08-19-09 05:02 AM
86 1234
tools
    WOW! nothing like coming and telling us that you want want to steal serivce. Kind of walking up to a cop and saying hi officer, I just robbed a bank.

I will tell you that back in the day. Prior to explosion of data and mainly with regular types of cell phones could tether and use minutes to do so. It would be free on nights and weekends and the carrier could not tell. Today they can and if caught will shut off your service.

It is kind of hard for VZW that has a department of folks that watch for this, among other things to watch all 67 million customers. I have taken calls from customers asking why they can no longer tether or browse with a modem or PC card.
    Easy cap'n jack. I didn't say I was stealing ANYTHING, or that I would if I could. I pay for my service thank you very much. I was just saying that like, I'm already paying $30 for unlimited data on their network I don't see how it makes much of a difference whether it's through my phone or tethered. But if they insist on milking us for another $30 then so be it.

It is very unfortunate that the 8330 is only Rev.0 Oh well...
    07-27-08 02:11 PM
    Easy cap'n jack. I didn't say I was stealing ANYTHING, or that I would if I could. I pay for my service thank you very much. I was just saying that like, I'm already paying $30 for unlimited data on their network I don't see how it makes much of a difference whether it's through my phone or tethered. But if they insist on milking us for another $30 then so be it.

It is very unfortunate that the 8330 is only Rev.0 Oh well...
    AH original post seemed that way, I now understand your concern.

The reason for this is that if the device was not able to tether and you needed to have internet service, then you would have to buy another line of service and an aircard or modem at 59.99 per month. This way, since you have a deivce already and do not need that, then VZW only charges the difference between your data plan and the cost of another data plan. In the long run, you actually save money this way.

I do understand that you already have a data plan, this for the device. Tethering while it uses data, is limited to 5gb per month just like a modem would be, and the BB device data is unlim.

For the REV 0, up until the release of the MOTO 750 and Gzone Boulder, both PTT phones, there are no other VZW phones that are REV A at this time.

Hope this helps.
    07-27-08 03:14 PM
    Just called. 5GB broadband connect is $15 extra
    07-27-08 08:00 PM
    Do you have the $44.99 or the $29.99 data plan?
    07-27-08 08:08 PM
    Just called back and got the BBA connect option added for when I go on vacation this week. He confirmed it was a $15 addon and I currently have the 29.99 data package.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

EDIT: So I've done a little testing and the best speeds I'm really showing are about 250kbps down, 100kbps up. I guess it's OK for Rev.0 but it's what I would expect from a bluetooth tether. I wish it was as easy to tether via USB and mac.

EDIT2: I loaded my windows vista VM, installed the included VZAccess software and connected a 3/4 bars signal and was able to get a 600kbps down, 130kbps up test. That's pretty good considering the max for Rev.0 is 700kbps I believe.
    Last edited by cwake16; 07-27-08 at 09:09 PM.
    07-27-08 08:42 PM
    REv 0 shouldaverage 400-700 kbps, but it can go slower depending on many variables. I will check on the $15 this monday at work. If he was able to add it and it works...AWSOME!
    07-27-08 09:10 PM
    Hello again, here is my features list just to confirm I don't already have the $44.99 plan.

TEC INSURANCE
    Caller ID
    IP UNRESTRICTED
    UNL PICTURE/VIDEO MSG
    BBA CONNECT 5GB/$.25MB
    Streamlined Billing
    Call Forwarding
    NATLACCESS ROAMING PAYU
    EMAIL & WEB FOR BLACKBERRY

2 different phone reps both recognized the $15 addon so you should have luck as well.

-Caleb
    07-27-08 09:18 PM
    I believe you. Unless they made a recent change I do not know about yet. Been off for two days. They change things evey ten minutes there Enjoy
    07-27-08 09:24 PM
    Update: I've successfully tethered my curve to my mac via USB and at 3/4 bars this is my result.

Not bad for Rev.0 I would say? Download seems a bit high...strange.
    07-28-08 02:46 AM
    For the REV 0, up until the release of the MOTO 750 and Gzone Boulder, both PTT phones, there are no other VZW phones that are REV A at this time.
    Officially support by VZW, no.

However, the 6800 and the HTC Touch can be made Rev. A capable with the hacked ROMs created by the guys over at XDA Developers. If I remember correctly, the hacked ROM also unlocks the GPS on the 6800 to be used with programs like google maps.
    07-28-08 11:58 AM
    Officially support by VZW, no.
    Better check again these two phones are supported by VZW
    07-28-08 04:38 PM
    Hello again, here is my features list just to confirm I don't already have the $44.99 plan.

TEC INSURANCE
    Caller ID
    IP UNRESTRICTED
    UNL PICTURE/VIDEO MSG
    BBA CONNECT 5GB/$.25MB
    Streamlined Billing
    Call Forwarding
    NATLACCESS ROAMING PAYU
    EMAIL & WEB FOR BLACKBERRY

2 different phone reps both recognized the $15 addon so you should have luck as well.

-Caleb
    Here is offical notification via VZW - It has changed once again in the past couple of weeks. BBA connect pricing AKA Tether

$15 - on a Smartphone or BlackBerry device with voice and unlimited data ($44.99) feature or Nationwide Email Calling Plan

$30 - on a Smartphone or Blackberry device with the Email & Web for BlackBerry ($29.99) or Email & Web for Smartphone feature or Unlimited VZEmail Plan only

$59.99 - on a BBAC capable handset with a voice plan. Mobile Office Kit (MOK) or Music & Wireless Internet Kit sold separately which includes VZAccess Manager Software, drivers, and USB connector cable
    Note: All BBAC pricing options have a 5 GB allowance with $.25/MB overage
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-28-08 at 04:43 PM.
    07-28-08 04:41 PM
    An improvement I guess. Update the Curve to Rev.A and I'm in!

Now if they could just make that clear without having to jump through hoops on their web site and pretend you're buying a new phone, they might get some takers anyway! Why they have to obfuscate the nuts and bolts of their plans until you start an order is...ridiculous.
    07-29-08 04:18 AM
    An improvement I guess. Update the Curve to Rev.A and I'm in!

Now if they could just make that clear without having to jump through hoops on their web site and pretend you're buying a new phone, they might get some takers anyway! Why they have to obfuscate the nuts and bolts of their plans until you start an order is...ridiculous.
    Maybe you should try searching their website.

I typed in "BBAC" to search, clicked the first link, went to "How much does it cost?" and there was a chart.
    Connect
    07-29-08 08:38 AM
    Better check again these two phones are supported by VZW
    I was referring to the Rev. A functionality of the phones not being supported.

That is unless Verizon has released their official ROM to make it Rev. A capable. I haven't been tracking it that closely.
    07-29-08 10:46 AM
    Here is offical notification via VZW - It has changed once again in the past couple of weeks. BBA connect pricing AKA Tether

$15 - on a Smartphone or BlackBerry device with voice and unlimited data ($44.99) feature or Nationwide Email Calling Plan

$30 - on a Smartphone or Blackberry device with the Email & Web for BlackBerry ($29.99) or Email & Web for Smartphone feature or Unlimited VZEmail Plan only

$59.99 - on a BBAC capable handset with a voice plan. Mobile Office Kit (MOK) or Music & Wireless Internet Kit sold separately which includes VZAccess Manager Software, drivers, and USB connector cable
    Note: All BBAC pricing options have a 5 GB allowance with $.25/MB overage
    So you're saying it doesn't make sense for me to be getting it at $15? lol. Seeing as I don't have the $44.99 plan...

And by the way they currently are (were?) running a promo that you get the first month of BBA connect free. So basically, I signed up for a month to use on vacation and it's not gonna end up costing me
    07-29-08 03:20 PM
    So you're saying it doesn't make sense for me to be getting it at $15? lol. Seeing as I don't have the $44.99 plan...

And by the way they currently are (were?) running a promo that you get the first month of BBA connect free. So basically, I signed up for a month to use on vacation and it's not gonna end up costing me
    Yep- my bad guess that one slipped my mind. Enjoy it, as it a nice service to have.
    07-29-08 05:08 PM
    Indeed I am on the road now (not driving, of course) on the way somewhere to test what I can expect when I go on vacation. At 70MPH I got about (downKbps/upKbps) 500/100 which to be honest is amazing. Sometimes I am amazed this technology is even possible to transfer data at 10x dialup while moving at a decent rate of speed.
    07-29-08 07:00 PM
    Thats the network. Speeds of course go up and down. This speed is within advertised rates for the rev 0 network. 400-700 kbps avg.
    Last edited by lastraid; 07-30-08 at 04:40 PM.
    07-29-08 07:05 PM
    Maybe you should try searching their website.

I typed in "BBAC" to search, clicked the first link, went to "How much does it cost?" and there was a chart.
    Connect
    How many people know what "BBAC" is? Rhetorical question, the answer is not many.

If you use their site like most people use any e-commerce site, you never know what all your options are until you start the order process. It's just poor site design with a little bait and switch thrown in for extra measure.
    07-30-08 03:27 AM
    Got my account change confirmation letter in the mail today confirming I added the bba connect. It shows my features and everything on the back...bba connect is listed as $30 extra instead of the $15 which I was quoted twice and reassured when I asked, just before adding it over the phone. Standard verizon shenanigans.

08-07-08 01:27 AM
    nope, but when you add the VZAccess, you can get 1 month free of tethering to try it out. Even though it will ask you to add the $30 month package, add it, and look on your account @ verizonwireless.com and it will show the BB AC UNLIM 1MO FREE.

Thats what i did.
    08-07-08 06:02 AM
    If Verizon reps on the phone tell you its $15/mo to add tethering feature, they are not or they don't know the whole story.

If you have Email & Web for Blackberry, its $30/mo for tethering = $59.99
    If you have Unlimited BBA for BES, its $15/mo for tethering = $59.99

I've had both combinations for atleast a month in the past, and the bill supports it. So, next time a rep tells you $15, don't jump on it. Tell them to go figure out the actual pricing and talk to you when they know their stuff.

And btw, the tethering feature can be added anytime, like if you run into emergency for internet! Keep the VZAccess Manager installed on your laptop, keep a USB cable. When you need it, just connect. Try to visit any website, and a Verizon page will load asking if you want to add it to your plan. Add it, use it, maybe you only need it for a 5-6 day trip. When you come back, call them and cancel it. Verizon will prorate the feature for only the days you've had it.

Tethering hack will not work on 8330. Whatever the software hack, Verizon network will still detect you don't have a plan, and throw you on a sign up page. Its like hacking a feature on your Wireless LAN card, when the network you're gonna access is a paid-per-access network in an airport, so its gonna block you anyway. You're hacking the wrong thing. This is only possible if someone can hack your account with Verizon, but I doubt thats possible and can keep you out of prison if it is.
    01-05-09 03:35 AM
    Add it, use it, maybe you only need it for a 5-6 day trip. When you come back, call them and cancel it. Verizon will prorate the feature for only the days you've had it.
    But doesn't your allotment of data get prorated as well?

For example 5 Gb/month allowance.

5 day prorate = 1 GB

Any data above 1GB gets charged at the overage price?

Just wondering because I added the tethering option when visiting the family for the holidays and used about 3 GB in 9 days. Wondering if I should remove the plan now to get the prorated price or call them to have it back dated to the beginning of the billing cycle so I don't go over the prorated data allotment.
    01-05-09 01:11 PM
    This is an excellent question I'd like to know the answer to

01-28-09 11:55 AM
86 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD