I became a verizon wireless customer in May 2008 and my husband & I have the 700 min. family share plan for 69.99 + 9.99 for an extra line. My ultimate plan is to get a Blackberry tour and I'm trying to find a way to upgrade now. My 20-month early upgrade is not until January 2010.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade to a higher-priced family share plan (1,400 mins. for 2 lines for $89.99) as of now and be eligible to get the Blackberry Tour at the introductory price for new 2-year contracts?

Thank you for your help.
    07-21-09 12:01 PM
    Doubt it, but you can always call in to CSR and see what they can do for you, January is pretty far away normally like 60 days early they can make happen but 6+ months not so much
    07-21-09 12:06 PM
    Yea, you can upgrade your plan, but trying to get the Tour that early I doubt you will be able to. If you upgrade to a higher priced plan right now that won't affect your upgrade date for the Tour, so you will still be able to get it in January.
    07-21-09 12:08 PM
    i think as long as you get a nice CSR on the phone or in the store OR you are very nice to a CSR, you can get almost anything done . . . and no business wants to lose customers to a competitor so it won't hurt to ask.
    07-21-09 12:12 PM
    If your the primary line I believe you can do a two year discount online only. After a year

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-09 12:22 PM
    Yeah and a lot of times they would rather lock you into another 2 yr than you saying well i can pay the etf for 175 and go get an iphone today for the price of the tour... I would try something along those lines for some reason CSR 's will cringe at the word iphone or another carrier name
    07-21-09 12:27 PM
    I became a verizon wireless customer in May 2008 and my husband & I have the 700 min. family share plan for 69.99 + 9.99 for an extra line. My ultimate plan is to get a Blackberry tour and I'm trying to find a way to upgrade now. My 20-month early upgrade is not until January 2010.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade to a higher-priced family share plan (1,400 mins. for 2 lines for $89.99) as of now and be eligible to get the Blackberry Tour at the introductory price for new 2-year contracts?

Thank you for your help.
    I updated my plan a couple of months ago and my clock for a new phone did not change.
    07-21-09 01:22 PM
    Then you didnt upgrade? What do you mean you upgraded but your upgrade date didnt change.
    07-21-09 01:26 PM

You can upgrade or downgrade your plan at any time without affecting the length of your contract. However, because it doesn't change the length of your contract, it doesn't affect your timeline to upgrade.

You may be able to upgrade the primary line via annual upgrade. You should be able to re-sign a two-year agreement on the primary line and get the Tour at the promotional price. You may also be charged an upgrade fee.
    Last edited by ericsmcdonald; 07-21-09 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Punctuation
    07-21-09 01:47 PM
    Your plan contract & your upgrade date are not tied. Changing your plan, as long as it is NE2 eligible, will not affect your NE2.

So you will not get the NE2 credit yet, but you can get the online discount price, which believe right now is $199.99 or so.

IMHO, this price is about $100 too much for what the Tour is capable of, but what it is worth to you may be different.

VZW does not charge upgrade fees. They leave that to Sprint.

07-21-09 02:21 PM
    Really? When I went to get my Storm in November, they told me it would be a $30-35 early upgrade fee ... that got waived because of my corporate discount.

I'm happy they don't charge upgrade fees, though it makes me wonder what they were trying to charge me.

I also love corporate discounts
    07-21-09 02:25 PM
    Really? When I went to get my Storm in November, they told me it would be a $30-35 early upgrade fee ... that got waived because of my corporate discount.

I'm happy they don't charge upgrade fees, though it makes me wonder what they were trying to charge me.

I also love corporate discounts
    There is a $35 line activation fee, but I was not aware they charge that for just a new phone.

I know even that line activation fee is waived when ordering online. If I were to ever actually order a phone, I'd do it online anyway. I avoid the stores like John Bobbitt avoids Lorena.

07-21-09 02:34 PM
    Yeah! ....
    07-21-09 04:10 PM

I was told I would have to pay a $20 early upgrade fee since we have not met the 20-month requirement.
    07-21-09 04:29 PM
    A lot of people get told a lot of things just call CSR and talk to someone see what they can do for you a lot of times the situation ends a lot better than first thought.
    07-21-09 04:31 PM
    I was told I would have to pay a $20 early upgrade fee since we have not met the 20-month requirement.
    From a VZW corp store or from an authorized retailer?

Go online - log into MyVerizon. Choose the link to upgrade your phone. The current online discount for the Tour is $70.

You can see all fees before finalizing the transaction. I would bet the final is less online.

07-21-09 04:54 PM
    From a VZW corp store or from an authorized retailer?
    Just an FYI Twins ... the upgrade fee I was referring to was charged by a corporate store. My corporate discount wiped it out, but that's what they will charge at the store if you upgrade before your 2-year upgrade date.

I've never upgraded online, so I don't know about the fees there. While I find shopping online so much easier, I normally am so excited for the new device, I cannot wait even the free overnight shipping I have to have it now now now!
    07-21-09 05:19 PM
    There is a $20 fee for eligible early upgrades unless the account is VIP.
    Wow - those dirty crooks.

When did they start this?

07-21-09 07:32 PM
    And I don't think I qualify as a VIP since my monthly calling plan is less than $79.99 per month. I was told about the $20 early upgrade fee from a CSR from both the store and by calling.

I called again today and later found out that you will be charged the $20 fee if you complete the transaction over the phone or in a store. It is waived if the transaction is done online.
    07-22-09 12:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD