
    10-21-09 08:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD