Hello, All --

My wife and I are on the Verizon Family Share Plan. She has the Tour, with her contract being up about 60 days from now. She loves her Tour and has no interest in upgrading anytime soon. Is it possible for me to use her upgrade? Would it be a matter of buying the phone on her line, then changing the number to my line and then reacting her current number back to her Tour or is there any way to accomplish this?

I have the Storm 1 and am hoping to get the Bold9650/Tour 2 when in comes in (hopefully) a couple of months.

Thanks!
    03-14-10 06:57 PM
    Yes. You can do that. All you have to do is upgrade her phone line. Then when you get the ne phone all you have to do is call or go to a vzw store and they will be able to swap the phone lines for you.
    03-14-10 07:21 PM
    I agree. Im on AT&T, but I use my kid's lines to upgrade all the time.
    03-14-10 08:07 PM
    Yup, they will do it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-14-10 10:38 PM
    They can do it, it's called an alternate upgrade. I did this back in November when I got the S2. My dad's line has been up for an upgrade since 2006 ( he has had the same dumb phone since 2004!). I knew he wouldn't upgrade anytime soon, and with my actual upgrade in January, I knew that if something happened there would be a line to upgrade for him and I have a few old dumb phones hanging around for emergencies.
    You have to go to the store (I have heard of some people calling CS) and tell them you want to do an alternate upgrade and all they will do is take the upgrade from your wife's line and activate it for your line. Her contract will be extended another 2 years. But if something happens a little later to her phone, she will be able to use your line for an alternate upgrade when your line is up for one.
    Hope this helps.
    03-15-10 01:31 PM
    Can this be done online? I have an aversion to going to my local Verizon store and dealing with their reps. I would prefer to just order it online and save the hassle. If I order an upgrade to my wife's phone, but when it arrives, activate it on my line will that work? Will it keep my current end date on my line and just extend her's out 2 years?

Or do I really need to talk to a rep to make this kind of swap?

Thanks,
    Mike
    04-21-10 11:04 AM
    Can this be done online? I have an aversion to going to my local Verizon store and dealing with their reps. I would prefer to just order it online and save the hassle. If I order an upgrade to my wife's phone, but when it arrives, activate it on my line will that work? Will it keep my current end date on my line and just extend her's out 2 years?

Or do I really need to talk to a rep to make this kind of swap?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Yes, you can do it yourself. You can order the new device and activate it on your wife's line. Then reactivate her old device and activate the new phone on your line. This will extend your wife's date, but not yours. You can activate new phones on your line at any time without extending your contract. It is very easy to do online.
    04-21-10 12:09 PM
    yes,,you can do it
    04-21-10 12:17 PM
    One last stupid question. Since my wife has a dumb phone, when I order the 9650 (please, please come out soon), I assume I'm going to have to add the BB data plan to her line. When I reactivate her old phone, is there any issue with then dropping the data plan (i.e. no penalties)?
    04-21-10 05:16 PM
    No, there won't be any issues mrtrelease. I just did exactly that when I used my moms line to upgrade to my 8530. She has my old enV. All that you'll see is a prorated charge for the bb data plan. One day shouldn't even be a dollar difference. No biggie.

04-22-10 12:09 AM
    No, there won't be any issues mrtrelease. I just did exactly that when I used my moms line to upgrade to my 8530. She has my old enV. All that you'll see is a prorated charge for the bb data plan. One day shouldn't even be a dollar difference. No biggie.

Cool...thank you so much. Now if the 9650 would be released already, I'd be a happy man...getting tired of my 8330, plus have a bet ridding on the release happening before 6/1.
    04-22-10 09:33 AM
    yes it can be done and it's called gifting i think. sprint won't allow that but verizon will let their customers use another lines upgrade if it's in the 2 year mark for an upgrade
    04-26-10 06:46 AM
    Yes you can do that.
    04-29-10 08:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD