I may be able to get a blackberry curve 8330 for work, but my work uses ATT's network. If I remember correctly, ATT uses SIM chips (because Cingular used to) to store user account setup info along with personal address and data. Is that the case?

If it is, where can I swap the ATT BB for a Verizon BB?

Essentially what I don't want is to have my cellphone on VZN and my work BB on ATT... just way too much to carry around. I'd much rather use my VZN's network and my number.
    05-22-08 02:23 PM
    OK, first of all, an 8330 is the CDMA Curve and it's not available on any GSM carrier. The GSM Curves have other model numbers.

Second, no, the two radio technologies are not compatible. VZW is CDMA and ATT is GSM.
    05-22-08 02:27 PM
    OK, first of all, an 8330 is the CDMA Curve and it's not available on any GSM carrier. The GSM Curves have other model numbers.

Second, no, the two radio technologies are not compatible. VZW is CDMA and ATT is GSM.
    NO... NO... NO.. and NO, it's like trying to mix oil with water. Gotta keep your GSM separate from your CDMA, bad mix!
    05-22-08 02:50 PM
    Ok, good stuff to know.

So then how would you suggest swapping a GSM BB for a CDMA BB so that I can continue using VZN? I don't readily imagine seeing VZN accepting trades. Is there a site beyond Craigslist that I could post my GSM BB to swap with a CDMA BB?
    05-22-08 02:56 PM
    Uhh isn't your office going to wonder where the $400 blackberry they bought went?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-08 03:29 PM
    Sell your GSM phone here at the Market Place http://forums.crackberry.com/f14/
    Or on eBay and buy a Curve from verizon, not Sprint, but Verizon.
    05-22-08 03:32 PM
    Uhh isn't your office going to wonder where the $400 blackberry they bought went?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I'll let them know what's going on, this isn't behind the scenes... just my hangup of not wanting to carry two devices around.
    05-22-08 03:54 PM
    BlackBerry has a trade-up program where you can send in old (or in your case new) BlackBerry phones and receive credit towards a new one. You'd probably get a pretty cheap phone if you send in a brand new one. That'd be easier in my opinion than trying to sell it.

BlackBerry Trade Up Program
    05-22-08 10:45 PM
    Maybe you can work out a deal with your employer that lets you buy a VZW Curve with your own money and your IT dept. will set it up to work with their enterprise system?

Another option is to forward your personal calls and email to your company account. Even better, see if IT will let you add your personal email account to their provided Blackberry.

Still though, if your personal stuff goes through their BES system, personal isn't private, they can still sniff through it if they want to. The only way around that is to carry another device, I'm afraid.

Essentially what I don't want is to have my cellphone on VZN
    If you just want your own voice account, you might think about buying one of Verizon's little handsets and keep it in your pocket for personal calls and texts that will bypass your company altogether. They have a number of very small voice phones now that aren't very expensive so you might want to look into that.

Personally, if I wasn't self employed I would definitely go that route. I wouldn't want my corporate overlords to know what I was doing with my personal communications.

TIP: Don't let them know you have your own cell phone, it's none of their business. If you don't respond to a company call on the BB on your off time you have a degree of plausible deniability because they provided the device and are responsible for it to work. If they have your personal digits and can't reach you on that either, that can be a problem. It was for me the last time I had an actual job!
    05-23-08 03:28 AM
    TIP: Don't let them know you have your own cell phone, it's none of their business. If you don't respond to a company call on the BB on your off time you have a degree of plausible deniability because they provided the device and are responsible for it to work. If they have your personal digits and can't reach you on that either, that can be a problem. It was for me the last time I had an actual job!
    Damn... that's a good point about being contacted. I didn't lend much thought as to being called on my personal number for work. I was focused on email only carrying one device. Hmmmm.....
    05-23-08 12:12 PM
    that trade-up program isn't very good. You could sell your old phone on Ebay and get a better price for it. (in my opinion)
    05-29-08 12:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD