Alright so I need an answer quick, verizon help lines are seriously no good, and just disappoint me.

ANyways. will i be able to get international data on my blackberry tour before I go to canada?
    03-29-11 06:13 PM
    If you have an international Data plan then yes. But if Verizon is anything like ATT, then the international is automatically permitted at least to Canada. The rates may not be as expensive as other countries but Verizon should be able to answer these questions.
    03-29-11 06:29 PM
    International Roaming

Something you might wanna check out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-11 06:46 PM
    International Roaming

Something you might wanna check out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Yeah I know. I am wondering about data not roaming. I see global data however i dont see the tour under the capable phones. I dont know if this is just because they stopped manufacturing it or what?
    03-29-11 06:53 PM
    The tour is a world phone so there should be no problem. As far as roaming etc. I don't have a clue.
    03-29-11 06:54 PM
    The tour is a world phone so there should be no problem. As far as roaming etc. I don't have a clue.
    Alright thanks. I called verizon again, and this rep was actually useful. They dont have tour listed as a global phone because its not on the market.
    03-29-11 07:07 PM
    The Tour was replaced by the Bold, BUT the global features are VERY similar. Yes it can use data internationally, with or without a plan, and WITHOUT a plan can be VERY expensive. You also have the option of getting the phone unlocked and using a prepaid SIM (WITH DATA, which are tough to find), BUT you phone number would change, and it can be a hassle especially if you are only going for a short time. You might be better off getting the global data plan and then canceling when you return, and you ONLY play for the part of the month you used.
    03-29-11 07:40 PM
    The Tour was replaced by the Bold, BUT the global features are VERY similar. Yes it can use data internationally, with or without a plan, and WITHOUT a plan can be VERY expensive. You also have the option of getting the phone unlocked and using a prepaid SIM (WITH DATA, which are tough to find), BUT you phone number would change, and it can be a hassle especially if you are only going for a short time. You might be better off getting the global data plan and then canceling when you return, and you ONLY play for the part of the month you used.

Yeah I was highly considering the option of unlocking, and paying for a prepaid plan. However I decided since my stay in Toronto was 8 days, I would be spending $20 more unlocking than just purchasing the global data for 75 mb.

Break down-
    Unlock Code- $16
    Lowest Blackberry Plan offered by Rogers- $40

Global Data
    +$30 for 75 MB of international data
    03-29-11 08:22 PM
    Actually you should be able to get the Tour unlocked for free from Verizon, they MAY try to talk you out of it, BUT you are entitled to the service provided you are a customer in good standing and you have not had another device unlocked this year. You will also be asked to agree to a waiver of rights, that Verizon not be responsible for any damage you do to the device from using another SIM. (which won't happen)
    03-29-11 08:27 PM
    I would recommend going with a Verizon global data plan cause Rogers $40 is quite a bit, but it includes Unlimited local calls between 3pm and 6pm, unlimited Canadian text and either social networking or emails. There is no browsing with any of Rogers prepaid plans

Depends on how much you will be using your phone for calling and for BIS data functions
    03-29-11 08:32 PM
    Actually you should be able to get the Tour unlocked for free from Verizon, they MAY try to talk you out of it, BUT you are entitled to the service provided you are a customer in good standing and you have not had another device unlocked this year. You will also be asked to agree to a waiver of rights, that Verizon not be responsible for any damage you do to the device from using another SIM. (which won't happen)
    This is interesting. Can i do this via the automated system?

I would recommend going with a Verizon global data plan cause Rogers $40 is quite a bit, but it includes Unlimited local calls between 3pm and 6pm, unlimited Canadian text and either social networking or emails. There is no browsing with any of Rogers prepaid plans

Depends on how much you will be using your phone for calling and for BIS data functions
    Yeah thats what I was thinking because I dont know how I would keep intouch with my cousin with whom I am staying with
    03-29-11 08:33 PM
    You have to call to get the unlock code. But Verizon will likely give it to your for free as long as your account has been in good standing for the required amount of time.

Regardless, don't pay $16 for it. That's a ridiculous amount.

And in any event, even if you go with Verizon's global plan, you probably will have to get the device unlocked unless Verizon has roaming agreements with CDMA carrier's in Canada.
    03-29-11 08:39 PM
    You have to call to get the unlock code. But Verizon will likely give it to your for free as long as your account has been in good standing for the required amount of time.

Regardless, don't pay $16 for it. That's a ridiculous amount.

And in any event, even if you go with Verizon's global plan, you probably will have to get the device unlocked unless Verizon has roaming agreements with CDMA carrier's in Canada.
    Telus has roaming agreements with Verizon, so it should be vice versa. I think. SO the OP should be fine
    03-29-11 10:44 PM
    Actually you should be able to get the Tour unlocked for free from Verizon, they MAY try to talk you out of it, BUT you are entitled to the service provided you are a customer in good standing and you have not had another device unlocked this year.
    They try to talk people out of it? Since when?
    03-29-11 11:24 PM
    Yeah I was highly considering the option of unlocking, and paying for a prepaid plan. However I decided since my stay in Toronto was 8 days, I would be spending $20 more unlocking than just purchasing the global data for 75 mb.

Break down-
    Unlock Code- $16
    Lowest Blackberry Plan offered by Rogers- $40

Global Data
    +$30 for 75 MB of international data
    Even if you get the higher plan, 100.00 for 200 MB's, it's still cheaper for the 8 days that you use it since it's prorated. But VzW will unlock the SIM for you for free.
    03-29-11 11:26 PM

Break down-
    Unlock Code- $16
    hmm hmm... 8... hmm 25... crackberry..
    04-11-11 10:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD