08-19-09 05:02 AM
86 123 ...
tools
    All -- I'm curious -- can I tether my Curve to my laptop with my $30/mo "Email and Web for BlackBerry" Verizon plan? Or would I need the "Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage" plan for $45/mo?

Thanks,
    Mark
    05-26-08 09:44 PM
    Tethering is extra. I believe $10 per month.
    05-26-08 09:45 PM
    yes you can its $30 more a month
    05-26-08 09:48 PM
    how about $15/month, per verizon.
    05-26-08 09:54 PM
    Verizon's website (at least for BB's) is utterly confusing.

If I start by choosing the World Phone, I get dumped into a workflow where I must select integrated BlackBerry voice/data plans (e.g., 450m for $80/mo, 900m for $100/mo, etc). These prices already include email/internet, but I'm then offered "Broadband Access Connect" for $15/mo (first month free), for tethering your laptop. Reading the fine print, it's free for the first 5GB, and then $0.49/MB. Understood.

BUT, if I choose the Curve instead of the World Phone, then I'm dumped into an entirely different, non-BB workflow. Here, I first choose a 'standard' (non-data) minute package (450m for $40/mo, 900m for $60/mo, etc), and then I must choose between the $30/mo "Email and Web for BlackBerry" plan and the $45/mo "Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage" plan. Reading the fine print on these doesn't imply whether the latter includes tethering or not, which makes it hard to understand what I'm getting for an extra $15/mo. In addition, "unlimited" here isn't defined as above (capped at 5GB, and then $0.49/MB), but rather just throttling your download speed above 5GB (a step closer to the traditional view of unlimited ).

AGH! If 'Broadband Access Connect' = 'Blackberry Solution Unlimited Data Usage', that means a 900m plan with tethering (no messaging) using the World Phone would cost $100 + $15 = $115/mo. OTOH, the same plan with the Curve would be $60 + $45 = $105/mo ($10 less). I would think it would be the same?

Can anyone make sense of this for me?? Thank you!
    05-26-08 11:39 PM
    Data and tethering is $60 total when added to any voice only plan. You can bundle it with the 450 or 900 minute plans and save $5.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-27-08 01:38 AM
    It works like this. If you have the 29.99 blackberry data plan, you have to add the 30$ bba connect feature to be able to tether your device. If you have the corporate data feature 44.99, then you only have to add the 15$ bba connect feature. Either way verizon wireless gets you for 60$ for tethering your phone or if you have a data card its the same.

05-27-08 07:46 AM
    there has to be a way around this.

I use to tether for free with my enV with Verizon.

Now i have a device for it and there is no way to get around it.
    07-13-08 12:01 AM
    So you're upset that you can't steal anymore?

Not sure you'll get much sympathy on that one.

07-13-08 12:14 AM
    there has to be a way around this.

I use to tether for free with my enV with Verizon.

Now i have a device for it and there is no way to get around it.
    There is a product out there called SharkModem that does it, but you do have to buy the software.

You can grab a free trial of it here.

MobiShark Online Blackberry Store: Shark Modem Application
    07-13-08 03:18 AM
    I've never heard that you can tether with a EnV at no charge. If you did, you might have been on an America's Choice plan and it may have deducted off your peak minutes. But to tether, your data plan has to come to $59.99 a month.

C

VZW rep
    07-13-08 08:03 AM
    I've never heard that you can tether with a EnV at no charge. If you did, you might have been on an America's Choice plan and it may have deducted off your peak minutes. But to tether, your data plan has to come to $59.99 a month.

C

VZW rep
    Sure you can. He's using a hack to do it.
    07-13-08 08:49 AM
    Sure you can. He's using a hack to do it.
    I have heard of this. it called theft of serivce. While VZW reps are not police and will most of time not report it.

Network Group or Fraud on the other hand does watch for these kinds of things. The next you know you are no longer getting phone calls, as they have turned off your service.
    07-13-08 08:56 AM
    I have heard of this. it called theft of serivce. While VZW reps are not police and will most of time not report it.

Network Group or Fraud on the other hand does watch for these kinds of things. The next you know you are no longer getting phone calls, as they have turned off your service.
    Verizon is well aware of what is happening within the various phone scenes. Every company is. They just aren't going to go after everybody doing it because it's a massive waste of time and money. They also face the risk of bad public relations as well because many people favor the little guy over the evil corporate entity. Verizon already has plenty of hate as it is for handing out massive amounts of consumer data to the government without a ounce of valid reasoning as to why they did it when tons of other companies stood by the privacy of their customers.

That said, I have not once heard of a case of somebody losing their entire phone service for using a backdoor to tethering. The end result always seems to be a suspension of their data. The same action taken against people who do a heavy amount of streaming on their phones. The big risk is taken when your data numbers start to soar to the point it isn't practical from a phone at all. These are what set red flags off on accounts.
    07-13-08 10:49 AM
    I have the $149.99 plan that is unlimited voice and data usage and I have no problem tethering. It has also not indicated there is an additional charge.
    07-13-08 10:51 AM
    Did you have the tethering feature prior to changing plans?
    07-13-08 11:12 AM
    i guess everyone here pays for the service to tether with and i guess i was looking for a so called hack to tether for free.

I did use my minutes when browsing with my enV but nights and weekends are free of course.
    07-13-08 06:33 PM
    Has anyone tried the Shark Modem software that was listed in the thread earlier ?? And how much is it to buy ???

07-13-08 10:40 PM
    I just saw their price 49.95 ! Anyone tried this ???
    07-14-08 10:42 AM
    Yeah, I've used MobiShark before (trial version) and it works rather well. IMO well worth the $50 price if you use the BB as a modem often.

07-14-08 11:27 AM
    Yeah, I've used MobiShark before (trial version) and it works rather well. IMO well worth the $50 price if you use the BB as a modem often.

This worked with verizon? I dont see how there is a software that can do it but no one can just do it on their own. How does it work?
    07-15-08 12:35 AM
    you can tether with the regular bb plan but you have a 5 gig limit on data. if you go over they are going to know something is up. that's what started happening with regular verizon phones when everyone started tethering the enV's etc.
    07-15-08 07:05 AM
    I can't tether with my regular bb plan.

If you are familiar with a way to tether up to 5 gigs, please share.

07-16-08 02:53 AM
    I just recentely upgraded to a BB Curve after my voyager had a a tragic accident... Anyway the rep told me $29.99 for data and $39.99 if I wanted to tether. A friend says he can tether with the $29.99 option but I don't have any more details then that.
    07-18-08 06:27 AM
    According to Verizon, you must buy the extra cost plan to tether your 8330. They told me $29.95 for BB data plus $29.95 to tether the phone. Also, it was good only for 5gb of data per month. Above that, you pay some outlandish fee PER MB.

Needless to say, I said "No."

Now, can you tether without paying them? That I don't know. Someone else here will.
    07-18-08 06:55 AM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD