08-19-09 06:02 AM
86 ... 234
tools
    3gigs in 9days!! You must have been bored visiting family I am curious the answer to this as well. I am going to Vegas for 6days next week and was thinking of adding this to my plan for a week. Since my hotel wants $14.00 a day for WIFI.

A few months back I added a TXT message package 250 for $5.00month and since I added it in the middle of the month they prorated the price to like $4.20 but they also prorated the TXT messages to around 220. And then messages over 220 were charged at $.20 per.

My guess is they will do the same thing with this and prorate the data allotment even though you are supposed to being paying for "Unlimited Data" with a cap at 5 gigs. Which to me seems different than paying Per TXT or Per Minute for Voice

Kinetics what happened in your case??

I think for me I am going to call Verizon and see if I can get the try it for a month FREE option and then cancel it before the month is up. But how they bill this would be good information for my next trip.

But doesn't your allotment of data get prorated as well?

For example 5 Gb/month allowance.

5 day prorate = 1 GB

Any data above 1GB gets charged at the overage price?

Just wondering because I added the tethering option when visiting the family for the holidays and used about 3 GB in 9 days. Wondering if I should remove the plan now to get the prorated price or call them to have it back dated to the beginning of the billing cycle so I don't go over the prorated data allotment.
    Last edited by NasaRacer; 02-05-09 at 03:40 AM.
    02-05-09 03:35 AM
    There is a product out there called SharkModem that does it, but you do have to buy the software.

You can grab a free trial of it here.

MobiShark Online Blackberry Store: Shark Modem Application
    And how does this get the user around a tethering charge?
    02-05-09 12:38 PM
    3gigs in 9days!! You must have been bored visiting family
    I was VERY bored visiting the folks. Only child so no brothers/sisters to play with. My parents are very frugal so no cable TV, only broadcast channels, and only dial-up. Most of the data was spent streaming from Hulu.

Plus they live in the Pacific NW so it rained every day I was there. I'm so thankful for living in sunny SoCal now.

My guess is they will do the same thing with this and prorate the data allotment even though you are supposed to being paying for "Unlimited Data" with a cap at 5 gigs. Which to me seems different than paying Per TXT or Per Minute for Voice

Kinetics what happened in your case??
    You're right. Any time you add on a package, the cost of the package will be prorated. The down side is that your allotment (txt, data, minutes, etc.) is also prorated.

My way around it was to call them and have the tether add-on added and backdated to the first day of my billing cycle. I got charged the full $30/month on top of my regular BIS data plan, but I also got the full 5gb allowance. You can have them backdate anything as long as the billing cycle hasn't closed. It's much harder to do once it has ended though.
    Last edited by KINetics; 02-05-09 at 12:57 PM.
    02-05-09 12:53 PM
    Cool thanks KINnetics. Still seems like a good deal for you and anyone for that occassional vacation. If I pay for WIFI at my hotel it is going to be $70 for 5days. Why is that too. Cheap hotels offer free WIFI and fancy ones gouge you like this.

But if I do 7days of Verizon Tethering around $7.00 and prorated DATA would give me around 170mb a day which is fine for what I will need if for. Light Browsing and Email for other people in my party.

Would be nice if Verizon had some sort of reasonable "Pay as You Go" tethering. With the $30 price over BIS rate you pay only $.006 per megabyte for the first 5gigs but then after that it is goes sky high at $.25 per megabyte. So basically Big Red is waiting around for you to blow through your 5gigs so they can stick it to you. Not that I am shocked. But is scary when we keep getting less and less competition in the wireless market.

Okay I will get off my soap box now.
    02-05-09 05:31 PM
    I just checked out mobishark, and its way cool. Connects without any sort of effort.
    02-05-09 05:32 PM
    I just checked out mobishark, and its way cool. Connects without any sort of effort.
    A few things worry me about Mobishark.

1) You are violating your TOS with Verizon, and they can notice that especially if you start using a lots DATA tethered.

2) If they do they could really stick it to you with charges. Who knows what is in the fine print of the contracts we all have with Verizon.

3) Verizon or other carries could take action to stop MobiShark from working leaving you with a worthless $49.00 piece of software.

4) Some people have said Mobishark has techincal issues. And certain ports and applications don't work with it.

5) I am curious about a Speed comparison Mobishark versus VZAccess.
    02-05-09 05:54 PM
    just wondering if anyone has had any continued sucsess with vzw and mobishark?
    05-24-09 10:48 PM
    id also like to see a speed comparison.
    05-25-09 12:41 AM
    Has anyone used Tetherberry? Noticed they have it for mac now. I would like to have it on the occasion where I cannot get on free WiFi or where a hotel is going to kill you with a high usage charge. I don't want to pay $30 per month.

Previously I would connect for a few days and then call Verizon to cancel the tethering. It would be a $1 per day but it is pain if you forget to call for a week or two. Looking for an alternative.

VZW should just charge per day and they'd probably end up making more money. For instance, if I'm away for a week they'd get $1 out of me for every day I logged on via tethering (Bluetooth via my Mac). I can tell you that over the course of a year they'd probably get at least $100 extra from me. I bet other's would be the same. I just don't want to pay $360 a year for a service I'm not going to use that often.
    08-18-09 09:33 PM
    Well by the age of this thread it looks like you tried using the search tool lol. But keep on searching and basically...no, dont use tetherberry. There have been people with bills much higher in 1 month that you think you would spend in a year. It is against all carriers TOS.
    08-18-09 11:13 PM
    LOL. Thanks smachart. I do try to search. I figured as much. I guess I will keep doing what I have beeb doing and calling to turn it off when not using.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-19-09 06:02 AM
86 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD